Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What are those guys wearing at 4:54-5:17 ... some kind of robotic arm assist?
pneumatic assist since their arms are above their head so much of the time, they don't have to strain shoulders and upper back.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Q: Which spot on the assembly line would you want to work in?
the one where the "STOP the entire line on QA fail" button is located, ala Toyota

I think the panel corrosion problem is failure to spend adequate TIME to properly agitate/rub/clean the raw metal. The coating is probably robotic spray on if it's not a dip. which would point to CNC programming error on insufficient dwell or missed arc that got "optimized" out.

I have to wonder if a mere handful of seconds or a pound or two of paint is the difference between the current deficient execution and good results.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
First, I wonder if I was seeing my car getting built. Then I was wondering how long I would have to work there before those Mustangs became just another car coming down the line. Finally I couldn't work there because I had the lyrics from the Johnny Cash "One piece at a time" song in my head.

Sponsored

MotoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford F150 XLT Supercab
That was great! Thanks for sharing! Love seeing American cars assembled by American workers!

They even showed a RH drive car being assembled for export.

Impressed by how clean the facility was and how organized. They've come a long way since I watched '65 Impalas come down the line at Lakewood Atlanta!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, but I was very surprised that there is not more, lots more, automation!
the Union I'm sure has sabotaged any such thoughts.
but even the newest German factories don't do much final assembly with robots. They are used in pre-cursor assemblies like stamping, welding/gluing, bending where precise jigs can be utilized, and pick+place.

Finally assembly is rife with tolerance stacking so hardly "precision" and the human eye+hand is VASTLY faster and adroit in accommodating mis-alignment.

MotoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a side note: where do they assemble the 5.0's and the 10R80's these days for the pony car?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bobn57

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
That was great! Thanks for sharing! Love seeing American cars assembled by American workers!

They even showed a RH drive car being assembled for export.

Impressed by how clean the facility was and how organized. They've come a long way since I watched '65 Impalas come down the line at Lakewood Atlanta!
yeah...I thought where's the QC guy (or gal)....they're installing the steering wheel on the wrong side of the stang! :cwl:

OP
OP
Bobn57

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
the Union I'm sure has sabotaged any such thoughts.
but even the newest German factories don't do much final assembly with robots. They are used in pre-cursor assemblies like stamping, welding/gluing, bending where precise jigs can be utilized, and pick+place.

Finally assembly is rife with tolerance stacking so hardly "precision" and the human eye+hand is VASTLY faster and adroit in accommodating mis-alignment.
i found the loooong version on you tube.....25 minutes it contains transit, stang and ranger assembly.
I completely forgot about this old thread - here's some Flat Rock vid too (and other links within responses):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/has-anyone-been-a-on-tour-of-the-flat-rock-plant.48067/
yep..i remember that one...that would make a cool ride at Universal!

MotoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I toured the Kia West Point GA plant when they opened in 2010 making Sorentos. I seem to remember more robotics in there, they had one station that did hundreds of robot welds, the car would sit there maybe 10 minutes?

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent!
Sponsored