Sponsored

Floored my new mustang at 650 miles and worried something got damaged

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
The first thing i think of are track guys. Everyone talks about breaking in parts and stuff and these dudes drop in new parts on the spot, jack it down and floor the F out of it lol. They seem ok to me 🤷‍♂️😂
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Good thing you stopped breaking it in like a pussy or your engine would be burning oil before you hit 10k miles.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I feel pretty bad because I was driving at the red light one of those assholes in a lifted turbo diesel pick up truck was all revving at me and I couldn't control myself

When the light turned green I gave it some gas and he was still keeping up so then I floored it and just completely gapped him by like a train length!!!

I watched my tachometer just rev all the way up and then i realized "oh crap i only got 650 miles!! :(" hoping nothing got damaged!

At the next light I went the normal speed limit and he did the whole flyby thing. How can I check to make sure nothing got damaged?

I saw ford recommends taking it easy for first 1000 miles. Do you need to keep it under 55 first 1000 miles too?
Nuclear weapons.gif

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I always let the engine fully warm up before attempting anything. 195 degree cylinder head temps.

With each drive in the first 100 miles alone I progressively went higher in the RPM range.

At 75 miles, I surpassed 5000-5250 RPM. As I was letting the engine decelerate and began looking down, I was at 85 mph.

Looking forward to doing it again, repeatedly. Want to go higher still in RPM, speed.

These engines like to run. They like being taken off the leash and don't start coming alive until after 4000 RPM.

Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
No harm done, these engines are beat up at the factory before they're even put in a car.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
These threads always interest me with the variance of opinions which makes for interesting discussion.

Here’s what I did and what I’ve posted before :

-------------------------------------------------------

Hhmmm, that’s very interesting and a dilemma that I was also faced with.

I did a lot of reading and came to the conclusion that the spray in bore lining of the gen 3 engines is very hard and needs a reasonably tough break in period.

I use the Mustang as a second car so I got the choice of when and where I drove it (and who I had in the car with me i.e. no kids), I guess that helped a lot.

I applied these rules :

• I am mechanically sympathetic (letting it warm up properly etc).
  • No letting the engine labour (no driving under 2k – other than the first gear 0.5 mile run to get me off the estate / over the speed humps).
  • No cruise control (other than checking it worked).
  • No 5th or 6th (other than checking Ford remembered to fit them in the box).
  • 4th only occasionally (only when road speed was quite high).
  • No constant throttle (I was pretty much either on the gas or letting it overrun).
  • I used full throttle as often as possible (once ‘properly’ warm), but I limited the revs as per :

Off the forecourt = 4k
100 to 250 = 4.5k
250 to 400 = 5k
400 to 550 = 5.5k
550 to 700 = 6k
700 to 850 = 6.5k
850 to 1000 = 7k
1000+ = still experimenting with the best place for the shift light so I don’t buzz the factory limiter.

• I used the factory shift light set to the above schedule to remind me when to change, I might have ignored it on the odd occasion …

About 90% of my running in was done at night on quiet roads and maybe approaching 30% of that was done on either a local dual carriageway that has traffic lights approximately every 0.7 miles or another section of dual carriageway that’s 0.4 mile long with a roundabout at each end. Both roads have a good surface and no residential or business properties on them and no side roads, junctions or bridges i.e. perfect fun roads for repeat cycles of acceleration and overrun ;-) (side note – the diff warms up very quickly on the 0.4 mile roundabout road).

After 500 miles I started to use the brakes with a bit more anger (pulled a 1.04g after a gauge reset and a high to low speed brake i.e. not just a sharp jab of the pedal).

I only really started to rush the gearbox / clutch after about 750 miles.

I think my oil consumption and what my breather caught is pretty low, especially for the first 1000 miles and also considering how I ran it in – can’t say the same for my MPG though … lol. That’s hovered between 12 and 14 (UK gallon for any of our stateside friends reading this), but that’s not really what we bought these cars for is it …

Time will tell how it all worked out but as this cars bought outright and is a keeper, it will be me that has to live with my decisions.

-------------------------------------------------------

WD :like:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's a modern machine - "break in" was needed back in the 50's and is the least of your worries....

Coyotes today you only have to worry about dropped valves, overheating cylinder 8, OPG's shattering, IMRC system failure, cracked intakes, A/C clutches flying off, VCT's locking up with debris and the occasional crank sprocket cracking in half... other than that, just go romp on it.

😂 :devil:

(Really, don't worry about any of the above...)

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I'd have been more concerned for the cars wellbeing had you let the truck get out ahead of you. It would have to go to a new home and get used to a whole new owner after you surrendered your Mustang license and bought a Leaf. Not to mention the damage done to her self esteem watching some truck outdo her.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Always funny to hear threads like this and think that I hit the upper RPMs on my test drive with 10 miles on the clock.

Sponsored

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Car magazines have taken brand new cars down the 1/4 strip for years. Brand new cars have been dyno tested for years. Ford pulls certain cars off the line for random testing. You have done nothing wrong.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Op to test if the engine is okay run the car at a steady speed between 2500 and 3000 rpm preferably with a light touch on the throttle. If you hear a rattle while doing it the engine is fooked…..,

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
So im having a new built short block installed and the car is immediately going on the dyno. You mean to tell me that’s gonna damage the motor ? Lmao

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
This car wants to say hello to redline at least a few times you drive it (after warm up).
If you did not trigger limp mode, it's fine. If you did, let it cool down a bit before you go on doing full throttle pulls. The 650 miles seem enough for the other drive train components to be broken in. Independent from this, check fluid levels once in a while.
Sponsored