Sponsored

For all the not so happy crowd hearing just 760HP nothing special poll

Who here actually has a 700HP plus car and or had driven one?

• Total voters

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
im just shy of 700 and thats plenty for the streets. them getting 760 with warranty and all is decent.. and im sure once its tuned and a pulley it will scream..so 760 is a nice starting point
Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Not disappointed! I'm looking for the total package. I have two 500+HP cars, an 03 Cobra (modified 506 RWHP) and a 13 SRT300 (lightly modded). I've driven an Aston Martin Vanquish, a Ferrari TT and a McLaren MP124C and want this to aspire to be a little bit of those in a modern pony car.

My hope this car is a true GT sports car that has the ability to rocket down the strip, take on a road course, and allow my wife and I to take trips around the Midwest in comfort. I'll be ordering a Base model with the handling and tech packages. It should be a hoot and people who complain because they wanted 20-30 more HP to be happy don't understand that "balance" is what makes a great car. We also own an 02 Miata (Springs, shocks, and wheels) and it makes me smile every time I drive it - proving you can have a lot of fun with only 150 HP and a car that brings "balance" to the driving experience.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
actually the most disappointing thing with gt500 and also applies to gt also is no way to shift the car with a console shifter ..the dial is lame and the gt500 and gt only gives you paddles ..next is the GT500 has a DSG 7 speed .maybe good for road racing but thats it ..should have atlas went with a torque convertor 8 speed if not 10 speed ...

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
It does not matter what people think anyway. But what were you expecting from other forums? Did you think the competition would throw a party? Ford waited to long and people got bored. And now some are not impressed.
absolutely correct they hyped it and WAITED WAY TOO LONG!!!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've never driven a 700 hp car, but I've passed them quite a few times at the track.

I think the GT500 has PLENTY of power. Anything over 700 is insane power in my book. Most cars that make that much power can't utilize it anyway. If the GT500 can control the power it has, it will be amazing.

Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don't get the people saying 760 hp for a factory car with a warranty that meets emissions requirements is not that impressive. It is 50 more hp than a McLaren 720S and Ferrari 488 Pista, a lot more hp than many other Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and IIRC more than all factory Porsches, BMWs, Aston Martins, Bentleys, Mercedes AMG, etc. People think because it has less hp than a Redeye or a Demon it's not that impressive. I say, that's ridiculous. It is 5 more hp than the most powerful Corvette ever - the 2019 ZR1. As if the GT500 has to knock the ZR1 out with 850 hp or some crazy output. Please, give me a break. It is one of the most powerful production cars you can buy. I mean, heck, a $190k Porsche 911 Turbo S is "only" 580 hp. This thing has 180 more hp than a 911 Turbo S, and some people are ho hum. The $300k Porsche 911 GT2 RS is "only" 700 hp. The list goes on of supercars that this has more power than.
Agreed. We should be very impressed at 760. Additionally, if it can put the power down and be forgiving on turns, it should impress all real car fans.
If its like the Hellcat and Corvette (deadliest car - 2019) on power and handling, I will consider going back to the GT350.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
actually the most disappointing thing with gt500 and also applies to gt also is no way to shift the car with a console shifter ..the dial is lame and the gt500 and gt only gives you paddles ..next is the GT500 has a DSG 7 speed .maybe good for road racing but thats it ..should have atlas went with a torque convertor 8 speed if not 10 speed ...

Oh yeah, DCT cars without a big center console mounted shifter are so lame ... oh wait ...

22_e7440498-7a5b-4dcd-b.jpg

(BTW, DSG is a manufacturer specific implementation).

Also this:

51fg6bi-rwL._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
absolutely correct they hyped it and WAITED WAY TOO LONG!!!
Yeah, 5 years since 2014 model. And when you think its really since 2012 as the 2013s came out (100 HP added). But, if its other-world handling like the GT350, all will be forgiven. With that said, sub 70K MSRP is in order.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, 5 years since 2014 model. And when you think its really since 2012 as the 2013s came out (100 HP added). But, if its other-world handling like the GT350, all will be forgiven. With that said, sub 70K MSRP is in order.
Yeah, I was pretty confident we'd see ~755HP, but really the whole equation requires the price. If the base model (that's still fully loaded in terms of convenience features, audio, etc.,) does land anywhere south of $70K, it'll be a spectacular deal.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
760 at the crank is more than enough for many who will buy this car. It's gonna be a beast, especially if it handles too. More so if it can put that power to the ground effectively. And that's a big IF.

My '07 GT500 was lightly modded to just under 550 at the wheels. It was essentially useless on standard street rubber. It was a hoot to drift it around on dry pavement like it was on ice though, and terrified many a passenger. Looking back at it, that thing was pretty silly, an overpowered, ill-handling pig.

Personally, I think the GT350 hits the sweet spot as far as power level in a road car (imagine if they were ~3000 pounds). I wonder how long it will be before the first new GT500 is balled up by an inexperienced owner. It's inevitable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
My 2013 put down 611 to the tire. That car was largely unusable even with a full suspension setup on it and some good rubber on it, one of the main reasons I got rid of it.

After I first installed the blower and had the stock Pirelli's on it I could do 100mph rolling burnouts down the interstate......anywhoo it seems like the new 500 will be stout.

Question:
Since the 500's motor is based off of the Voodoo 5.2, is anyone concerned about the same issues that have plagued the GT350 coming over to the 500?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I'm fine with 760HP just want to know how much weight it's pulling.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
[QUOTE="DuRsT, post: 2581860, member: 42221Question:
Since the 500's motor is based off of the Voodoo 5.2, is anyone concerned about the same issues that have plagued the GT350 coming over to the 500?[/QUOTE]

My 2011 GT500 made 720 RWHP and 669 TQ. I actually dialed it back to 700 even. It was a 10sec car in the S.FL heat. On the streets I would not even attempt to get into it. I did not use DR's because of the S.FL weather...(Rain on this street and dry on that one) The damage I received on my 65 taught that lesson to me, so On my Nitto's and Goodyears I could notget grip so I had to be mindful on how I did things.

People thinking that Oh it has 625 tq only will be the ones we will be reading about at cars and coffee wrecks. Even if the car dyno's at 600 rwtq, thats a lot of TQ on street tires. That is a lot of TQ on DR's. The HP number will clock in around the high 600's That too will be plenty of power to get you in trouble on the street.

As for the quote, Ford has already revised the GT350 block for the 19's. I think the GT500 will be fine when it hits as that is concerned.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yeah, I was pretty confident we'd see ~755HP, but really the whole equation requires the price. If the base model (that's still fully loaded in terms of convenience features, audio, etc.,) does land anywhere south of $70K, it'll be a spectacular deal.
Yeah, I expected 750-780.
My 2013 put down 611 to the tire. That car was largely unusable even with a full suspension setup on it and some good rubber on it, one of the main reasons I got rid of it.

After I first installed the blower and had the stock Pirelli's on it I could do 100mph rolling burnouts down the interstate......anywhoo it seems like the new 500 will be stout.

Question:
Since the 500's motor is based off of the Voodoo 5.2, is anyone concerned about the same issues that have plagued the GT350 coming over to the 500?
I think the past issues have been mostly solved. It has all the coolers now and not using high rev FPC helps it. I expect an improvement from 2014 GT500 and added some of the best of GT350. I will only drive street and I hope I can put down most of the power and not fishtail.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
760 at the crank is more than enough for many who will buy this car. It's gonna be a beast, especially if it handles too. More so if it can put that power to the ground effectively. And that's a big IF.

My '07 GT500 was lightly modded to just under 550 at the wheels. It was essentially useless on standard street rubber. It was a hoot to drift it around on dry pavement like it was on ice though, and terrified many a passenger. Looking back at it, that thing was pretty silly, an overpowered, ill-handling pig.

Personally, I think the GT350 hits the sweet spot as far as power level in a road car (imagine if they were ~3000 pounds). I wonder how long it will be before the first new GT500 is balled up by an inexperienced owner. It's inevitable.
Personally, I think the GT350 had sweet spot after 2nd gear. I left a lot to be desired off the line. IMO 575 - 600 would be perfect to me.
Sponsored