Sponsored

Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I’m all in favor of Ford’s plan. I think it’s the right move for the time. I bold move even.

But... Jim should NOT be doing that video. My gosh.

He sounds so nervous, he made ME nervous. And they didn’t even edit his stutters.

At least get like Dwayne Johnson or someone to do the announcement. Do it big, do it right, and make it seem cool. Not scary.

This video should be shown in schools of what NOT to do when making a bold move public.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
SUV's. Same as sedans, except for worse mileage,
worse handling (even with much larger tires, imagine the Fusion
Sport with 265's all the way around), worse ride quality
and hydroplanes easier (due to heavier/wider wheels/tires),
slower, flips over easier, blows around in crosswinds more.

Look at the Fusion vs Edge (Sports).

EDGE

WHEELBASE: 112.2 in
LENGTH: 188.1 in
WIDTH: 75.9 in HEIGHT: 68.6 in
PASSENGER VOLUME: 114 cu ft
CARGO VOLUME: 39 cu ft
CURB WEIGHT: 4437 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 29.9 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.1 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 98 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 132 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 176 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway: 17/24 mpg
C/D observed: 16 mpg

FUSION

DIMENSIONS:
WHEELBASE: 112.2 in
LENGTH: 191.8 in
WIDTH: 72.9 in HEIGHT: 58.2 in
PASSENGER VOLUME: 106 cu ft
CARGO VOLUME: 16 cu ft
CURB WEIGHT: 4128 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.3 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 24.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.8 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.9 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.5 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.7 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 131 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 178 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.84 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 17/26 mpg
C/D observed: 20 mpg
Why are you comparing old models and platforms, to what is coming..?

And once again, MPG won't matter as much, because Ford's newer SUV will have electric motors, along-side efficient turbo engines.

The rest of your argument is laughable. SUVs handle much better in all kinds of weather and are typical AWD and have longer suspension travel and all purpose tires.

tripleyellowmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 3xyellow EBPP
Why are you comparing old models and platforms, to what is coming..?

And once again, MPG won't matter as much, because Ford's newer SUV will have electric motors, along-side efficient turbo engines.

The rest of your argument is laughable. SUVs handle much better in all kinds of weather and are typical AWD and have longer suspension travel and all purpose tires.
If this is true why don't they primarily race SUV's, instead of hatches and sedans?

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
I keep waiting for an Aprils fools! Ugh. I do not agree with this decision, and i hope they bring back cars as my fiance and i were looking to buy a fusion in a year or two.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
In the Northeast it's mainly the Fords. The Ecoboost 3.5 is a stout engine - it handles the "abuse" just fine - don't forget it's also in the F150.
Meanwhile in georgia...
25513860156_23b16609d2_b.jpg

Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Meanwhile in georgia...
Id take a taurus 3.5 AWD over that for a patrol car personally. Plus they still produced the police interceptor crown vic after the standard production car was phased out, they might do the same with the PI taurus.

Last edited:

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Id take a taurus 3.5 AWD over that for a patrol car personally. Plus they still produced the police interceptor crown vic after it was phased out, they might do the same with the PI taurus.
I would too i hate dodge, im just making a point, ford is cancelling taurus and dodge is selling chargers lots and lots. To everybody not just the gsp

Carbon Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

An electric motor along side efficient turbo engines will perform better in a lighter sedan than heavier SUV.

SUVs handle much better because they have AWD? Fusion already has AWD. If you don’t go off-roading then there is no need for longer suspension travel. All-purpose tires are terrible in performance driving. All of your arguments are “laughable”.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would too i hate dodge, im just making a point, ford is cancelling taurus and dodge is selling chargers lots and lots. To everybody not just the gsp
True story :cheers:

Sponsored

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Ford and GM are not making money hand over fist. They both have nearly junk bond ratings, stagnant stock prices, low margins and severely capital intensive business models. I don't think Ford is short sighted at all. Make what you're good at is what they are doing. If you look at models from all companies that have sharply declined in sales. 1 mostly American made and 2 mostly sedans.
If they are making so much money off SUV's, why did I just get 6 grand off the sticker on a left over Escape (they had plenty of them and I didn't even have to ask). Ford has a big problem with reliability and our last escape was the worst of 5 new fords since 2014 (it also had the highest mileage, but it needed things like a new trans @ 41K).

Lucky for Ford (for now), I bleed Ford blue and the SE escape with only 2.0 engine is hard to beat, performance-wise for the money. When I switch brands for my next car, they better hope I don't fall in love with it, and decide to switch brands for my next SUV also (especially if the sedan ends up more reliable, which won't be hard).

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
I predict a Ford - Chinese manufacturer alliance/merger. Ford sucks big time in China (they simply don't like Ford cars) and more often than not loses money in Europe where it has about 10% market share. ...GM sells nothing in Europe. That would solve once and for all the issue of manufacturing cars cost efficiently and set the new company up to be highly relevant in the two largest car markets (China and North America) The big get bigger...that's the way the word works and there is no reason to doubt that will happen over time.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
SUVs handle much better in all kinds of weather and are typical AWD and have longer suspension travel and all purpose tires.
They may cope better with deep snow, mud, and unpaved roads, but that's not the same thing as "handles better". Not at all.

SUV "handling" - if you dare call it that - has a heavy, clumsy feel about it and SUVs are inherently at vehicle-dynamics disadvantages compared to sedans.

Norm
Sponsored