For those of you who transitioned from GT350 --> GT500

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
I have a 2020 GT350R and a 2021 GT500 CFTP.

I finally have some miles on the GT500.

I'll post some thoughts on both after I collect my thoughts.

D.
Same boat here. I track my 350R and it is fantastic. I need to continue to learn and get better on the track. The car has great capabilities. My 500 needs more break-in miles before hitting the track / strip next year (been garaged for the winter).

For the guys who say the 350R is lacking power - I do not entirely agree here. On the track and staying in power band / high rpms, it is excellent. It could benefit from a little more power.

The 500 - friggin rocket off the line. You're at 60 in a blink and then at 100 quickly thereafter. The DCT shifting is so smooth.

Now on the street, the 500 drives much nicer / softer. I am not entirely sure why. Would love some better explanation from the tech gurus on this. The 350R is not terribly road friendly in my opinion.
Sponsored

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I had the opportunity to drive one at a Ford owners marketing event at my local race track - so I had the benefit of a lot of time in my 2017 GT350 on the same track.

TO me to solved all the problems I had with the 350. More power down low, more power up top, more top speed/more torque through out the range ... heel and toe'ing seems easy on paper until you try it in a 350 at 120+ MPH... I was sold on the DCT as soon as I hit the first 90 degree turn...

The way I explain the difference is the 350 is best most romantic version of the past american style race cars while the 500 is the future, a 24 hours Le Mans prototype experience for the street

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Interesting views. I started a poll on this subject, and now I think I may make a decision. Going to check out a GT500 I have a deal on today in earnest. We will see how it goes.

clg82

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I had the opportunity to drive one at a Ford owners marketing event at my local race track - so I had the benefit of a lot of time in my 2017 GT350 on the same track.

TO me to solved all the problems I had with the 350. More power down low, more power up top, more top speed/more torque through out the range ... heel and toe'ing seems easy on paper until you try it in a 350 at 120+ MPH... I was sold on the DCT as soon as I hit the first 90 degree turn...

The way I explain the difference is the 350 is best most romantic version of the past american style race cars while the 500 is the future, a 24 hours Le Mans prototype experience for the street
Future?!? Electric is the future, Furd already named an electric SUV after the mustang...

Sponsored

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
How would a GT500 be on a track like Lime Rock? COTA is obviously the track for the GT500, but LIme Rock is much different than COTA. Is Lime Rock too small for a GT500?

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
How would a GT500 be on a track like Lime Rock? COTA is obviously the track for the GT500, but LIme Rock is much different than COTA. Is Lime Rock too small for a GT500?
Skip barber racing school is at lime rock. They use stage 3 Roush mustangs which are 750 hp

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
Skip barber racing school is at lime rock. They use stage 3 Roush mustangs which are 750 hp
Skip Barber uses either formula ford type cars or 325HP Mustang GTs at Limerock presently.

While Limerock is generally referred to as a Porsche friendly track you can run both 350's and 500's there, you just need to be good definitely cautious (I'm the second at present).

I've had friends run sub 1 minute laps with 350s. Definitely good times and capable of beating most of the Porsches and other exotics that run there.

Magazine tests ran sub 1 minute with the 500 on a bad weather cold day (very tricky for the 500) on the long track with the added chicane. They say the normal track alone would drop the time 3-4 seconds??? Who knows.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Skip Barber uses either formula ford type cars or 325HP Mustang GTs at Limerock presently.

While Limerock is generally referred to as a Porsche friendly track you can run both 350's and 500's there, you just need to be good definitely cautious (I'm the second at present).

I've had friends run sub 1 minute laps with 350s. Definitely good times and capable of beating most of the Porsches and other exotics that run there.

Magazine tests ran sub 1 minute with the 500 on a bad weather cold day (very tricky for the 500) on the long track with the added chicane. They say the normal track alone would drop the time 3-4 seconds??? Who knows.
You are correct. They have many of the old Miller Motorsports Park mustangs. I should clarify my earlier post. They recently started this program with Roush which uses the stage 3 cars I was referring to:

https://www.skipbarber.com/courses/roush-intro/

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I have to interject regarding Roush. For a company with the resources and capability they have I can't help but cringe every time I see them selling their latest. Phase Two or Stage 3......some of the cheesiest marketing terminology that rubs educated enthusiasts the wrong way. The rear quarter window louvers that they plaster on just about any Mustang package they sell - good God they are ugly. Who keeps insisting on them being used? Awful. The rest of the hardware they make is quality and gets the job done without issue.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Completely agree. They could take some very needed styling cues from Saleen. The cars look like they pulled up to Pep Boys and asked the counter person to throw the kitchen sink at the exterior of the car and double up the name tags.

I have to interject regarding Roush. For a company with the resources and capability they have I can't help but cringe every time I see them selling their latest. Phase Two or Stage 3......some of the cheesiest marketing terminology that rubs educated enthusiasts the wrong way. The rear quarter window louvers that they plaster on just about any Mustang package they sell - good God they are ugly. Who keeps insisting on them being used? Awful. The rest of the hardware they make is quality and gets the job done without issue.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I mean is Roush still doing well in NASCAR ? That's the core of it

Unless the vehicle 'manufacturing' is separate from the racing side of it , makes sense so one side of the ship doesn't bring down the other.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roush/Roush Yates racing endeavors are totally different than the group that does post title Mustang work.

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
I drove both cars last week. It is amazing how much different the 2021 GT500 CFTP vs. 202 GT350R.

One would think they are pretty much the same both being S550s, but they aren't. I'll run thru some items:

Styling - GT500 CFTP is over the top. Love the hood cooling. Wing and wheels awesome. GT350R is more subtle. Both are winners, but the GT500 is over the top.

Power - GT500 is the winner but the GT350 is so much fun to drive. We talk about how high the 350 revs. The 500 isn't far off. I actually find the lock of torque on the bottom end with the 350 to be a plus - can get out of the hole without totally lighting up the tires. Also, it sounds so good above 6000rpm.

Exhaust - both awesome. 350 up high is better. GT500 is better overall.

Transmission - I like them both but the old school 6 speed that is super silky smooth is totally awesome. Probably the best feeling manual transmission ever. The 7 speed DCT in the GT500 is amazing. Had a 2020 C8 and the programming in the GT500 seems better. Looking for a great manual trans - the 350 is second to none. GT500 for an auto is amazing. With no rev match you really need to know how to heel toe a manual to drive the GT350R properly.

Interior - Both have manual recaros. The GT350R are tighter than the GT500. Overall I would say they are both damn good seats. I don't miss the power seats, memory, etc. I am the only one driving it. It is weird that they swap the radio controls left to right.

Dash - GT350R is very easy and straight forward. GT500 lots of configuration. I have not spent enough time sorting thru every option tut he GT500 could use a couple more buttons - way too many menus. I suspect more seat time in it will make it better.

Handling - The GT500 understeers for me. I figured with all the extra weight on the nose it would oversteer. The GT350R just goes where you think it needs to go. I have to say the 350 has bad tram lining. I am hoping some non-Cup 2 tires will help that.

Brakes - both amazing.

What else am I missing? I really like them both. I will say the GT350R is harder to drive well. I like heel toe shifting and the overall fun factor. It is very apparent the GT350R is much lighter than the GT500. I am stoked to be able to afford both of them. I don't see getting rid of either anytime soon. Daily driver - a GT500 base would be great. Track toy / 2nd car - GT350.

D.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very well said Darin. I rather enjoyed reading that and think you nailed it.
Sponsored