Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
2019-Ford-Mustang-GT-Bullitt-V8.jpg

2019 Wards 10 Best Engines: Gasoline, Diesel, Electrification Honored

“I never thought I’d live to see the day when a fuel-cell car and a battery EV would make the list the same year as two burly V-8s and a sophisticated 4-cyl. engine with variable compression,” says WardsAuto editor Drew Winter.

For the first time ever, three pickup-truck engines appear on the Wards 10 Best Engines list, while four electrified powertrains make the cut for the second consecutive year as well.

Rounding out the field in this 25th year of the Wards 10 Best Engines competition is a muscle-car V-8, a German luxury turbocharged inline 6-cyl. and a groundbreaking turbocharged 4-cyl. with variable compression ratio.

WardsAuto editors chose the winners after spending October and November evaluating 34 engines and electric propulsion systems during routine commutes in metro Detroit.

Other notable trends this year: Ford wins two trophies for the second year in a row, and Hyundai wins two awards in the same year for the first time ever. A hydrogen-powered fuel-cell vehicle makes the cut for the third time, and two V-8s earn trophies in the same year for the first time since 2015.

“I never thought I’d live to see the day when a fuel-cell car and a battery EV would make the list the same year as two burly V-8s and a sophisticated 4-cyl. engine with variable compression,” says Drew Winter, WardsAuto senior content director.

“Automakers and their powertrain engineers are being pushed in different directions: Governments around the world want low emissions and electrification, while customers want vehicles that meet their every need without compromise. We believe this year’s list represents the industry’s ability to deftly satisfy both demands.”

This year’s winners (in alphabetical order by brand):

3.0L (B58) DOHC Turbocharged I-6 (BMW X5)
6.2L OHV V-8 with DFM (Chevrolet Silverado)
5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT/Bullitt)
3.0L DOHC TurboDiesel V-6 (Ford F-150)
2.0L DOHC Atkinson i-VTEC 4-Cyl./HEV (Honda Accord Hybrid)
120-kW Fuel Cell/Electric Propulsion System (Hyundai Nexo)
150-kW Propulsion System (Hyundai Kona EV)
2.0L DOHC VC-Turbo 4-Cyl. (Infiniti QX50)
2.0L DOHC Atkinson 4-Cyl./HEV (Lexus UX 250h)
3.6L DOHC Pentastar eTorque V-6 (Ram 1500)

Wards Intelligence data confirms falling take-rates for big V-8s, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy a few last hurrahs. And the latest iteration of the 5.0L V-8 in the ’19 Ford Mustang GT – and in particular, the pitch-perfect version in the Bullitt – makes us smile every time we punch the throttle.

We have no complaints with the 460-horse powerplant in the standard GT, but there’s something extra-special about the Bullitt, which breathes through a wider throttle body borrowed from the Shelby GT350 and gets a freer-flowing active exhaust that’s music to an enthusiast’s ears.

On paper, the Bullitt engine picks up a mere 20 hp over the GT, but on the road the Bullitt demonstrates how small changes and careful attention to tuning can bring new life to mature technology and create a whole new level of firepower.

Rest of release can be read at https://www.wardsauto.com/2019-10-b...gines-gasoline-diesel-electrification-honored
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm glad the Gen 3 5.0 is getting additional recognition. It is a top 10 engine IMO. So much modern technology in this engine.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Too bad Ford doesn't offer the "Bullitt" engine package for regular GT to get that extra power included with warranty.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Grats to Ford.
Personally, I think Ford needs to work on their 2.7L V6 turbo....

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Too bad Ford doesn't offer the "Bullitt" engine package for regular GT to get that extra power included with warranty.
The differences between the GT and Bullitt engines are way overblown in the this article. They have identical acceleration times and trap speeds.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Oh my God. Hold it, a published article about the Gen III Coyote without a single mention of the BBQ death rattle?!?!

upload_2019-1-1_19-30-17.jpeg
upload_2019-1-1_19-31-35.gif

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I assume that Ford will release an official ford "power pack" for the 18 to 19s for the way they did for the 15 to 17s. They have 3 available for the 15 to 17s ranging from 1) tune only, to 2) tune plus CAI and throttle body to a 3) Tune CAI, throttle body and manifold. All fully factory warrantied etc. I am guessing what is on the bullet is a preview of that pack but I am also guessing ford waits until deep into 19 to release it so as not to piss off bullet owners.

I am sort of waiting around for that as my tune and intake deal for my 18 but still debating on that vs a Steeda plus Lund set up.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
I assume that Ford will release an official ford "power pack" for the 18 to 19s for the way they did for the 15 to 17s. They have 3 available for the 15 to 17s ranging from 1) tune only, to 2) tune plus CAI and throttle body to a 3) Tune CAI, throttle body and manifold. All fully factory warrantied etc. I am guessing what is on the bullet is a preview of that pack but I am also guessing ford waits until deep into 19 to release it so as not to piss off bullet owners.

I am sort of waiting around for that as my tune and intake deal for my 18 but still debating on that vs a Steeda plus Lund set up.
You are right about the power packs. Or they might include it in the 2020 MY. Beside GT500, let's see what else Ford will show us for 2020.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I am guessing what is on the bullet is a preview of that pack .
I hope that the Bullitt is Level 1, would not be worth it if the new FP pack level 3 tuns out to pretty much be the Bullitt gain....

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I'd guess a low take rate for a power pack that gets you no more torque, adds only 20 HP at a speed few will ever approach, and may be tossing fake engine noise in as part of the tune.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
All the Coyote(and RoadRunner) engine configurations have been outstanding. Really, a top 10 engine since it came out.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
I hope that the Bullitt is Level 1, would not be worth it if the new FP pack level 3 tuns out to pretty much be the Bullitt gain....
True bit with the GT350 intake , throttle body and cai if bet a more aggressive tune than what's on the bullet could yield a bit more...say 490?

I would pay in the neighborhood of $1,000 for 30 fully warranted horsepower and all that engine dress up. Being able to keep the warranty solid while doing my mods is a priority until the car is paid off. If I can't keep the warranty on safe ground I may be limited to suspension and cosmetic mods for the forseeable future of which I'll be close to done with soon anyway.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Needs to be offered in a GT, paired with a A-10 and called the Mach 1.
Only it it comes factory with staggered tires and 315s in the rear, and louvers would be mandatory, drag mode would be the default when you start up the car and the suspension spring rates and subframe/chasis would have to be a heck of a light tighter than even what is on the PP2. Also, retro styled wheels, cloth seats only and no magna ride or digital dash or driving sensors crap. Maybe another Steeda/Ford partnership deal with steeda suspension heavily featured.
Sponsored