Sponsored

For any one with a supercharger did you upgrade the oil pump gears?

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I know. I am saying I am changing the oil pump gears and the crank gears for peace of mind so I don’t get catastrophic engine failure of any sort. What I am asking is how common is it to also change the oil pump itself. Not just the gears. It seems very uncommon. Meaning it seems only necessary to change the gears while the oem oil pump itself people leave alone.
Oh gotcha no you do not need to replace the pump itself. Gears should do the job.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I replaced them. You never think your going to hit the rev limiter in an automatic. Then your intermediate shaft breaks in your transmission. On the 1st to 2nd shift at 8000rpms And boom, you bang the shit out of the limiter. The transmission repair was 3 grand. Imagine if the cost of the engine gets piled on top of that? There is no such thing as a mild street build with boost. I will never understand these guys that throw 10 grand at a supercharger & install. Then skimp on things like A good fuel system or OPG.

Last edited:

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Yes. Think of it like wearing a condom. She may be on the pill but...

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Out of three local shops the cheapest estimate for oil pump gear swap was $3227.40 not including the part. I will risk it...

Sponsored

Maxlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2009 F150 Lariat
Yes I replaced them.

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
$3200 labor for opg?! lol. run don't walk.

most shops in my area will do it for about $600.
If I could find it for even $1500 that would be a steal for my area it seems.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Did not Midnight Performance and Lund tuning just run a 7.9 @ 170 mph on stock sealed motor? I get piece of mind, but have your tuner set it up to not slam rev limiter. If/when I go FI I’m going to skip it. jmo

Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Did not Midnight Performance and Lund tuning just run a 7.9 @ 170 mph on stock sealed motor? I get piece of mind, but have your tuner set it up to not slam rev limiter. If/when I go FI I’m going to skip it. jmo
I'm going to ask a dumb question, but I'm curious. Have heard the stock pumps are a weak point--made out of sintered iron or similar, apparently--but why would FI make them even more of a liability? Rods, pistons, etc. I can see being destroyed by greater BMEP, but 7,400RPM is 7,400RPM whether you got there naturally or forced; does the quicker acceleration overload the pump?

Edit: I just recalled that 'heavier' oil--20W-50 probably--is usually recommended for boosted engines; I can see that putting more stress on the pump.

Last edited:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I'm going to ask a dumb question, but I'm curious. Have heard the stock pumps are a weak point--made out of sintered iron or similar, apparently--but why would FI make them even more of a liability? Rods, pistons, etc. I can see being destroyed by greater BMEP, but 7,400RPM is 7,400RPM whether you got there naturally or forced; does the quicker acceleration overload the pump?

Edit: I just recalled that 'heavier' oil--20W-50 probably--is usually recommended for boosted engines; I can see that putting more stress on the pump.
It is the loading and unloading on a rev limiter which can (main cause) break the gears.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Yes but thats not sustainable. They know that if they keep doing this, it won't be many passes before they grenade the motor.

I still can't believe the lowest quote you got was 3+ bands. If you are handy with the wrench and have your own tools, you can do this yourself in a garage. In the UK I got it done for about 750 bucks.

With FI you have to bare in mind that you are changing the entire setup I. E. You are adding pulleys and supercharger and running a longer belt which changes the harmonics/vibrations. It's the vibrations which are killing the stock OPGs hence when I did it, I saved up and also had the crank pulley replaced with an ATI damper.

Mind you I'm planning on keep this thing for life.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
nope, but i dont drag race, bounce off the limiter or have a 2 step, just a weekend toy..motor pops, i'll just build it better, running 700 wheel on a vmp gen3 kit
Sponsored