Sponsored

For a daily driver with plans to track it, GT350 or GT?

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Mach 1 is the technical answer IMO. But factor in emotions and you may end up with a gt350. What you gain with the gt350 experience you give up on engine reliability if you’re really going to track it. Many people who have tracked gt350’s a lot say not to do so out of warranty. I’d be nervous to.

Also consider if you’ve owned a Porsche prior. Unless you’re a hardcore ford guy I think there’s some rule that you can’t buy a gt350 unless you just came from a Porsche. 😜
Sponsored

azshelby350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2016 Shelby GT350 "FPRS #9"
Maybe I missed it but what do you mean by “tracking?” A GT or Mach 1 will undoubtedly make a better DD, cost less, cause less headaches and concerns, etc. But the racetrack is where the differences lie. If by “tracking” you mean an autocross or standard HPDE event a couple times a year then the GT350 is less necessary as the balance weighs in favor of what is a better DD. But if you, like me, plan on taking your car to the track 1-2x per month and drive the crap out of it (I do) and want to run time trials and such (I do), then no GT will ever feel as special as a GT350 no matter how many mods you throw at it. GT’s are dime a dozen, Shelby’s are investments and crowd pleasers (just don’t be one of those idiots on YouTube that crashes into said crowd). The sound of the engine alone makes your original question a no-brainer. Driving a car with the heritage of Ford and Carroll Shelby’s early days together is so special. And the GT350 will always retain its value better too.

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory 5 1965 Shelby Daytona Replica in progress, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Nissan Leaf(gasp)
Vehicle Showcase
I am also debating the same question. For me, the GT probably makes more sense as it will be my DD. I would probably take it to the track to experience it once this summer and do a few AutoXs but mainly it would be a DD. I have been building Factory Five Shelby Daytona Coupe with a Coyote and a Tremec 6 speed that I am hoping to get to a painter this summer and then it will take over track and autoX duty next year after I get it registered and sorted.

The GT350 just seems special to me and seems like something I might keep longer than the GT which is what is making it a hard decision for me. I also think the GT350 might holds value a little better than a normal GT. At the same time, the GT would have a longer warrantee and probably be a little better to drive around town.

I like the idea of the Mach 1 but I could get a GT350 for less and it just seems like a more special car in my mind. I'm also not sure I really need all the extra cooling and suspension when it will only get a little track and autoX time before being strictly a DD. Makes me think I am either better off going for the softer cheaper GT or just going all out for the GT350.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
and want to run time trials and such (I do), then no GT will ever feel as special as a GT350 no matter how many mods you throw at it.
How many seconds a lap does "feeling special" gain you? You talk about running time trials, but then you mention how a car "feels" or how rare it is. What does feeling special have to do with running time trials 1-2x a month?

A properly prepped GT can run circles around a GT350 in a time trial. I bet you there are a ton of shitboxes out there that don't "feel" anywhere near as special and rare as your GT350 but can crush your times.

Sponsored

mybootsonfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wanted a GT350 but bought a GT because I thought it would be close enough, especially after some mods. It wasn't. Everytime I looked at it I just thought about how it wasn't really the car I wanted. Then one day I was at a stoplight next to a gt350 and heard the voodoo in person for the first time and it was all over. Took my GT down to a dealer and traded it in on a GT350.

Now I daily my 350. 9000 miles in 9 months. I figure what's the point of owning a great car if you don't drive it every chance you get?

S550pp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (performance pack)
I may be biased, but the Mach1 was made for people like you. It’s got the proven tack times and performance you’re after with the 350, with the proven reliability of the 5.0 power plant you’d want In a daily driver. If it’s novelty you’re after we are on pace for there to be considerably fewer Mach 1’s with production slowdowns and the car only running 2 (possibly 3) model years to the 350’s 5 year production. Oh and they are numbered too.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
How many seconds a lap does "feeling special" gain you?
Feeling special will increase lap times thus getting more value per lap. H Street autocross logic.

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Ford F-150
I may be biased, but the Mach1 was made for people like you. It’s got the proven tack times and performance you’re after with the 350, with the proven reliability of the 5.0 power plant you’d want In a daily driver. If it’s novelty you’re after we are on pace for there to be considerably fewer Mach 1’s with production slowdowns and the car only running 2 (possibly 3) model years to the 350’s 5 year production. Oh and they are numbered too.
I have been reading up on the limited production and have only ever seen one Mach 1 in my area vs 0 GT350s so I could definitely see Mach 1s becoming increasingly rare as time goes on.

Do you daily or track your Mach 1? Overall what is your opinion of it compared a GT or GT350? And if you don't mind my asking what was your deciding factor in purchasing one?

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How many seconds a lap does "feeling special" gain you? You talk about running time trials, but then you mention how a car "feels" or how rare it is. What does feeling special have to do with running time trials 1-2x a month?

A properly prepped GT can run circles around a GT350 in a time trial. I bet you there are a ton of shitboxes out there that don't "feel" anywhere near as special and rare as your GT350 but can crush your times.
Lap times don't mean anything in this context. OP is looking for enjoyment, not lap times. So feeling special is much more important than how fast the vehicle is.

That's another reason I would pick the GT350. It feels much more special than a GT, even if you are creeping along at 10 mph in bumper to bumper traffic during your daily commute.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Lap times don't mean anything in this context. OP is looking for enjoyment, not lap times.
I was more replying to azshelby who said that he does time trials 1-2x per month, and thus he chose the GT350 because it feels more special that no GT can ever match.

S550pp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (performance pack)
I have been reading up on the limited production and have only ever seen one Mach 1 in my area vs 0 GT350s so I could definitely see Mach 1s becoming increasingly rare as time goes on.

Do you daily or track your Mach 1? Overall what is your opinion of it compared a GT or GT350? And if you don't mind my asking what was your deciding factor in purchasing one?
Since the 6th generation, I was originally a Camaro guy (I know, I know) and really enjoyed my 17 SS on the alpha platform. The Mach 1 is every bit as agile as my SS was, so a 480 HP 5.0 with 7,500 redline made this a no brainer as a replacement. I’ve only had to opportunity to get her on track once so far and it is an ABSURDLY quick track car, the revised gearing, torque curve, and brakes make this thing a real weapon. On the street you get to enjoy all the latest tech and creature comforts of a well optioned GT premium, the digital dash gauges among my favorites.

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
Since the 6th generation, I was originally a Camaro guy (I know, I know) and really enjoyed my 17 SS on the alpha platform. The Mach 1 is every bit as agile as my SS was, so a 480 HP 5.0 with 7,500 redline made this a no brainer as a replacement. I’ve only had to opportunity to get her on track once so far and it is an ABSURDLY quick track car, the revised gearing, torque curve, and brakes make this thing a real weapon. On the street you get to enjoy all the latest tech and creature comforts of a well optioned GT premium, the digital dash gauges among my favorites.
I get my love of cars from an avid camaro & corvette lover so to hear the Mach1 converted you from a Camaro certainly peaks my interests in the car; especially how it performed on the track for you. The more I hear & read about the Mach1, the more it appeals to me. Definitely going to have to get out there & test drive one!

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
I wanted a GT350 but bought a GT because I thought it would be close enough, especially after some mods. It wasn't. Everytime I looked at it I just thought about how it wasn't really the car I wanted. Then one day I was at a stoplight next to a gt350 and heard the voodoo in person for the first time and it was all over. Took my GT down to a dealer and traded it in on a GT350.

Now I daily my 350. 9000 miles in 9 months. I figure what's the point of owning a great car if you don't drive it every chance you get?
Ah that's what I'm afraid of, I'll order a GT or Mach1 and then one day run into a GT350 and realize I made a mistake. On the flip side, the GT350 horror stories have me worrying that I'll buy the car and then my engine will decided to blow the minute it's out of warranty.

Have you run into any issues so far dailying it and do you track it/plan to track it at all? How often do you need to fill up on gas? Obviously MPG isn't a big consideration/issue for me but I'd rather not be at the gas station every day lol.

Last edited:

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Ok I know I'm gonna get bashed for this. I'm not a brand fan boy. Love fast Cars. Here we go:
For the price you are going to pay for a M1, an SS 1LE is going to spank it at any track any day. Assuming same driver skill. Its also a GM parts bin car. No bespoke parts to worry about should you trash it. Its never going to be worth anything... but... it's got magna ride so, if you want a great track car and a daily driver and are worried about the costs of maintaining a GT 350 or the up front costs of a M1 might I suggest test driving a SS 1LE.
The one thing I miss in my GT 350 is that insane chevy small block instant torque.

So, unless you absolutely have to own a mustang consider it.

PS, this is not a dig at you but meant for the OP.
Sponsored