Sponsored

Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
This stupid and short-sighted. If the market turns from SUV's, Ford will have nothing to fall back on.

Who is this CEO anyway? :another non-car guy that already has his golden parachute in place-just in case this radical concept bites him in the rear!
Is this what people were saying when the station wagon was going out of fashion, too?
Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Funny, after reading this news a week ago I started to notice SUVs and Crossovers in every parking lot and driveway. The new cars get around 24-26MPG anyway except for the higher HP versions like the Grand Cherokee , Pathfinder, Explorers...

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
My wife’s new Explorer gets the same mpg as her 2011 Taurus with the same engine.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
With the CUV craze, they are just cars with different tops so it would be relatively easy to design a car out of it. And if you get your production streamlined and platforms optimized could probably be done in 1 model year.
As a Launch Engineer I can tell you: HA! Nice joke! :lol:

The Focus ACTIVE is staying. That car only exists in concepts right now. It's more of a Subaru competitor. I also have no need for a hatch or wagon. So if a sedan is cheaper I'll get that instead. I do like BMW wagons though, just look nice.
The Focus Active will go for sale this summer on Europe (So, it DOES exist physically right now, not only in concepts), the thing is that the North American spec won’t be available until next year

Focus: ST is nice....BUT, next generation Focus is going to be Chinese built => Focus is dead to me. The Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or Subaru Impreza (WRX) are all better choices.
Focus RS is awesome, but too $$ to be a volume player.
What about importing both ST and RS from Germany instead?
It would be cool.

I was really looking forward to the next gen Focus RS. A 400hp hot hatch with the dampening issue fixed. Even the next Focus ST with the 2.3L ecoboost would have been a ton of fun on a budget.
Focus ST with the 2.3L Ecoboost? Where did you take that form?

Focus sedans..... are going away, not the hatchbacks.
Ford only mentioned that the US will get the “Active” crossover, not the Hatchback.

ClevelandV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2020 GT or HP Ecoboost
While I agree that cars like the Taurus and the Fiesta need to disappear, killing the Fusion is a mistake.

Agree with what others have said, for those of us who enjoy the driving experience, SUV's are just too bland with less than inspiring handling, braking and driving dynamics. Ford can and should develop a performance variant of the Fusion like they have the Focus - there is still a market for performance sedans. The Norh American market still loves performance vehicles and there is a place for a performance sedan in the line up.

Ecstatic the Mustang remains but how much longer before the "Hack" kills it off too? Deeply concerned about the future of Ford
Regarding your comment about the Mustang...I bet Hackett wanted to kill it off but was over-ridden by Bill Ford, Jr. Remember Hackett killed development of the S650 program.

Sponsored

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
SUV's. Same as sedans, except for worse mileage,
worse handling (even with much larger tires, imagine the Fusion
Sport with 265's all the way around), worse ride quality
and hydroplanes easier (due to heavier/wider wheels/tires),
slower, flips over easier, blows around in crosswinds more.

Look at the Fusion vs Edge (Sports).

EDGE

WHEELBASE: 112.2 in
LENGTH: 188.1 in
WIDTH: 75.9 in HEIGHT: 68.6 in
PASSENGER VOLUME: 114 cu ft
CARGO VOLUME: 39 cu ft
CURB WEIGHT: 4437 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 29.9 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.1 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 98 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 132 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 176 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway: 17/24 mpg
C/D observed: 16 mpg

FUSION

DIMENSIONS:
WHEELBASE: 112.2 in
LENGTH: 191.8 in
WIDTH: 72.9 in HEIGHT: 58.2 in
PASSENGER VOLUME: 106 cu ft
CARGO VOLUME: 16 cu ft
CURB WEIGHT: 4128 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.3 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 24.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.8 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.9 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.5 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.7 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 131 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 178 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.84 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 17/26 mpg
C/D observed: 20 mpg

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Fusion

When the Fusion first came out, it was very nice-looking and different from most mid-size cars. Since then, seems almost every auto maker has come out with a version that looked like it. So much so, that I had a hard time telling them apart when I saw one in a parking lot, or on the road.

They should be able to get back their market share if they could come out with another futuristic design.

If I had to go with a small SUV, I’d easily go for something like this concept. Too bad Ford didn’t do it first, because it has a lot of ‘18 Mustang in the front end.

On the other hand, Ford should get revenge for all the Fusion Clones and just copy this design!

Or better yet, BUY Subaru and rebadge this thing!

(Hey, we finally get a Mustang Wagon!)

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...011A2280256CA19B31E6DC7785DA42763AEAF677A241A
9FF9AB17-04CB-466D-9944-5E8DB2919750.jpeg
1DF32586-7FE9-4ECF-911B-8BE4AE32771F.jpeg

Last edited:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Ford and GM are not making money hand over fist. They both have nearly junk bond ratings, stagnant stock prices, low margins and severely capital intensive business models. I don't think Ford is short sighted at all. Make what you're good at is what they are doing. If you look at models from all companies that have sharply declined in sales. 1 mostly American made and 2 mostly sedans.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
So, I’m watching the A’s vs Astro’s game right now and I get a generic KIA commercial showing only SUV’s, followed by a VW spot for a sale on SUV’s, closed out by a Nissan Roque commercial.

Maybe Fords onto something.

Sponsored

14MustangV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
While I do think that some people will be easily swayed into an Ecosport or an Escape, others will do their research online and avoid the Ford dealership altogether and go buy a Civic / Corolla / etc. instead. Then one day those people will want a bigger vehicle (growing family, etc.), and if they had a good experience with their Honda/Toyota/etc., there's a pretty good chance they will stay with that brand.

I could be wrong, but this decision feels a little short-sighted.

The Focus sales numbers are actually pretty impressive to me considering how awful the DCT transmission is.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
While I do think that some people will be easily swayed into an Ecosport or an Escape, others will do their research online and avoid the Ford dealership altogether and go buy a Civic / Corolla / etc. instead. Then one day those people will want a bigger vehicle (growing family, etc.), and if they had a good experience with their Honda/Toyota/etc., there's a pretty good chance they will stay with that brand.

I could be wrong, but this decision feels a little short-sighted.

The Focus sales numbers are actually pretty impressive to me considering how awful the DCT transmission is.
This.

I needed a sedan with good mpg that would sit 4 easily and the SYNC system in the Fusion sucked. So I bought an Altima. When that got totaled I got the Q50 because it's a lot like the Altima inside but nicer interior, and drivetrain and everything, but MUCH of it is familiar from the Nissan. If I had never bought the Altima, and if had not served me flawlessly, I'd not have the Infiniti now.

Up until the Altima I had ONLY ever owned Fords.

My mom used to buy Mercurys, then got a Civic as she didnt like the 2003 Whatever Mercury had, then she now has a CRV she loves.

My dad on the other hand has had Ford F-series literally my whole life starting the year I was born. His lone gripe is that every maker has added dual exhaust except Ford. Prior to me being born he drove a 69 Camaro SS, and a 70 El Cameno SS. Ford offered him a better deal on a 4x4 w/ AC that could plow so he moved to Ford.

Madigon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
GE tried this too. They've been cutting themselves apart for years and aren't getting anywhere. I see the same thing happening here.

They should be innovating not amputating. This news frustrates me on many levels.

tripleyellowmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 3xyellow EBPP
I don't care whether Ford is making a good or bad move. I won't buy an SUV. I like sedans and hatchbacks and will look elsewhere if I have to. I'm sure Ford won't miss my business and it does seem that many buyers like the SUVs and trucks. I guess Ford has got to do what they deem necessary. Luckily I like Mustangs, but we have bought one Fusion and two Taurus's.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
When the Fusion first came out, it was very nice-looking and different from most mid-size cars. Since then, seems almost every auto maker has come out with a version that looked like it. So much so, that I had a hard time telling them apart when I saw one in a parking lot, or on the road.

They should be able to get back their market share if they could come out with another futuristic design.

If I had to go with a small SUV, I’d easily go for something like this concept. Too bad Ford didn’t do it first, because it has a lot of ‘18 Mustang in the front end.

On the other hand, Ford should get revenge for all the Fusion Clones and just copy this design!

Or better yet, BUY Subaru and rebadge this thing!

(Hey, we finally get a Mustang Wagon!)

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...011A2280256CA19B31E6DC7785DA42763AEAF677A241A
Looks like Subaru copied the face of the 2018 Mustang. Looks awesome too.
Sponsored

Reactions: JWS