Sponsored

Floating at High Speeds

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I’m getting another guy to take a look this morning but everything was set to track pack 2015 gt and he mentioned the front camber and caster are both off (red) because he did not mess with it.
I would find a dedicated alignment shop. If he only set the toe then he should have to change castor because when you mess with toe that changes castor also. So basically they did nothing but mess it up more.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Most shops do not know how to properly align a car. I went to Hunter alignment school when I first started working on cars for a living. I cringe everytime I see a supposed alignment.

Find a pro, an alignment specialty shop.

I guarantee the alignment you get at a dealer or a tire shop will not repeat after taking the car off the rack then putting it back on.
IE will not match the print out they just handed you.
^^^ This.

All they know is, if there is "green" showing "it's all good"... then they tell the customer "it's all good"... and hand them the print out with all good green blocks on it. If you ask them for specs or what the #'s refer back to in the green - they'll stare at you like a deer seeing headlights...

Project

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mustang GT Prem
Damn, does anybody else feel like the car is "floating" past 100mph on stock suspension? Best way I can describe "floating" is I feel like the car is taking me for a ride and I'm really not in control of the car. Past 120 mph, forget it lol. It's my first mustang, maybe it's the characteristic of these type of cars?

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
The base suspensions (non PP) seemed to lack composure for me. Over bumps and around corners, the cars just don't feel planted. I suppose this could also be described as "floaty". But I realize the OP ditched all the stock components, so I assume that wouldn't apply here.

With respect to the FP Track Pack alignment specs. I installed the FP Track Pack suspension on my EB PP coupe. The instructions from Ford called for -1.5 deg camber in front (I think stock is -0.5 deg). The dealer who did the alignment was able to achieve this, but they said it wasn't easy. I subsequently added camber bolts to get it to -2.5 deg total. With this much neg camber, it can feel a little "twitchy" on the highway, but it is definitely not floaty. It's planted, rock solid...street and track.

TimAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
What's high speed? 120+?

Caster/Camber plates are a must for the suspension adjustment if you're not already running them.

After installing Steeda Sport Progressive springs and moving to a 20" wheel (20x10 w/ 275/35 Nitto NT555G2) my front end felt less planted. I added in the Steeda Lateral links w/ extended ball joints and the reduction in body roll was huge, but that's not a straight line, high speed, type of thing.

Sponsored

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
My 2020 GT PP1 in stock form, without magnaride in track mode, felt plush/floaty.
On track, in track mode, it wasn’t too bad - but it wasn’t planted like it is now.
After Steeda progressive track springs, camber plates (-2.7), and 19x10 GY SC3 tires, it’s insane how much it changed for the better. Feels like a much more nimble/smaller car around corners.

Up to 150mph it’s as stable as can be.
Here’s a 145mph flyby 😆

Here is a street/roadcourse alignment, done by a reputable race car shop.
2020 GT PP1, magnaride on Steeda progressives.
C7E75B1D-3DC1-42D4-BFD3-C09AD5BCA6AE.jpeg

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Do you have the "after" alignment sheet specs they normally give to the customer? If you do maybe you can post it up so others can see/offer better advice.

It seems the alignment results could be the issue.

Did the car feel better before the alignment?

What brand tires?
If it does not have enough caster steering wheel will feel very light and floaty.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Damn, does anybody else feel like the car is "floating" past 100mph on stock suspension? Best way I can describe "floating" is I feel like the car is taking me for a ride and I'm really not in control of the car. Past 120 mph, forget it lol. It's my first mustang, maybe it's the characteristic of these type of cars?
Not really, I felt comfortable going 120+ stock and comfortable going 150+ when lowered around bends and straights.

Only really driven my mustang tho.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I did an alignment on my car (although probably poorly). If the car is lowered more than an inch you need camber bolts for the front.

If I remember right you can’t really adjust caster on these cars. It just is what it is.

What I would do is get some camber bolts. Find another dealership or a shop that mainly focuses on alignments, give them the camber bolts and have them install them and align the car properly. Then have them give you the printout so you can post it here. I would just tell them to align it to factory specs or if you want to look up some track or drag spec a reputable place has suggested.

Also what Nitto tires? I have personal beef with the Nitto G2s. Hate those things with a passion. Bad rear tire, bad front tire. My stock mustang could spin them for days, I could feel them lose traction when turning, and my tire would slide when I stopped aggressively.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
You definitely need camber plates, or camber bolts to get that front back to where it needs to be. That's more negative camber than a lot of guys who road race their cars use.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of high speed ? Had my base 17 GT at 170mph and it felt solid. Stock front. 265/325 tires.

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Most shops do not know how to properly align a car. I went to Hunter alignment school when I first started working on cars for a living. I cringe everytime I see a supposed alignment.

Find a pro, an alignment specialty shop.

I guarantee the alignment you get at a dealer or a tire shop will not repeat after taking the car off the rack then putting it back on.
IE will not match the print out they just handed you.
It should read the same if it was done right!

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised no one pointed them towards this article. Worked like a charm for me when I had that floaty feeling after putting on aftermarket suspension parts.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It should read the same if it was done right!
I have never seen a chain or dealer do the alignment correctly.

To do it right takes too much time.
Sponsored