Sponsored

FIXED! Easy Entry/Exit and Passenger side door handle lock not working.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
My 2019 GT had two problems:

1. The easy entry/exit would pull the seat back on engine off, but on engine on, the seat does not return to memorized position.
2. The passenger side door handle's touch sensor to lock/unlock the car is inoperative (sporatically).

As suggested in this forum, I did put a voltmeter on the battery and measured resting voltage. It was low at 12.1 to 12.3V. I took the car to Autozone and asked if they could test the battery. The person said that the battery is healthy, but just needed a charge as it was registering 70%. This was weird because I had just driven the car for 4 hours. When the engine is on and alternator is turning, the battery posts register 14.6V, so alternator was working fine.

I dropped the car off at the dealer and asked them to look at the two problems.
Before they even did any work, they checked the battery and they said the battery failed test (car starts perfectly fine). The report said it was registering 440 CCA (the battery is supposed to be 590CCA). The tech reported that the battery reported 45% charge.

The service writer said that the tech explained to him regarding the passenger side door handle not locking/unlocking. They replaced the battery and the door handle touch sensor seems to be working fine now.

As for the easy entry/exit, the tech had already replaced the battery, so he reported, "no problem found". I was annoyed and thought I'd have to go show them that the seat does not return when engine is turning...

I picked up the car, and...
Pressed in the clutch (full pedal pressure) and hit the start button (with foot still on clutch).
The seat moved all the way back to the memory position!

The service writer said that the tech told him to tell me that he thinks the easy entry/exit problem was also based on the bad battery, but if the seat does not work, return the car.
The easy entry/exit worked perfectly on my 15&17, but the 2019 never worked properly since I picked up my car (dec 5tt, 2020) until today.

I also noticed that my 2019 seat motor sounded "weak" as it was trying to move the seat back (in comparison to my '15&'17), but today with the new battery the seat motor sounded just like the 15/17 seats.

I am wondering if there was a bad batch of batteries that were put into a few mustangs?

My old battery started the car perfectly fine, but the total charge was too low and was making the electroncs in the car act up. I was going to go buy a new battery, but I am glad that my dealer changed it under warranty.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Interesting. I replaced my early 2018’s original battery in 8/2020. Now that you mention it, my passenger’s side touch unlock isn’t working and it often goes into battery saver mode.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Now that I've had mine for 4 years now, if the battery starts to fail, I'll just go buy a good AGM battery like a die hard platinum or something similar.

My seat does return to the memory position sometimes and sometimes not. Maybe when I pull it out of storage, I'll start to pay attention and check battery voltage.

Rod27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Interesting. I replaced my early 2018’s original battery in 8/2020. Now that you mention it, my passenger’s side touch unlock isn’t working and it often goes into battery saver mode.
Same here, I had the dealership replace my orignal battery 3 weeks ago in my 2018, and the passenger door worked for a few days then stopped again.

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Same here, I had the dealership replace my orignal battery 3 weeks ago in my 2018, and the passenger door worked for a few days then stopped again.
I am hoping that my car will work for more than a few days, although someone did mention this in this forum before. 590 CCA seems bit small for a battery for this car?

I read everywhere that resting voltage of a healthy, fly charged battery should be around 12.6v and anything below it isn't a good thing. Even after I got my car back with a brand new batt, I was reading 12.54 (it was 11.6 to 12.1 before replacement).

The dealer said to being the car back if I have problems again, so I plan to.

The easy entry/exit has been working fine, and passenger door knob is still locking/unlocking, so we'll see.

Sponsored

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
These cars do weird things when the battery starts going bad. My turn signals wouldn’t sequence and my Bluetooth kept randomly disconnecting.
Check my battery and found it is low volts, around 10.5 to 10. Put in new battery and has been fine since.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Probably best to just hit somewhere like Samsclub or batteries plus and just have them swap it out for $130 every 2 years.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have a 2019 GT PP2 that, when I test drove the car, the battery was dead. I asked them to replace the battery then. Once it got started, all was fine so they suggested we hold off. Flash forward a couple months and the car was dead. They replaced the battery.

I have had and still have a passenger door handle issue but it always tracks to the battery. Nothing is wrong with the handle rather, the battery seems low (below 12 volts).

Every now and again, I have let the car sit for a few days and the battery will get low and the passenger side will not operate. As long as I run a battery charger or drive it a reasonable distance on a regular basis, all is fine.

The battery change did not stop the handle issue completely.

I will have to setup the easy entry/exit and see if that is also affected. Funny thing is, I am 6' 1" with rather long legs so the seat is already nearly all the way back. Not sure I will notice it move or it might not have any place to move further back!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Every now and again, I have let the car sit for a few days and the battery will get low and the passenger side will not operate.
something very wrong with that. You should track down your parasitic loads. Car should be able to sit for weeks and battery still show proper charge/voltage.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
something very wrong with that. You should track down your parasitic loads. Car should be able to sit for weeks and battery still show proper charge/voltage.
At the time, I know what it was. I work for an alarm system manufacturing company and I was testing a GPS ODB2 module that works on cellular for event reporting. That thing was known to drain a battery rather quickly. Not sure that one is going to production :)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I work for an alarm system manufacturing company and I was testing a GPS ODB2 module that works on cellular for event reporting
Has your company talked to CalAmp? There's gotta be at least 5 more outfits that've been shipping that kind of product for over a decade.

Normally a device like that should be only powered up enough to sense bumps/movement, and then only power up GPS and report the incident and then after 1 minute power down to 'bump' sensing mode. The 'wake on bump' logic also has a timer that compares event timestamps and doesn't power up for reporting unless it's been at least say 5 or 10 minutes.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Has your company talked to CalAmp? There's gotta be at least 5 more outfits that've been shipping that kind of product for over a decade.

Normally a device like that should be only powered up enough to sense bumps/movement, and then only power up GPS and report the incident and then after 1 minute power down to 'bump' sensing mode. The 'wake on bump' logic also has a timer that compares event timestamps and doesn't power up for reporting unless it's been at least say 5 or 10 minutes.
this product is to record breadcrumbs and report when entry/exit geofences, speed notifications, etc. slightly different.

But thanks for the head's up. might have something adaptable to our needs.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
this product is to record breadcrumbs and report when entry/exit geofences, speed notifications, etc. slightly different.
that's exactly what their devices do. :)
I ran the 'event processing' infrastructure - millions of devices pinging their location at 3-5 second intervals when on the move. When the Verizon tech goes to the local titty-bar for "lunch" for an hour and a half. His manager knows as soon as he rolls into the parking lot. :)
Sponsored