Sponsored

For a daily driver with plans to track it, GT350 or GT?

5oh_Roush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stage 3 Roush
I was stuck on the same thought process a month ago. I was flirting between an M1 and GT350, but ultimately decided on a 2021 Roush. No tremec transmission, but still Manual gearbox, upgraded magneride suspension, 5.0 engine, and they push 750 HP.

I bought mine with 2300 miles and DD it in West Texas, with plans of tracking it soon. There are some changes I plan on making, but not many performance changes. You can find '21s for a comparable price used between M1s and GT350s. Plus, there was only 258 2021 Stage 3s made, so exclusivity is also nice.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Ford F-150
The daily driver GT 350 topic has already been discussed. Yes, you can daily it, but most don't. Its a shame you can't have a beater for a DD and use the 350 for a weekend/track car. That would be the best solution.

I don't know if he's still around but @UnhandledException daily drove his '17 track pack and just recently traded it in. I think he had 80K miles on it. So it has been done and it can be done, but I probably wouldn't do it.
I saw his post about that & that is partially what worries me. I do have a DD now that I plan to trade in but it may be worth waiting a little longer in order to keep both so I can keep my GT350 nice.

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
I just had my first track day with my new '21 base GT. Did not get the PP cause i can do better stuff to the car with the $6500. Couple things to consider, i can track it all i want and still have factory warranty if something breaks and is a mach 1 really worth the extra 20grand? I had 2 mach 1 's at the event with me and both of them could not catch me to pass.....until my brakes started to fade.
At this point for a few grand extra the mach 1 will cost me the same as a GT350, and I'd rather have a GT350. What upgrades did you do to your GT?

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
If you're going to mod it, for sure getting a base GT for mid 30s and doing 20k worth of mods will be better than stock Mach.

If you want a 100% stock car that you can just get in and drive without worrying about issues and/or warranty then you can't beat the Mach.
The Mach is tempting in that sense and I would probably boost it after the warranty was over for an extra kick. I'm not opposed to modding but I would prefer something I can fine tune over something that needs to be built.
I track mine and its my daily, and my only car. It's definitely doable, but I'm not going to lie, it takes a lot of effort and diligence to keep it running tip-top for all scenarios. I honestly think a Mach 1 would probably be more practical for my needs, but I love the Voodoo too much to ever get rid of it.

Will the GT350 give you more anxiety and frustration? Absolutely. Does the fun outweigh it? Definitely, though that might be different for everyone.

I have absolutely no regrets with my GT350 in the 18 months I've owned it, though I'll admit I'm already looking for a shitbox to daily in the winter. The GT350 is definitely out of it's element in the snow...
Thankfull I live in Texas so we don't get the stereotypical winter weather & I can garage it for the rare snowstorms. How many miles does yours have so far and have you run into any big long-term reliability issues?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If I had plans of driving my car fast (as I do) I'd look at the situation a little differently than most of what's written here. First, if you get a car built by Ford Performance, you actually get a different car than one built by FoMoCo. Financially, it's difficult to equal an FP car's performance for the cost of starting with a non-FP car and changing parts. It can be done, but it's very hard to do it for much less. Been there, done that, chose not to do it again.

A few of the important things that set FP cars apart from regular Fords, as I've learned by owning a Ford and two FP cars, is the subtleties. In the electronics, FP's calibrations for ABS, stability control, suspension control (if magride) and so on are built to enable spirited driving. You can throw the car around without AdvanceTrak reeling you in. For brakes, front-to-rear brake balance is set up for track use, and the brakes are capable of track use without modification. In the drivetrain, there are coolers everywhere. For track use, heat is the enemy, and FP has it under control.

Now, all that said, if you can get by with maybe 85% of what an FP car can do, a GT with a suspension kit and a BBK will probably make you happy. It'll handle well, it'll be quite affordable and you can just pull the dyno plug to make AdvanceTrak leave you alone.

Sponsored

Bullitt Tooth Tony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350 H3929
The Mach is tempting in that sense and I would probably boost it after the warranty was over for an extra kick. I'm not opposed to modding but I would prefer something I can fine tune over something that needs to be built.

Thankfull I live in Texas so we don't get the stereotypical winter weather & I can garage it for the rare snowstorms. How many miles does yours have so far and have you run into any big long-term reliability issues?
It has 43k miles on it now, about 15k of which I've put on it myself. So far the only reliability issue has been the AC system, which is a common problem. I've needed to replace a leaking AC line and the AC compressor. Aside from that, the piston slap makes me nervous but that's normal as well.

The biggest annoyance is honestly keeping up with your oil. I have to add a quart about every 700 miles, which is slightly better than what Ford deems acceptable. I check my oil level every time I get gas, and I'm looking at the oil temp/pressure gauges far more than any other gauges when driving. It's important not to over-rev the engine while the oil temp is low.

I've done a few things to make it a better daily, but the best by far has been a 2nd set of wheels with 285/40/19 Mich AS4s. The tires have pretty much eliminated tramlining, and the larger sidewall helps a ton with ground clearance. Despite being all seasons, they have plenty of grip for the street as well, and if I'm tracking or autox it I just switch to my other set.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
In this particular scenario, it would be Mach 1 all the way.

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
It has 43k miles on it now, about 15k of which I've put on it myself. So far the only reliability issue has been the AC system, which is a common problem. I've needed to replace a leaking AC line and the AC compressor. Aside from that, the piston slap makes me nervous but that's normal as well.

The biggest annoyance is honestly keeping up with your oil. I have to add a quart about every 700 miles, which is slightly better than what Ford deems acceptable. I check my oil level every time I get gas, and I'm looking at the oil temp/pressure gauges far more than any other gauges when driving. It's important not to over-rev the engine while the oil temp is low.

I've done a few things to make it a better daily, but the best by far has been a 2nd set of wheels with 285/40/19 Mich AS4s. The tires have pretty much eliminated tramlining, and the larger sidewall helps a ton with ground clearance. Despite being all seasons, they have plenty of grip for the street as well, and if I'm tracking or autox it I just switch to my other set.
I've heard a lot about the AC being a handful but that's not a huge concern for me, it can be fixed. The oil is the other big issue but it's fairly well priced here and my commute to work is 2mi round trip so it will take me a long time to get to 500. (I've wracked up just a little over 2k miles in the past 6 months on my current car this year doing all my daily driving.) I'd still check regularly just to be safe. Thanks for the tip about the tires, if I do go the GT350 route I'll check those out!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I own a GT, but I would say if you have the money - buy a GT350. I do think the prices on used cars are too high right now. I wouldn't really want a Mach 1, but it's probably a better deal for the money at this time compared to the others. To me the brand new GTs are too ugly. I would buy a pre-2018 GT or a new Mach if not buying a GT350.

Everyone talks about the Voodoo engine and the Tremec transmission, but the GT350 brakes are also stellar. The feel of the GT brakes are not anywhere near as good. I owned a GT350 and daily drove it plus occasional road course use for 3 1/2 years and 30 something thousand miles.

Anyway, if price and cost of maintenance are not concerns for you, I would buy a GT350 again in a heartbeat. It's terrific for daily and awesome on track as well. I wouldn't get an R. I think the regular GT350s are already a little annoying with the overly low front splitter that likes to drag everywhere. The R is more for just special occasions and the track. You could definitely drive an R every day, but it will be a little more annoying.

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the input/advice guys. The GT350 or Mach 1 is what I'm leaning towards, but they are so over priced right now. I know that's mainly due to COVID and the discontinuation of the GT350, but GT350s in my area are currently in the high 60s pushing low 70s and while I expected the value to increase some, it boggles my mind to be paying that much + ADM on top. We're approaching GT500 territory there

Currently the new Mach 1 appears to be the most feasible for me as I'm trying to stay between 50-60k. I'd love to buy a low mileage used Mach 1 in hopes of getting it sooner and saving some extra $ for mods, (Ford pushed my Dad's truck back till February/April, he ordered it in August) but some of those cost even more than GT350s. I've heard the car market should be cooling off in 2023 and I'm hoping the announcement of the Gen7 mustang will also help as people will be selling their current mustangs in order to purchase the new ones. Is it worthwhile to wait till later next year to see if I can get a good deal on a GT350 or Mach 1?

Last edited:

Sponsored

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
Thanks for all the input/advice guys. The GT350 or Mach 1 is what I'm leaning towards, but they are so over priced right now. I know that's mainly due to COVID and the discontinuation of the GT350, but GT350s in my area are currently in the high 60s pushing low 70s and while I expected the value to increase some, it boggles my mind to be paying that much + ADM on top. We're approaching GT500 territory there

Currently the new Mach 1 appears to be the most feasible for me as I'm trying to stay between 50-60k. I'd love to buy a low mileage used Mach 1 in hopes of getting it sooner and saving some extra $ for mods, (Ford pushed my Dad's truck back till February/April, he ordered it in August) but some of those cost even more than GT350s. I've heard the car market should be cooling off in 2023 and I'm hoping the announcement of the Gen7 mustang will also help as people will be selling their current mustangs in order to purchase the new ones. Is it worthwhile to wait till later next year to see if I can get a good deal on a GT350 or Mach 1?
I also wouldn't daily a GT350.

I bought mine for weekend use and bought a 3.5K electric leaf for commuting.

Regarding pricing -> I agree it feels overpriced, but honestly, what would I rather have that feels somewhat analog and offers a raucous experience at all times. The only thing at the same level of desirability for me is a Porsche GTS and you don't even want to look up those prices.

Yeah you might be close to a C8, but I can straight faced say I'd rather have the 350 regardless of price difference. The C8 is a grand touring car (but a fantastically capable one). The 350 is a visceral emotional machine.

OP
OP

Tx88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jenna
Vehicle(s)
I also wouldn't daily a GT350.

I bought mine for weekend use and bought a 3.5K electric leaf for commuting.

Regarding pricing -> I agree it feels overpriced, but honestly, what would I rather have that feels somewhat analog and offers a raucous experience at all times. The only thing at the same level of desirability for me is a Porsche GTS and you don't even want to look up those prices.

Yeah you might be close to a C8, but I can straight faced say I'd rather have the 350 regardless of price difference. The C8 is a grand touring car (but a fantastically capable one). The 350 is a visceral emotional machine.
The C8 and GT350 and on entirely different levels, I agree, but corvettes are one of my favorite cars aside from Mustangs & GT350s. It was more of a comparison between favorite/dream cars than abilities as I would love to own both one day.

While I don't love the overpriced feel of the GT350's price tag, I don't plan to let it deter me very much from purchasing the car if it's what I end up going with. I simply want to get the best possible car within my price range; even if that means waiting a little longer for the market to drop or for my budget to expand.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
my commute to work is 2mi round trip
This means the car will never fully warm up. These short trips are harder on the car than running 200 mile round trips per day.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
The C8 and GT350 and on entirely different levels, I agree, but corvettes are one of my favorite cars aside from Mustangs & GT350s. It was more of a comparison between favorite/dream cars than abilities as I would love to own both one day.

While I don't love the overpriced feel of the GT350's price tag, I don't plan to let it deter me very much from purchasing the car if it's what I end up going with. I simply want to get the best possible car within my price range; even if that means waiting a little longer for the market to drop or for my budget to expand.
I think the c7 is much more comparable than the c8. I did 24-hour test drives on both the c7 and 350. I returned the c7 within 2 hours because it didn't make me laugh the same way.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I daily drive a 2015 GT that previous owner set up for the track. (K&N CAI, Cat back exhaust, track suspension and lowered.) It is rough driving unless you are on super smooth pavement. I am going to swap out the suspension to a dual rate spring from Steeda. I live in Phoenix and based on my experiences I would not daily drive a 350. If I were you, I would consider a clean low mileage 15-17 and work with Steeda and a local performance shop to turn it into an absolute beast. You could easily get a used base GT in good condition with 20-40K miles for $28-$30K. For around $20K you could a lot...upgrade the suspension, exhaust, breaks, cosmetics (front end, rear diffuser) and supercharge it. You could not supercharge it and lower that cost by $9K and do cold air intake and tune. By not buying the 350, you would save $20-$30K. And with that you can buy gas and tires :) Not to mention the money you would save on sales tax (between buying a $30K and a $70K car) Btw, I love my 15' and plan modifying it more and keeping for a long time.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Sponsored