Fitcamx Front and Rear Dash Cam: Install/Disassembly/Troubleshooting

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Install went smoothly. If you sit in the right seat and feed the snake straight back roughly in the middle of the visor there is a "channel" that is wide open. It is the between the edge of the insulation/sound dampening and the door window area.
I didn't mount the rear camera yet as the arrow saying this side up might have been removed and replaced ( bought used to save $). Stupid move perhaps.
There is no power to the camera when the ignition is on. It may be trash but there might just be a bent pin in the connector. My scope died before I finished running the rear cam wire so the pics are few.
Heading back to the garage after supper to double check the connectors.
Another issue is my inability to get wifi going. It doesn't recognize my vin. AT&T happens. Always something...
***This pic was taken from the back looking forward. The scope has a light and I could see it when it was taped to the snake and run from the front but I had nothing to grab it. Then the scope died and I just sat and fed straight back and it went right through.
Screenshot_20230322_135725_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
Another issue is my inability to get wifi going. It doesn't recognize my vin. AT&T happens. Always something...
Just to be clear, you don’t need an additional Wifi to talk to the camera. The camera run its own Wifi for the sole and unique purpose of allowing connection from your mobile phone and the FITCAMX mobile app to access its videos. AT&T certainly deserves to be blamed, but not for this.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Just to be clear, you don’t need an additional Wifi to talk to the camera. The camera run its own Wifi for the sole and unique purpose of allowing connection from your mobile phone and the FITCAMX mobile app to access its videos. AT&T certainly deserves to be blamed, but not for this.
Thank you for the info. I pulled the camera to see if there is something obvious I can repair.
ETA: Sending this one back and getting a new unit. On a positive note it will only take 15 minutes to install the new one.

Last edited:

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
I took the camera apart to look for obvious wiring problem and one ribbon connector was not pushed on all the way. Tried it again and still no luck.
Trying to explain the problem to the seller to get a refund has been a two day ordeal of banging my head against the wall.
This used camera was previously returned and I bet they just keep sending it out again and put the buyer in a nasty mood.
So far I have sent a bunch of pictures of my mirror as they think I ordered the wrong camera. The reason for this is most likely the fact that I ordered the same model but brand new.
Poor communication skills with translation software is probably a contributing factor but this is freaking ridiculous.
The saga continues.

Last edited:

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
I reported the seller to amazon. A little while later I received a nice friendly email from the seller saying my return label is on the way within the next 24 hours. The clock is ticking.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I installed front and end camera yesterday, took about 45 mins. Stuffed it from the rear middle along the passenger side edge, down to the A pillar. Front to the right down the A pillar, connected to fuse box. Done.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
I installed front and end camera yesterday, took about 45 mins. Stuffed it from the rear middle along the passenger side edge, down to the A pillar. Front to the right down the A pillar, connected to fuse box. Done.
Where did you get the power wire for the fuse box hookup?

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Where did you get the power wire for the fuse box hookup?
My camera is a "Wolfbox", they sell the wiring kit as an add on. The camera on its own can function using the "cigarette lighter". Of course then you have all the wires in your face. I had to modify the endpoints to fit the Mustang fuse box/micro fuses.
1679871601743.png

Wiring harness for type C connection to camera:
https://wolfbox.com/collections/acc...unctional-hardwire-kit?variant=44553260859681

One cable goes to always on, an the other cable to goes to ignition on.
I am sure your camera provider can help you out. Otherwise let me know if you need pictures from the fuse box. Here to help.
Good luck!

Last edited:

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FITCAMX does sell hardware to connect to the fuse box or the OBD box. It’s part of their Universal Dashcam offering. I need to measure my older 2 cars and the mirrors, and then I will likely buy 2 Universal Dashcams with the OBD connection b/c I have no clue on how to deal with the fuse box.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
FITCAMX does sell hardware to connect to the fuse box or the OBD box. It’s part of their Universal Dashcam offering. I need to measure my older 2 cars and the mirrors, and then I will likely buy 2 Universal Dashcams with the OBD connection b/c I have no clue on how to deal with the fuse box.
Once I have my new camwra and credit on the used one that does not work at all, I am done with them. It takes maybe 25 minutes to do the complete install if the rear feed goes in as it should. I like the idea of having it powered 24/7 but the vehicle goes into deep sleep so it is not that important. The fact that ut was designed for our cars and has an oem look us what sold me on it. My teuck has a vantru but I have not hard wired it or done the rear camera yet.

Sponsored

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
… I am done with them…
Understandable. Their product is not exceptional, aside from the OEM look. I really only want 3 from them so that I can vampirise 2 to save 1 once the electronic starts to fail in a few years.

OP
OP
SH!FT

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Once I have my new camwra and credit on the used one that does not work at all, I am done with them. It takes maybe 25 minutes to do the complete install if the rear feed goes in as it should. I like the idea of having it powered 24/7 but the vehicle goes into deep sleep so it is not that important. The fact that ut was designed for our cars and has an oem look us what sold me on it. My teuck has a vantru but I have not hard wired it or done the rear camera yet.
The Fitcamx harnesses seem to be good quality, but I understand your gripe. Their dash cam PCB has a built-in convertor. It just needs 12v and ground. They use 3a fuses.

Here's what I recommend if you want the camera to have power with the car off:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-dashcam-via-the-usb-port.182555/post-3708850

The UPS I posted should power the front and rear camera system for 3 days after parking the car. It would also be very easy to power the UPS with 115/230VAC if you wanted to keep an eye on the car in a long term storage situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SH!FT

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Understandable. Their product is not exceptional, aside from the OEM look. I really only want 3 from them so that I can vampirise 2 to save 1 once the electronic starts to fail in a few years.
100% agree. There's better quality cameras available, but the OEM fitment is top notch.

Based on my experience, there seems to be no issue getting replacement components. You will need to be comfortable installing them.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Finally received my refund today and the new 2K front/rear was delivered as well. Install took longer than I expected as the snake kept going through the clip hole that fastens the headliner in the back. And this one works. The rear cam is the round one, I am assuming yours was part of the Mondeo kit. Now I have to figure out the operation.

20230404_164302.jpg

20230404_173424.jpg

OP
OP
SH!FT

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Nice. @Johnny Rockit how does the rear round cam look installed? Don't think anyone posted a pic yet.

There are 2 phone apps that I know of that work for this dash cam. I like the FitDVR app the best.
Sponsored