Sponsored

FK453 Review (comparing it to the stock PZeros of the PP)

AndreG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Pros and cons of the new Falken tire FK453. There are not a lot of review out there for this tire since it's a new one, so here's what I think of it.

PROS:

Better life: At track conditions the Falkens fare MUCH better than the Pirellis. The Pirellis were corded after two track events, the Falkens looked like they could do 10 more after my first one with them.

Much cheaper: The Falkens cost around $100 less PER TIRE.

Grip fall off/Slip angle: The FK453 is extremely gradual and communicative. You can clearly tell it's about to slide and when it loses grip it's very smooth and gradual. They induce confidence which is very important in a tire. The optimum slip angle is a little bit greater than the Pzero, meaning you can slide them a bit more before the grip goes away. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, it just is.

Cold weather: I haven't actually tested these in colder weather but lets face it, anything is better than the PZeros under 70 degrees out.

CONS:

Softer sidewall: You can immediately tell the sidewall on the FK453 is softer than the Pzeros. It's a big difference and pretty disappointing to be honest.

Grip: The FK453 grips around 15% less than the PZero. It's enough to be able to tell but not a huge difference. I was getting .2g less with the FK. Even without looking at the accelerometer it's easy to tell they grip less. They both squeal a good amount at the limit, not much difference there.

Overall I think the FK453 is a much better tire for the money, SPECIALLY if you track your mustang and aren't concerned with ultimate lap times. They last a LOT longer (based on track conditions) and you get 85% of the grip. For the price you can't go wrong. If it's warm enough they both perform well in the rain, but the FK453 will probably do much better once the temps come down.

As a summer tire, the FKs are a winner
Sponsored