Flat foot shifting

Schwerin

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The NLS feature is on all 2018+ manual transmissions. Nothing special about the Mach 1 or Bullitt.
WRONG

2019+ got Rev matching, even though 2018 was supposed to, it never got it.
NLS was in the 2018 paperwork but was NEVER actually added to the car, including the Bullitt, until the Mach1. The Mach1 is the ONLY v8 Mustang known to have NLS.
Advertisement

-Armoured-

Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
WRONG

NLS was in the 2018 paperwork but was NEVER actually added to the car, including the Bullitt, until the Mach1. The Mach1 is the ONLY v8 Mustang known to have NLS.
Probably because the chinese mt82 cant handle it. The mach1 with the Tremec can, hence why they have it as a feature. My 2cents...

Kidd

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red
The NLS feature is on all 2018+ manual transmissions. Nothing special about the Mach 1 or Bullitt.

Not true unless there’s something special you have to do to enable it. I have a 2020 and I NLS it quit often and there is DEFINITELY no modulation from the computer between shifts, it bangs the rev limiter any time I NLS around 7k.

Sivi70980

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Can confirm this is NOT true. Benefit of doubt though, what's the procedure for making it work?

Schwerin

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Probably because the chinese mt82 cant handle it. The mach1 with the Tremec can, hence why they have it as a feature. My 2cents...
Your thoughts, just like .02 in a modern economy, is worthless as the MT-82 can hold as much power as the Tremec, Ford gave the 15-17 version the ability for NLS via a Ford Performance software, and the EcoBoost can do it. Durability is NOT an issue. Ignoring that based on your own logic it would somehow imply the same transmission in the Shelby wasn't durable enough.

People forget, sure it's built in China, but it's made to Fords specification and design. If it's crap and weak that is a FORD ENGINEERING issue. If its coming over from China with Poor assembly quality that is a FORD QA ISSUE, and they should be sending them BACK not putting them in cars.

People love to bitch about China and the MT-82 but forget its ALL FORD US'S DESIGN, TESTING AND QUALITY CHECKS that are the issue. NOT the assembly.

Hell, look at all the fuckups on the cars in general made on the US assembly line, Some people gets cars that aren't even fully painted. Lets not call out the Lazy AF US workers that let a car go through and NOT notice that only 1 seat is leather, or that the wheels may not even match or that bumpers are drooping. Nah. Totally cool to ignore that. It's not as fun to call out your own countries lazy AF workers.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hell, look at all the fuckups on the cars in general made on the US assembly line, Some people gets cars that aren't even fully painted. Lets not call out the Lazy AF US workers that let a car go through and NOT notice that only 1 seat is leather, or that the wheels may not even match or that bumpers are drooping. Nah. Totally cool to ignore that. It's not as fun to call out your own countries lazy AF workers.
Can we add miss matched door cards to your list ? :facepalm:

0-E782-A4-C-1-D15-4-ADC-9043-F826-D353053-A.jpg

WD :like:

TeeLew

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I'd like to know how the NLS knows when to cut the ignition. It's possible it's really just the rev-limiter being used when shifting.
Clutch pressure

TeeLew

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
It's odd that millions of power shifts have been done for several decades, but suddenly transmissions can't handle them anymore.
Well, you're making twice the power, running 2000 more RPM and the transmission has 6 skinny gears instead of 4 fat ones. On top of that, your tires are 4" wider & a lot stickier.

Does that pretty much answer your question?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well, you're making twice the power, running 2000 more RPM and the transmission has 6 skinny gears instead of 4 fat ones. On top of that, your tires are 4" wider & a lot stickier.

Sure......aside from your entire list of 1960s reasons being completely incorrect.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sure......aside from your entire list of 1960s reasons being completely incorrect.
Well, I'm sure I'll never know as much about cars as you do.

young at heart

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium Convertible
Well, FWIW a well-executed ’60s power shift evidently put little to no additional strain on the transmission. We did it all the time and rarely if ever blew a transmission unless the power shift was poorly executed. Then, all bets were off.

I’d go so far as to say it put no more stress on driveline components than a full-throttle shift with a turbo hydramatic. They were sure as heck faster than an automatic could shift unless a quick shift kit like Royal Pontiac’s Bobcat kit had been installed.

Stangnut

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
WRONG

OK. That's all I was going by was the paperwork.

noliftshift-png.png

ctandc72

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase

It's still all about weak links. That hasn't changed. The weakest link fails when more power is applied, but as different components are beefed up along the way, the link that fails tends to change and usually get more expensive.

I think it's fair to point out - that in the last 5-10 years I've seen a good number of drivers running manual transmission cars (especially late model 5 and 6 speed cars) at the drag strip with drag radials instead of bias ply tires. That contributes to driveline shock in manual transmission cars that can result in some pretty nasty, and pricey, consequences.

Here's a picture of 3rd gear in a M-22

M22 3rd gear.jpg

Here's one from a MT82

MT82 3rd gear.jpg

One's 27 teeth - one 28 teeth.

Other factors come into play.

I've driven a ton of 4 speed equipped cars over the years. Muncies, Saginaws, T10s, etc.....none of them were quiet. Auto manufacturers have come a long way in their regard for limiting noise and vibration easily noticed by drivers - while still trying to provide a lot of performance.

When you bought a new high performance car in the 60s or 70s - most people knew going in that to get that performance, their were compromises involved. Noise, vibration and comfort were top of the list.

It's odd that millions of power shifts have been done for several decades, but suddenly transmissions can't handle them anymore.
I broke plenty of 4 speeds back in the day. I witnessed professional racers (Super Stock, Stock and other levels) break plenty of them as well. It was not a rare sight to see someone tearing into a 4 speed between heats / races at a drag strip back then. People who raced a lot, tended to keep spare transmissions close at hand.

Advertisement

5 - Hypermotive - 1
Advertisement