Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Well at the very least this might explain some personnel changes at Ford... :shrug:
Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Ballsy. I think Ford is making the right move. It's hard to see sedans making a comeback. If Ford can position itself as the top trucks and SUVs brand then they will be doing very well for the foreseeable future.

edit: Lot of mention of gas prices. Ford wouldn't be doing this move if they weren't planning also on making more fuel efficient engines.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I wonder if the Mustang will stay at Flat Rock with the loss the the Fusion production there.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Never had interest in any ford vehicle except 3 in this order, mustang ranger and f150 but only the lightning and ive owned several of each. Everything else is for the birds. But im a young male mid 30s, women love them fusions!

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ballsy. I think Ford is making the right move. It's hard to see sedans making a comeback. If Ford can position itself as the top trucks and SUVs brand then they will be doing very well for the foreseeable future.

edit: Lot of mention of gas prices. Ford wouldn't be doing this move if they weren't planning also on making more fuel efficient engines.
Which would be more fuel efficient in a sedan than a crossover. If there's an economic downturn or gas prices shoot up, people will spring for what they need (efficient, quite practical) vs what some want (efficient for what they are, very practical, riding higher).

There is zero reason to stop selling a product that is profitable and has a very significant market size.

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I spend all day with computers in IT and you just pained a very depressing future to me.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of driving a car myself with a manual, and the idea of everything being silent, automated and little or 0 information from me is VERY depressing to me. Not even in a sarcastic way. I see the future as VERY depressing, bright and shiny place.
I'm 27 and I couldn't agree more. I'm afraid of the "future" automobile.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
Indeed. People seem to forget exactly what national $4/gallon of gasoline did for truck and SUV sales.
It's a whole different game when your SUV struggles to get 10 MPG and the car gets 25-30 MPG. Payback is short.

But when your CUV gets 22-28 (Escape) you really are not searching for that 30-35 MPG $hitbox.

I still think they should have at least kept the Fusion. It's a really nice car that unlike the Taurus (which started out awesome) didn't die on the vine.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Which would be more fuel efficient in a sedan than a crossover. If there's an economic downturn or gas prices shoot up, people will spring for what they need (efficient, quite practical) vs what some want (efficient for what they are, very practical, riding higher).

There is zero reason to stop selling a product that is profitable and has a very significant market size.
The MPG difference is as drastic as it was when gas was $4 a gallon. I'm sure Ford will cut it close enough that people will still choose SUV over sedan.

It's profitable, but obviously they're betting they'll be more profitable without sedans.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I'm 27 and I couldn't agree more. I'm afraid of the "future" automobile.
Im 29 and have gotten over my fears. Us car guys will continue to enjoy our hobby and passion, we will just be fewer.

I assure you, race tracks will still exist. Drive your electric car to the office, and drive your gas guzzling Mustang on the weekends at the track (its more fun there anyways). :cheers:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The MPG difference is as drastic as it was when gas was $4 a gallon. I'm sure Ford will cut it close enough that people will still choose SUV over sedan.

It's profitable, but obviously they're betting they'll be more profitable without sedans.
If sedans were a small market I'd agree with you. Small markets with profit, albeit very low margins, are the kinds of markets where you question staying in. They become a distraction and drain on the high volume & profit products.

Honda and Toyota just launched brand new Accords and Camrys. They are selling very well.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This is the only thing that will stop the head long rush for all suv line up

Trump’s Fiddling With Fuel Economy Standards: Blocked
David TracyMonday 2:25pm

A United State Court of Appeals in New York just blocked the Trump Administration’s attempt to continue delaying penalties associated with automakers failing to meet federal Corporate Average Fuel Economy targets.

https://jalopnik.com/tag/epa

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
If sedans were a small market I'd agree with you. Small markets with profit, albeit very low margins, are the kinds of markets where you question staying in. They become a distraction and drain on the high volume & profit products.

Honda and Toyota just launched brand new Accords and Camrys. They are selling very well.
Yeah, the Japanese domination is probably another reason Ford left the market. They can't compete. And why would they if the Sedan is heading towards an inevitable irrelevance?

I mean it's still a big market, but all signs show it in a sharp decline.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
I mean it's still a big market, but all signs show it in a sharp decline.
This. Head over to goodcarbadcar.net and look at the sales data. Sedans and small cars from everyone are in decline and have been for a while now.