BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
*copy and paste from facebook* lol

Friend of mine went autocrossing for the first time with me yesterday. Between the few rides I gave him, and then him driving mine for fun runs after the event, he was utterly astounded at the level of grip of my well-worn RE71Rs compared to decent street summer tires (of the same width, as well). Tires make such a huge difference.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Way to narrow of a tire for a 19x11 wheel IMO.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably going to stretch my current set of FStreet 285 RE71Rs onto a set of 11s this winter. Nice to see the fit Send pics of them on the car too!

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm curious, why a 285? Why not a larger tire? What's the point of an 11" wheel and not utilizing its capability?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
He never said that the 285 was ideal, he is just showing what the fit looks like. Submitted without comment. It’s just a data point.

But I’ll bite... Instead of asking “what is the ideal tire width is to run on the 11” wheel”, what If you asked “what is the ideal wheel width is to run 285 RE71R tires”. The answer might well be to run them on 11s.

Grip is great, but a slightly stretched tire is reported to be very responsive handling, which is intriguing considering how much more the 305s cost for that tire.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
In for more pics mounted on the car if they become available! :thumbsup:

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm curious, why a 285? Why not a larger tire? What's the point of an 11" wheel and not utilizing its capability?
Time trial class requires max of 285 (plus I think 285 Is a great square tire size for this car).

I took off my 305 Nitto NT01s from these wheels. I would prefer a 10.5" wheel (and I have a set, but I use those for my summer/street Conti Sport tires). I can't afford more wheels.

From what I'm reading, the RE71R on a 11" wheel is a good combo for road course duty. If I had the money I'd do a 10", 10.5" and 11" comparison. But... I don't.

In for more pics mounted on the car if they become available! :thumbsup:
I'll have pictures come Friday when I'm at Road Atlanta for Gridlife (where I will ideally not get last place in my first "real" time trial, haha).

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Time trial class requires max of 285 (plus I think 285 Is a great square tire size for this car).

I took off my 305 Nitto NT01s from these wheels. I would prefer a 10.5" wheel (and I have a set, but I use those for my summer/street Conti Sport tires). I can't afford more wheels.

From what I'm reading, the RE71R on a 11" wheel is a good combo for road course duty. If I had the money I'd do a 10", 10.5" and 11" comparison. But... I don't.

I'll have pictures come Friday when I'm at Road Atlanta for Gridlife (where I will ideally not get last place in my first "real" time trial, haha).

Subscribed for more pics. Toying with the idea of a probably less-than-ideal staggered wheel / square tire setup but with a 285/35 rather than 305/30. Not many posts with this combo, so thanks for adding these photos. Looking forward to seeing them on the car! FWIW, I'm looking at 19x10F, 19x11R w/MRR M600's with the typical 35/50 offsets.

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
@wildcatgoal Any updated impressions or pics? I'm toying with going with this exact setup after my RS4s are dead. I prefer the 285 for the extra height and added response over the 305. Plus the reduced cost is a nice plus.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
They were really great overall, although you really only get a few hard laps before they start to loose their sweet spot (and at that point I suspect you're wearing them very quickly unnecessarily). I got down to the 1:38s with my car at Road Atlanta, which is great for me and good enough for 5th in my first time trial (my car was the only one in the top 5 in-class that was truly full weight, but lap analysis states I could have gone notable faster if I drove better, haha). You have to like... "believe" these tires will hold, because they do but it's almost unbelievable that they do. The 285s were perfect on 11" wheels and the 1st place record setter in my class (Ron Spear) also had them on 11" wheels.

I'd recommend them, but don't expect them to last all that long if you're really in the 8-10/10ths all the time.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I love the way that they drive. Tons of ultimate grip, very progressive at the limit and they communicate pretty well. I wouldn't call their response laser-like, but certainly very good (though on a wide wheel with some stretch I bet they are). I have them on separate track wheels and struggle to take them off after an event because I enjoy driving on those tires so much. Way too loud and fast wearing for that, though.

GTF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Race Red
They were really great overall, although you really only get a few hard laps before they start to loose their sweet spot (and at that point I suspect you're wearing them very quickly unnecessarily). I got down to the 1:38s with my car at Road Atlanta, which is great for me and good enough for 5th in my first time trial (my car was the only one in the top 5 in-class that was truly full weight, but lap analysis states I could have gone notable faster if I drove better, haha). You have to like... "believe" these tires will hold, because they do but it's almost unbelievable that they do. The 285s were perfect on 11" wheels and the 1st place record setter in my class (Ron Spear) also had them on 11" wheels.

I'd recommend them, but don't expect them to last all that long if you're really in the 8-10/10ths all the time.
Question, since that diameter is 26.8" are you limiting 5th gear before 10a braking?
Sponsored