For those who have repaired their front rims inner barrel ceramic coating

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
Well after numerous back-and-forth written and verbal communications with Ford warranty department and the Ford dealer, looks like the most viable option to repair the chipping / peeling / flaking portions of my LF CF rim ceramic coating and the common "pebble groove" on the RF CF rim will be via Spyder Composites in CA. I spoke to Frank, sent him the pics, etc., and he quoted $500 per rim to repair the inner barrel ceramic coating to OEM spec. Frank was very nice and said his shop is full of CF rims right now.

For others that have gone the path of repairing their inner barrel ceramic coating on the front rims, what spare / replacement front rim options did you evaluate? What front rim did you ultimately choose? I am looking at the following option with the Ford center caps; however, it appears this rim will not fit the front of the GT350R. I am going to call LMR tomorrow morning and clarify this. I do not want a 19x10 front "spare" rim. I won't be tracking the car with the spare fronts, but want to find suitable and reasonable priced 19x11 fronts. Further, I don't want to buy a different size tire for a 19x10 that I won't use that often; rather get the best bang for my buck and be able to use the tires on the spare 19x11 and the CF 19x11 rims.

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-177912H/sve-r350-wheel-black-19x11-15-18

Does anyone have other suggestions for front spare GT350R rims?

Lastly - dare I ask - are there other viable repair options for the inner barrel ceramic coating besides Spyder Composites? I am by no means discounting Frank's great work, his reputation, nor the cost of the repair; that all seems very reasonable. I am curious if others have found viable options for this issue.

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored

Attachments

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
bump - 70 views and no reply. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Here is a set of wheels in R fitment - brand new. I'm not related in any way to the seller (don't know him even though he is somewhat local). I know lots of folks here like signature wheels and you could ask @50 Deep if this is a good price. I assume it is.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bnib-signature-sv503-20x11-11-5-wheels.158288/

Good luck!
Thanks for sharing. Look like nice rims. I am trying to find replica GT350R gloss black rims in 19x11 with OEM offset. So far I am striking out. SVE is the closet, but they offer the front in 19x10.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone

Sponsored

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
If you want a closer copy of the OEM wheels, look into VIBE. They're is the best you can get outside of the OEM CF wheels.

They're more expensive than SVE but they come in 19x11 with OEM offsets and use OEM lug nuts too.

https://www.vibemotorsports.com/whe...ged-concave-wheels-rims-fits-ford-mustang-gt/
Very nice looking rime, but those also appear to be 19x10 fronts and 19x11 rears. I am striking out on finding OEM GT350R replicas with a 19x11 front that has same specs / offsets of the CF rims.

I suppose temporarily running a 19x10 front with a 285, as opposed to a 19x11 with a 305, is not the end of the world. It is not a permanent rim change but rather only while the CF front rims are off and the ceramic coating being repaired by Spyder Composites.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Email them directly. I have a set of 19x11 on all 4 corners on my car for track use. They can make 19x11.5 too if you want. They can do 19x11 front in exact R spec. @icormba and @live2ride90 have them on their GT350Rs

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Email them directly. I have a set of 19x11 on all 4 corners on my car for track use. They can make 19x11.5 too if you want. They can do 19x11 front in exact R spec. @icormba and @live2ride90 have them on their GT350Rs
Do you know all of the specs (measurements, offsets, bot pattern, etc.) for the GT350R front rims? I am having trouble tracking this down.

I am email dialoguing with the folks at VIBE. They were very responsive.

Thanks.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Am I understanding this correctly, you want to leave the oem carbons on the rear and run an aftermarket on the front.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Am I understanding this correctly, you want to leave the oem carbons on the rear and run an aftermarket on the front.
Negative - this is for a spare set of quality front rims while the OEM carbon fibers fronts' inner barrel ceramic coating are being repaired at Spyder Composites. This is not a permanent change of front rims.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Why wouldn’t Vibe have all of the OEM specs? I’m confused.
I tracked the specs down and confirmed with VIBE.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Let me esplain:

1. LF CF rim has patches of ceramic coating that is chipping / peeling / flaking. It also has the common "pebble groove" - at 2,800 miles.
2. RF CF rim has minor pebble groove. Nothing to bat an eye at really.
3. I filed warranty claim with Ford for the LF rim
3. Ford initially denied the claim
4. I filed appeal; the Ford dealership was fantastic; they went through two avenues and they opined that the rim should be replaced and the damage (chipping / flaking / peeling) to the inner barrel ceramic coating was not likely caused by debris / object / pebble.
5. Ford denied appeal last Friday.
6. Ford has separately offered to split the cost of replacing the LF rim with me (apparently I have a high customer score with the 9 or so Fords I have purchased in 20 years); the warranty rate is $6,600 (not including tax and labor); Ford offered to pay 50% or $3,400 for the rim
7. I am debating this, but not likely going to accept. The structure / integrity of the CF rim is solid; the ceramic coating is the issue. I really don't want to spend $3,400 (plus tax and labor) for a spare CF rim.
8. With other members helpful info, I got in touch with Frank at Spyder Composites; cost to have each rim ceramic coating repaired to OEM spec is $500
9. In the meantime, I don't want my GT350R sitting on jack stands for 2,3,4 weeks (Spyder Composites said they are very busy), so I investigated a temporary spare replacement set of front rims that would be replicas to the GT350R style. There do not appear to be many options for GT350 replica gloss black painted.
10. Two options I found - 19x11 from VIBE that is about $1,125 each (custom forged), or, SVE R350 front rim that is about $270 each (cast flow formed) , but it is only available in 19x10 with the offsets that will fit the GT350R front brakes.
11. Really don't to go with a 19x10 temporary set, as I'll need 285/35/19 tires and that is another size tire I will have laying around the garage (though my 2018 Roush SC GT fronts are 19x10 with 285/35/19).
12. The option from VIBE seems solid, and those are quality rims that could hit the race track albeit not as light and not the same properties as the OEM carbon fiber.

So these are the options I am considering. I was told by other members that it is a low likelihood that the front brakes would experience "failure / excessive heat build up" and penetrating through the damaged coating and adversely impacting the CF material. It was suggested that I do a cool down lap or two when finishing up at the track to allow the brake heat to dissipate, as opposed to just parking the car after tracking it and letting that heat bake the front rims.

I would appreciate other members thoughts on this matter. Obviously willing to spend the money, but want to try and make the most logical decision here.

Also, the Ford dealer apparently does not have the tire machine tech to dismount / re-mount a carbon fiber rim. One of the top Ford dealers in the country. I was surprised by this.

Thanks.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Let me esplain:

1. LF CF rim has patches of ceramic coating that is chipping / peeling / flaking. It also has the common "pebble groove" - at 2,800 miles.
2. RF CF rim has minor pebble groove. Nothing to bat an eye at really.
3. I filed warranty claim with Ford for the LF rim
3. Ford initially denied the claim
4. I filed appeal; the Ford dealership was fantastic; they went through two avenues and they opined that the rim should be replaced and the damage (chipping / flaking / peeling) to the inner barrel ceramic coating was not likely caused by debris / object / pebble.
5. Ford denied appeal last Friday.
6. Ford has separately offered to split the cost of replacing the LF rim with me (apparently I have a high customer score with the 9 or so Fords I have purchased in 20 years); the warranty rate is $6,600 (not including tax and labor); Ford offered to pay 50% or $3,400 for the rim
7. I am debating this, but not likely going to accept. The structure / integrity of the CF rim is solid; the ceramic coating is the issue. I really don't want to spend $3,400 (plus tax and labor) for a spare CF rim.
8. With other members helpful info, I got in touch with Frank at Spyder Composites; cost to have each rim ceramic coating repaired to OEM spec is $500
9. In the meantime, I don't want my GT350R sitting on jack stands for 2,3,4 weeks (Spyder Composites said they are very busy), so I investigated a temporary spare replacement set of front rims that would be replicas to the GT350R style. There do not appear to be many options for GT350 replica gloss black painted.
10. Two options I found - 19x11 from VIBE that is about $1,125 each (custom forged), or, SVE R350 front rim that is about $270 each (cast flow formed) , but it is only available in 19x10 with the offsets that will fit the GT350R front brakes.
11. Really don't to go with a 19x10 temporary set, as I'll need 285/35/19 tires and that is another size tire I will have laying around the garage (though my 2018 Roush SC GT fronts are 19x10 with 285/35/19).
12. The option from VIBE seems solid, and those are quality rims that could hit the race track albeit not as light and not the same properties as the OEM carbon fiber.

So these are the options I am considering. I was told by other members that it is a low likelihood that the front brakes would experience "failure / excessive heat build up" and penetrating through the damaged coating and adversely impacting the CF material. It was suggested that I do a cool down lap or two when finishing up at the track to allow the brake heat to dissipate, as opposed to just parking the car after tracking it and letting that heat bake the front rims.

I would appreciate other members thoughts on this matter. Obviously willing to spend the money, but want to try and make the most logical decision here.

Also, the Ford dealer apparently does not have the tire machine tech to dismount / re-mount a carbon fiber rim. One of the top Ford dealers in the country. I was surprised by this.

Thanks.
What I hate is the pricing games they do. Dealer cost on a front CF rim is about $4,600. The dealer if they are in your corner could easily offer to sell it to you at their cost. And Ford's cost is even lower as they make a profit on selling to the dealer.
Of course Ford isn't taking $3,400 off the price but making it sound good. Let's say Ford sells it to the dealer at their cost plus 20%, the rim costs Ford $3,800 so how much are they really losing by covering $3,400. (half so they say).
Sponsored