Sponsored

For Those who have an A10 GT.....2018-2021

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
Hello All,

I am bouncing back and forth between a Mach 1 and a GT with Performance Pack and wanted to know more about the A10 as that will be my choice no matter what I get due to being older with some tired legs...lol. In reading some articles about the 18's and 19's it seems that the A10 might have had some issues early on. Has the A10 been problematic at all and is it better to go newer (2020 and 2021) due to any improvements in the transmission?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The Mach1 does have a supposed "updated" 10R80, however it's most likely just a cooler, upgraded converter and more aggressive tuning.

Besides that, all 10R80s are basically the same throughout the years with the same faults.

OP
OP

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the car going to see heavy track use? If not, you're fine. Now stand-by for comments from the "manual or Camry" crowd.

The car will not be tracked at all. I understand that is more the purpose of the Mach 1 but I would use either for strictly daily driving.

Thanks!!

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
I have the A10 in my 2019. I haven't had any 'issues' with it, other than being half a quart low on fluid from the factory. The only thing that worries me about it, is that it makes the oddest noises I have ever heard from a transmission. Lots of clicks clacks and whining.. its never missed a beat tho lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the only consistent issues I've read about have been due to failure during heavy track use.
One of the issues I read about, at least early on, is that the A10 had some trouble finding the right gear from time to time. Was that a big issue?

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Drive both if you get a chance. See what suits you. We can only give our personal opinions, but i'd never go back to a manual now, and this is coming from a die-hard manual guy for 20+ years and after driving the 10R80, i was hooked.

Yes.. the 'driver involvement' is out of the equation, but manual mode is a blast. its also much easier to live with, faster, the drive modes make it much more adaptable to your needs. But on the opposite side, manuals are a dying breed - so you should enjoy it while you can.

Either way, you can't go wrong, but it comes down to what you enjoy. The 10R80 is not your typical slushbox automatic by any means. It's more of a race transmission in daily driver disguise.

Last edited:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Having owned a '19 Bullitt and now an '18 GT 10R80, I would buy the 10R80. My '18 is now procharged and my Bullitt was Whippled. Owned both cars stock before I put the superchargers on.

If you have to pick, I would take the 10R80 over the stick. I have not driven the Mach 1 with the Tremec (which I ordered), but the tuning and performance will be nearly identical to the Bullitt.

The 10R80 is a blast. In some ways the correct transmission (in my opinion) for the Mach 1, which heralds to the '69 model which was really a straight line muscle car (with the 4 barrel 351/428).

Supercharged, the 10R80 is also happy. But, even stock the shifting is bang, bang, bang. Fast and fun. You can also shift with the paddle shifters as well.

As far as 1/4 mile times, the 10R80 will waste the stick so bad it isn't even funny.

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
2020 GT w/ A10. Zero issues and giving the chance, I would buy it again. Really a great transmission.

lokerola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
A10 in my 2019. No issues here.

There are days when I wish I had gone with the manual, because manuals are fun. Then I drive to work in traffic and remember why I went with an auto.

And the auto is freaking fast. In sport mode this thing rips.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Let me re-iterate my post. There are no issues with the 10R80, the only complain I hear and experience is some odd noises and not always smooth shifting. But the trans itself is solid and as mentioned super quick.

ss27gogeta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zach
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I just got my 2020 with the A10 I'm a die hard manual guy but the A10 has changed my mind on that this thing is awesome it shifts so fast and the paddle are fun to. The only complaint I have is if your just casually driving around the transmission feels busy and kinda clunky. But open her up and she rips through the gears without skipping a beat. I feel like the A10 likes to be driven little harder any ways that's were it feels the best.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't own an A10 car, so let me give you my opinion on why it's bad. It shifts for you. Very quickly, in fact. You might even win a race or two because of it. But because it shifted for you, the wins don't count. Ask any real racer.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
‘20 GT PP and I love the A10

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Let me re-iterate my post. There are no issues with the 10R80, the only complain I hear and experience is some odd noises and not always smooth shifting. But the trans itself is solid and as mentioned super quick.
Same here. Mine occasionally makes some weird whining noise since it was new. Ford says it is the fluid pump and is normal. 22k miles and no problems. Late 2019 GT PP vert. I love it!
Sponsored