• Total voters

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful ´15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
Hey everyone,
I'm asking your opinion on an issue I have with my Mustang;

I took delivery of it, and didn't notice this issue until I detailed it the day after; You can see the sealer and paint job done at the factory isnt really well done, and was actually probably already "fixed" manually after the robot dropped it... So there are "smudges" and paintbrush marks...
So I emailed my salesman, who then got me in touch with their paint shop to take pictures and ask Ford about having it fixed under warranty.
And here's his final email :
"Just to put the seam sealer into perspective, the technician uses his finger to apply a bead along the seam of the roof, the sealer self levels and then hardens to paint. It will appear as though someone took their finger to apply the seam sealer along the roof seam, as that is exactly the method that is used. Currently, in the event for any reason any corrosion or paint defect occurs along the seam, you are covered by the New Car warranty for 3 years or 60,000kms against surface corrosion and paint defects. We also documented the car meticulously and have images on file for future reference if anything occurs. Ultimately the car is yours as is the final decision."

So basically I'm just "scared" that over time the paint might end up chipping where the smudges are, ending up making the car rust, and I'm wondering if I should get it fixed by the paint shop and have it look "different from stock" as the guy said, or wait and see how it goes, considering that the car has a 3 years warranty for that.

If you were me, what would you do ?

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'd leave it alone ... doubt the paint is going to come off with time. If it's just those couple places in the seam along the roof line, then who's really going to be looking close there? Chances are, trying to fix it might end up looking worse than it does now.

rl16v6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Black EB Premium, 2008 Shelby GT500
Hey everyone,
I'm asking your opinion on an issue I have with my Mustang;

I took delivery of it, and didn't notice this issue until I detailed it the day after; You can see the sealer and paint job done at the factory isnt really well done, and was actually probably already "fixed" manually after the robot dropped it... So there are "smudges" and paintbrush marks...
So I emailed my salesman, who then got me in touch with their paint shop to take pictures and ask Ford about having it fixed under warranty.
And here's his final email :
"Just to put the seam sealer into perspective, the technician uses his finger to apply a bead along the seam of the roof, the sealer self levels and then hardens to paint. It will appear as though someone took their finger to apply the seam sealer along the roof seam, as that is exactly the method that is used. Currently, in the event for any reason any corrosion or paint defect occurs along the seam, you are covered by the New Car warranty for 3 years or 60,000kms against surface corrosion and paint defects. We also documented the car meticulously and have images on file for future reference if anything occurs. Ultimately the car is yours as is the final decision."

So basically I'm just "scared" that over time the paint might end up chipping where the smudges are, ending up making the car rust, and I'm wondering if I should get it fixed by the paint shop and have it look "different from stock" as the guy said, or wait and see how it goes, considering that the car has a 3 years warranty for that.

If you were me, what would you do ?

Thanks, Mike
I wouldn't accept it, you paid for new vehicle without defects. I would suggest working with your Dealer to get the Ford Rep there and bring it to a Body Shop you choose that can perform high quality work. I had a similar with a 2003 T-Bird where the paint was thin and you could see the primer underneath. It was repainted to my satisfaction and I never had any issue with the paint.

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
YUCK man, I have these all over my car. Because I leased it I'm gonna leave it. Hell even if I bought it would leave it, but its like that on my car too. I also have a couple spots where some compound or weld or paint has built up and literally became sharp and is now stabbing my hand when i touch the jam of the door when its open

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I wouldn't accept it, you paid for new vehicle without defects. I would suggest working with your Dealer to get the Ford Rep there and bring it to a Body Shop you choose that can perform high quality work. I had a similar with a 2003 T-Bird where the paint was thin and you could see the primer underneath. It was repainted to my satisfaction and I never had any issue with the paint.
Sorry but I disagree. There is no such thing as car built on an assembly line without defects.

I wouldn't touch it, it could just make it worse. This is inside a seam where unless it was pointed too at under 12" away you wouldn't see it.
Sponsored