Sponsored

Flex Fuel Tunes - has anyone gotten it to work properly?

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS/TC, 2017 Fusion Sport, 2018 Explorer
For those running a real flex fuel tune, how has it worked? Are you logging LTFT's by any chance? The reason I ask is that I noticed the EcoBoost engines (2.3, 2.7, 3.5) run a different type of primary wideband sensor where the flute holes are all aimed downward. On the actual FFV/Flex Fuel Fords (Coyote F-150, 3.5L N/A Explorer), the primary widebands are fluted the traditional way.

I'm having the same issue with a 2.7L EcoBoost. I've tried all kinds of settings, resetting KAM, driving 40+ minutes but it will NOT mature the AFR stoich. It will adjust/compensate for up to full E85 but it will never mature which results in LTFT never learning/producing data and I believe this impacts OBD2 readiness as well. So if I run a mixture of E20-E60, it will give me wildly erroneous inferred AFR readings and weird estimates of ethanol content. Full E85, it will hover around 9.80 AFR but it will never mature as well - but it runs great and I don't have any performance issues. However, until it matures, it will never produce LTFT data and I think it impacts OBD2 readiness as well (O2 sensor readiness, etc...)

I think I narrowed it down to the type of upstream O2 wideband that the EcoBoost engines run but I thought I'd check in with the 2.3 Eco Mustang owners to see if anyone's got any success with a FF tune. I saw that Lund has a flex fuel tune in another thread but most people probably aren't logging Inferred AFR Status or Inferred AFR Source, but if it Matures instead of being Actively Learning, you'll see LTFT being produced.
Sponsored

executiV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V6
So I don't have an answer for your question, but I am wondering if anyone here knows why no one seems to install an aftermarket ethanol sensor on the Fords?

Wouldn't it allow you to use the E readings in place of O2 inferred values and tune based on actual E percentage?

Also, I have a 5.0 F-150 which is oem FF so let me know if somehow I can find factory programming info that may help you. It's totally stock.

OP
OP
metroplex

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
So I don't have an answer for your question, but I am wondering if anyone here knows why no one seems to install an aftermarket ethanol sensor on the Fords?

Wouldn't it allow you to use the E readings in place of O2 inferred values and tune based on actual E percentage?

Also, I have a 5.0 F-150 which is oem FF so let me know if somehow I can find factory programming info that may help you. It's totally stock.
Thanks for the offer! I've looked at the stock tuning on the 5.0 F-150s and worked with some of the Coyote Mustang owners on getting the settings they used that worked for them. But either there are still undefined parameters or some other underlying issue that prevents it working on EcoBoost.

No one really uses the alcohol in-line sensor anymore on factory flex fuel setups. Even the Ford and GM flex fuel setups from the factory are now virtual/inferred. Your F-150 5.0 is the same setup as the Coyote Mustang and uses the primary wideband O2s to infer the stoich AFR/ethanol content. GM flip flopped around at one point and used to run the actual alcohol sensors. I've seen the GM sensor retrofitted in different applications like an LS1-swapped RX8 that someone had at work.

But if you look at all of the Ford primary wideband O2 sensors, the ones used on Flex Fuel applications (Coyote, N/A 3.3/3.5/3.7 V6) have the standard axial cut flutes (faces away from the center of the sensor tip). The ones used on Direct Injected or GTDI engines (2.0 Focus, the 1.5/1.6/2.0/2.3/2.7/3.0/3.5 EcoBoost) all have downward facing flutes/holes. I suspect the downward facing holes/flutes were done to reduce/prevent carbon fouling of the tip from the soot that comes out of direct injected engines. That or maybe the material of the tip, somehow prevents the PCM from maturing the inferred stoich AFR.

I basically flushed out all of the E85 in my Fusion 2.7 EcoBoost and the inferred stoich was 14.00 flat, like my Flex Fuel explorer, but even after a full drive cycle, it was still actively learning and refused to mature. Until it matures, then the purge valve won't work and the LTFT won't actively update. This results in a bunch of other stuff not happening and OBD2 readiness won't complete. In emissions inspection states that means no bueno.

This is why I'm asking if any 2.3 EcoBoost Mustangs have successfully enabled full flex fuel tuning. I've heard of Lund's tunes but I am curious if the PCM actually switches over to Mature instead of Actively Learning.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
This is why I'm asking if any 2.3 EcoBoost Mustangs have successfully enabled full flex fuel tuning. I've heard of Lund's tunes but I am curious if the PCM actually switches over to Mature instead of Actively Learning.
Good question! I assume it "actually switches over". You may want to contact Jessie Ringling of EMS. That's who I purchased my flex fuel/ E85 kit from, and he also arranging the tuning via PD tuning.

Screenshot_2021-11-18-15-56-40.png

OP
OP
metroplex

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I contacted him but didn't get a helpful response. What are you using to datalog? Is there any chance you can check to see Inferred AFR Status and Inferred AFR Source? FORScan might even have these.

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I contacted him but didn't get a helpful response. What are you using to datalog? Is there any chance you can check to see Inferred AFR Status and Inferred AFR Source? FORScan might even have these.
I use a Cobb data logger / tuning device. I still have some work to do, before my Mustang is ready for testing. But as soon as I power up my electronics, I'll see if that information is available.

Screenshot_2021-10-08-14-52-55.png

OP
OP
metroplex

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Is yours set up to use only E85 or is it supposed to adapt between straight gas and E85 blends? Reason I ask is that Jessie says he/PD Tuning only sells E85 blend tunes/ethanol tunes. Which I'm assuming is that he or PD Tuning sets the stoich to match whatever blend of E85 the customer is requesting, versus a flex fuel enabled tune that automatically adapts. So if yours is set up for full E85 and you decided to pump the entire tank with straight gas it might set off a DTC.

In my own experiments with EcoBoost, specifically the 2.7, I found it can handle like 50% or possibly more E85 without changing the tune. It just causes the LTFT to be really really positive but not enough to hit the threshold and set off an excessively lean DTC - but only because the 2.7 has a big enough HPFP to handle full E85 with the turbos maxed.
Sponsored