Sponsored

For those with journal bearing turbos...

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Do you run restrictors in your oil lines? I'm having a bit of a dilemma about it.

Precision says DO NOT run restrictors with journal bearing turbos.
Hellion supplies a 0.035in restrictor with both their journal bearing and ball bearing kits.

A friend lost his turbos and he's thinking these restrictors may be the cause. Just trying to figure out what you guys are doing about this.
Sponsored

pwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I run 0.028 in my ball-bearings (which I thought were the no-no). Otherwise, the oil pressure is too great and it smokes. Even 0.30 and there's noticeable smoke, per my conversations with Hellion, a little bit is normal because of the seals that Precision uses.

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I run 0.028 in my ball-bearings (which I thought were the no-no). Otherwise, the oil pressure is too great and it smokes. Even 0.30 and there's noticeable smoke, per my conversations with Hellion, a little bit is normal because of the seals that Precision uses.
Thanks for the insight. I just don't know who to listen to since both companies say the opposite thing and they both should definitely agree on this. It doesn't seem like it's a topic that would be up for debate.

I'm not having smoking issues but due to other failures I've seen around me using the same parts I have, I'm a bit concerned.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
All else fails listen to the people who actually make the turbos. Which is worse a little light smoking, or turbo failure?

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Different world but a lot of GM turbo experience... I never ran restrictors on several different large/small shaft journal bearing precision turbos even with high volume oil pumps and never had an issue. When I switched to my first BB turbo, I only made it a short while before it pushed oil out of the seals and into the downpipe. Replaced the seals and made it even less time. I talked to several people and heard similar stories with BB turbos. Obviously there is a a range where you are supplying enough oil without pushing out the seals even on a journal bearing turbo. I doubt turbo manufacturers will be excited about telling you to put in a restrictor and running the risk of starving the turbo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
All else fails listen to the people who actually make the turbos. Which is worse a little light smoking, or turbo failure?
I'd prefer neither. There MUST be an option with neither.

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off the phone with john himself at hellion, think I may myself just go to a few size larger restrictor jet, but they should be chiming in here soon as I told him about this thread and few of us with this kit are currently wondering!

Last edited:
OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Just got off the phone with john himself at hellion, think I may myself just go to a one size larger restrictor jet, but they should be chiming in here soon as I told him about this thread and few of us with this kit are currently wondering!
Awesome. Looking forward to hearing their thoughts on it. Seems like something thats way better to fix proactively rather than reactively once there's an issue.

Last edited:

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Do you run restrictors in your oil lines? I'm having a bit of a dilemma about it.

Precision says DO NOT run restrictors with journal bearing turbos.
Hellion supplies a 0.035in restrictor with both their journal bearing and ball bearing kits.

A friend lost his turbos and he's thinking these restrictors may be the cause. Just trying to figure out what you guys are doing about this.
Hello.

As a kit manufacturer we consider all vehicles that may be using our product, and that includes logging oil flow of each engine.

The reason we send a .035 orifice in the Coyote systems is due to the high oil pressure this engine produces. Some systems for GM, Chrysler, Etc. may get no jet or a different size.

Due to the vast array of applications that Precision turbos are used on, they have a policy to use no restrictors in any build to avoid oil starvation. We have more experience with each kit we build, so we are able to "set" the oil flow to each turbo depending on the engine used, thus we are able to send different size jets per system.

We usually recommend that builds that are planning to routinely exceed over 750 rwhp, option for a Ball Bearing upgrade, as this technology can handle more extreme conditions (Heat etc).

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Team Hellion

Last edited:

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
thats a great response. im hoping to grab a turbo kit for my car next tax return. I think the hellion kit has an interesting unique look

Sponsored

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I went to a larger .048 restrictor jet, that is .013 larger than the ones included... hopefully no issues!

pwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I went to a larger .048 restrictor jet, that is .013 larger than the ones included... hopefully no issues!
I'm curious how that turns out. I would absolutely love to run a larger restrictor but anything over .028 and my setup doesn't seem to like it.

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
I'm curious how that turns out. I would absolutely love to run a larger restrictor but anything over .028 and my setup doesn't seem to like it.
You have ball bearing turbo’s though. They require much less oil than his Journal bearings.
Sponsored