Sponsored

Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
Lemonade and Popsicle's most certainly do not costs the same. Those looking for lemonade will simply venture over to a different maker who is more than willing to sell them.
An Escape or Edge cost about the same as a Fusion depending on trim levels.
Fusion $22-30k
Escape $23-33k
Edge $29-36k

I doubt it's as black and white as people think. I bet many go to dealers wanting one thing and then coming out with something totally different. Or they may hear about the new, hot Popsicle and go to check it out and buy it.

That Focus Active looks a lot like a wagon to me...
Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Well, electric cars are definitely the future and not that far away. Partially why I feel even better being able to have ordered a 2019 Bullitt. It could be the last V8 Bullitt made. The next one could likely not come with a V8! Kind of reminds me of the Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson is driving a V12 Vantage in Scotland....Lamenting that that could be the last one of the true V12 supercars....

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
It's a bold move, but it could pay off. The Fusion and Taurus were coming up on full model redesigns, which is an incredibly expensive process. By canning those models all together, they can test the waters with this new mostly SUV/Truck lineup with little risk.

If the plan fails, then they can start the Fusion / Taurus programs back up where they left off (I'm sure some re-design has already taken place).

My gut says that this plan will work out well for them. Here in the northeast, Crossovers / SUVs easily out number cars 4-1. At first I thought it was a snow thing, but I make similar observations when traveling. I couldn't believe how many cross overs I saw in Florida when I was there last month.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of business model is losing customers a smart financial move? Customers in the market of cars are not considering SUVs or trucks. They will go to a different dealership and build a new relationship with them. They may buy a SUV or truck in future but Ford has lost them and they may not consider a Ford SUV or truck ever because they have converted to whatever brand name of their new car and buy their SUV. What kind of smart business model is that, Jim Hackett?

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Well, no small, inexpensive, efficient Ford for my commuting or retirement. I won't buy electric until there are breakthrough's in battery technology. I have not seen a battery yet that can last past 6-7 years, at $5000-8000 to replace, most likely out of warranty, I won't consider it.

This is crazy, as others mentioned, when gas skyrockets SUV sales tank. Diversity of product is the key to survival.

Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
All that bean counters like Jim Hackett usually know is how to cut. Cut costs, cut employees, cut spending. They don’t know how to *grow* a business, only how to cut.

Trouble is, no company has ever shrunk to greatness.

This is the fundamental problem in this country. Only thinking about the short term. Companies only care about pleasing Wall Street in the next earnings call.

This will go down in history as a huge mistake. Years from now, case studies will be studied in business school about what not to do. Gas *will* go back to over $4 a gallon at some point - we’re always just one stupid political decision in the Middle East away from that happening. Not if but when that happens, all of Ford’s truck and SUV sales will be just a sweet summer memory, and they’ll have nothing to sell.

Stoughton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Bullitt
Well, no small, inexpensive, efficient Ford for my commuting or retirement. I won't buy electric until there are breakthrough's in battery technology. I have not seen a battery yet that can last past 6-7 years, at $5000-8000 to replace, most likely out of warranty, I won't consider it.
Well, someone has - Hyundai has a lifetime battery warranty. Toyota has a 8 year/100k warranty, as does Ford.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Hackett is living up to his name....

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
All that bean counters like Jim Hackett usually know is how to cut. Cut costs, cut employees, cut spending. They don’t know how to *grow* a business, only how to cut.

Trouble is, no company has ever shrunk to greatness.

What about Apple computer when Jobs came back? They got rid of a bunch of product, seemed to help them a bit

Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Future Cars

Four dour mustang someday with hidden/trick door handle?
Maybe they are taking the sedan to Lincoln?

Shocked. I woulda thought the Fusion made the cut -- if you want a sedan from Ford it's the Fusion. Combine some of your disappearing Focus and Taurus sales into Fusion, and that sounds like a solid $ maker. I had a 2013 Fusion, it was a great family car and what got me interested in Ford again.
The Future is:

https://revologycars.com/car/1967-shelby-gt500/

Just waiting for their S550 Repros. Of course they will cost 4 times what a new Mustang costs today.

Lincoln will keep the Sedans, or disappear.
954C7991-469E-4D8C-9E9A-4E1B954812F2.jpeg

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Hard to say how this goes, but the CUV/SUV's can be made fuel efficient with the use of hybrid/plug in or all electric versions if gas goes up, and I think that is what Ford is going to do. Glad to see the Mustang survive and hopefully it means that the Mustang will be around to take part in the future of innovation.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Just give it time and when the world finds out that these Electric vehicles are basically a rolling toxic waste factory the whole discussion will change....Plus the fact that most of our electric energy still comes from fossil fuels....its a stupid game

But im guessing that disposing of these batteries isnt a fun deal.
Sponsored