First trip to the track coming up

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
So, looks like I'll be making my first trip to the track in a couple of weeks. Track Night in America at Heartland Park Topeka.

Lots of questions. I'll be running in the novice group. Since I've never run a road course before, I have a couple of questions.

1) When starting, do they space the cars out a bit, or do they just let a class go at a time?

2) Passing. Is it allowed in the novice group? Is there etiquette for passing, or more likely, being passed?

3) Are long pants required, or are shorts okay (July gets pretty toasty)?

4) '17 GT PP FR Power Pack 2. Anything special I need to do to the car itself? This is "probably" a once or twice a year deal for me, not an every other weekend thing.

5) Is a Go-Pro inside the car okay?

6) Is there something special I need to do between runs?

7) Should I fill up just outside of the track, or is it better to get fuel as I need it at the track?

8) What do I need to know that I don't know I need to know, you know?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
1) Initially they do space them out a few seconds, but after it's free entry as long as the session is open.

2) Depends on your event organizer and their laws.

3) Again, the event organizers determine this rule.

4) Check wheel torque, brake fluid and tire pressure.

5) Yes

6) Check tire pressure, verify lug torque, check engine and suspension bits for any issues.

7) Fuel onsite is usually more expensive, so fill up before and if you have time make a run halfway in the day back out.

8) Just have fun and watch out for other drivers.

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Hey Sam,
First off, good on ya for getting to the track. It's the best way to enjoy the car at speed in a safe environment. Here are some answers to your questions:

1) When starting, do they space the cars out a bit, or do they just let a class go at a time?
NASA and SCCA, and probably most if not all organizing bodies send you out in a pack with your whole group. You can get to the grid area early if you feel like you are going to be faster or if you feel you may be slower, you can grid towards the middle or back of the pack.

2) Passing. Is it allowed in the novice group? Is there etiquette for passing, or more likely, being passed?
Passing is allowed only with a "point by" from the car immediately in front of you. This will be covered extensively in your classroom time on the morning of your event

Most organizers require long pants, and strongly suggest something made of cotton for fire safety reasons. Some organizers even require long sleeves, regardless of weather.

4) '17 GT PP FR Power Pack 2. Anything special I need to do to the car itself? This is "probably" a once or twice a year deal for me, not an every other weekend thing.
There are a few things that are "must do" tasks. The first is to get the brakes checked by a trusted shop. You also need to have the brake fluid replaced with a good brake fluid. Castrol SRF is what a lot of people prefer and the one I use. There are others out there, such as Motul 600 and Motul 660, but since you are running a July event, i would suggest the Castrol SRF.
The second thing is to make sure your tires/wheels/bearings/lugs are in good working order. Having a wheel fall off or a tire go flat would ruin your day.

Your Go-Pro should be allowed as long as it is securely mounted. I have seen headrest mounts, dash mounts and even some external mounted devices, but those will need to be tethered to the car so that if the mount fails the camera won't go tumbling down the track.

Talk to your instructor. If he or she is worth their salt they will be discussing your run with you and going over your car with items to check (air pressure, brakes, etc)

7) Should I fill up just outside of the track, or is it better to get fuel as I need it at the track?
Definitely fill up outside the track. Fuel at the track pumps is usually $2-3 more per gallon, at least here on the east coast.

See the answer to Number 6. Your assigned instructor is there to think of the things you don't know to think about.

Have fun and be safe!

JD

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Sam,
First off, good on ya for getting to the track. It's the best way to enjoy the car at speed in a safe environment. Here are some answers to your questions:

NASA and SCCA, and probably most if not all organizing bodies send you out in a pack with your whole group. You can get to the grid area early if you feel like you are going to be faster or if you feel you may be slower, you can grid towards the middle or back of the pack.

Passing is allowed only with a "point by" from the car immediately in front of you. This will be covered extensively in your classroom time on the morning of your event

Most organizers require long pants, and strongly suggest something made of cotton for fire safety reasons. Some organizers even require long sleeves, regardless of weather.

There are a few things that are "must do" tasks. The first is to get the brakes checked by a trusted shop. You also need to have the brake fluid replaced with a good brake fluid. Castrol SRF is what a lot of people prefer and the one I use. There are others out there, such as Motul 600 and Motul 660, but since you are running a July event, i would suggest the Castrol SRF.
The second thing is to make sure your tires/wheels/bearings/lugs are in good working order. Having a wheel fall off or a tire go flat would ruin your day.

Your Go-Pro should be allowed as long as it is securely mounted. I have seen headrest mounts, dash mounts and even some external mounted devices, but those will need to be tethered to the car so that if the mount fails the camera won't go tumbling down the track.

Talk to your instructor. If he or she is worth their salt they will be discussing your run with you and going over your car with items to check (air pressure, brakes, etc)

Definitely fill up outside the track. Fuel at the track pumps is usually $2-3 more per gallon, at least here on the east coast.

See the answer to Number 6. Your assigned instructor is there to think of the things you don't know to think about.

Have fun and be safe!

JD
Good advise, except TNiA events put novices on track w/o in car or personal instructors. There will be a novice coordinator / chief who will go over passing rules and flags, but they wont get in-car instruction.... which is why I think TNiA is not a great idea for Novice drivers.

My 2c - go ahead and buy track insurance from Lockton or other for your TNiA event. Its cheap, compared to a destroyed car, and yea I’ve seen a novice’s newish BMW car go up in flames at a TNiA event. We’ve seen novices on this forum with totaled cara from track events. Buy the insurance if you cant afford to write off the car.

Reactions: TDC
OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
@EFI and @JD_GTPP2 , thanks for the info. Couple of other questions,

Is the fuel at the track, besides being more expensive, any better than pump gas? Looking at the schedule, doesn't look like there will be time to run out to fill up.

Should I snag a pair of driving gloves? I don't want o look like an idiot by not having them and should or having them and looking like an idiot for having them. I mean, I'll look plenty foolish enough once I get on the track. :cwl:

Where might the best place be to buy a helmet. The HPT website says that thry'll have a limited number of helmets to rent. I don't want to miss out because of a helmet issue. Would a Snell approved motorcycle helmet be okay?

Just looked at the calander for HPT. Looks like they run once a month. This could get expensive!!

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is the fuel at the track, besides being more expensive, any better than pump gas? Looking at the schedule, doesn't look like there will be time to run out to fill up.
No, they just have a wider range of fuels available.

If you're running 91/93, then it's the same exact stuff as down the street. However sometimes they have higher octane unleaded fuels which you won't get on the street.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Your first two questions will be covered during the driver's meeting so don't stress over that too much. Just show up and have fun (and don't forget pants).

If you're going to use a GoPro make sure it's very secure. I've had mine almost fly out of the car before because the suction cup wasn't completely secured.

@EFI and @JD_GTPP2 , thanks for the info. Couple of other questions,

Should I snag a pair of driving gloves? I don't want o look like an idiot by not having them and should or having them and looking like an idiot for having them. I mean, I'll look plenty foolish enough once I get on the track. :cwl:

Where might the best place be to buy a helmet. The HPT website says that thry'll have a limited number of helmets to rent. I don't want to miss out because of a helmet issue. Would a Snell approved motorcycle helmet be okay?

Just looked at the calander for HPT. Looks like they run once a month. This could get expensive!!
You can fill up somewhere on your way to the track. I believe Track Night events are like 3 20 min sessions, so you're not going to run out of fuel.

Gloves are not a bad idea if you have the stock steering wheel. you start death-gripping that steering wheel and hands get sweaty.

Snell approved motorcycle helmet *might* be OK, but you'll want to check with the organizer. Some places allow them, some don't. If you're going to rent a helmet, buy yourself a racing balaclava (head sock) - because many other sweaty heads were in that helmet. I'd say the best place to buy a helmet is somewhere local where you can try it out.

You'll be lucky if you can just get yourself to stick with TrackNight events lol I know NASA runs there at least once a month and I believe SCCA does too. Plenty of opportunities to feed the addiction and blow $$$

Last edited:

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prermium A10, PP1, Magneride, 401A, B&O
OP,
You're going to want to get DOT4 brake fluid. The ones mentioned above are fine. They can be tricky to find, so get it ASAP. Look up how many quarts you'll need- likely 750ml. For your last event of the year, I'd recommend replacing the brake fluid again (at a minimum) to the manufacturer's brake fluid. Personally, I'd do it after each track day if it's twice per year. 3 x 20 minutes of driving for a novice is hell on your brake fluid and DOT4 hates the cold and not being abused.

I did autocross at Heartland in Topeka. Snell wasn't allowed for cars. We were required to have DOT helmets, newer than 2007. Mine was from 2003, so it wasn't permissible. It may be different for you.

I'd also recommend you bring a container of some sort to put your belongings. You don't want ANYTHING floating around (extra clothes, coins, etc.). It's extremely distracting and potentially dangerous. I left stuff out all day at Heartland unsecured twice. I had no issues. Results may vary (disclaimer).

You're going to a VERY good road course. Enjoy. You'll become addicted and forget drag strips exist.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
OP,
You're going to want to get DOT4 brake fluid. The ones mentioned above are fine. They can be tricky to find, so get it ASAP. Look up how many quarts you'll need- likely 750ml. For your last event of the year, I'd recommend replacing the brake fluid again (at a minimum) to the manufacturer's brake fluid. Personally, I'd do it after each track day if it's twice per year. 3 x 20 minutes of driving for a novice is hell on your brake fluid and DOT4 hates the cold and not being abused.

I did autocross at Heartland in Topeka. Snell wasn't allowed for cars. We were required to have DOT helmets, newer than 2007. Mine was from 2003, so it wasn't permissible. It may be different for you.

I'd also recommend you bring a container of some sort to put your belongings. You don't want ANYTHING floating around (extra clothes, coins, etc.). It's extremely distracting and potentially dangerous. I left stuff out all day at Heartland unsecured twice. I had no issues. Results may vary (disclaimer).

You're going to a VERY good road course. Enjoy. You'll become addicted and forget drag strips exist.
I thought I read that scca requires snell approved, I better double check.

I plan on taking everything out out of the car except for my phone charger cable (glove box it). Not sure about the gopro. I have a small tool bag I could take, but I don't want flopping around in the trunk and I'm going solo (ome of my biys may come, but nit later) so I can't really leave a bag of tools lying around.

What do you mean by VERY good road course? Is it a good course for beginners?

As far as changing brake fluid, what is the best/easiest/cleanest way to change the fluid? Do I need a special tool/pump to change it? I've never had to change oit the entire system of brake fluid before.

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought I read that scca requires snell approved, I better double check.

I plan on taking everything out out of the car except for my phone charger cable (glove box it). Not sure about the gopro. I have a small tool bag I could take, but I don't want flopping around in the trunk and I'm going solo (ome of my biys may come, but nit later) so I can't really leave a bag of tools lying around.

What do you mean by VERY good road course? Is it a good course for beginners?

As far as changing brake fluid, what is the best/easiest/cleanest way to change the fluid? Do I need a special tool/pump to change it? I've never had to change oit the entire system of brake fluid before.
The rules could be different for the helmet. That's what it was for my autocross. The TI guy was a stickler.

It's great for beginners. The track is recently repaved. There are some elevation changes (not major like the Nuerburgring- ask me how I know). There is run-off, so if you brake late, you won't hit a wall- lots of grass. There's also a carousel, which is always fun to track. I'd really recommend watching videos on youtube and get to know the track ahead of time to help visualize the turns. You'll love it.

I pay someone to change my brake fluid. I refuse to touch anything electric or brake related on my cars.

Sponsored

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently Snell helmets are permitted. Not sure what was up with my days there for autocross. You'll need the SA-rated one newer than 2005.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
@imyopusha thanks for the info. I'll check out youtube for some videos.

As far as the helmet, where's a good place to find one? There's a ton of motorcycle shops around, but I don't know if a dot/snell motorcycle helmet would be okay. I haven't seen an auto racing accessory shop around.

I totally agree with the electrical stuff on modern cars. I don't even want to attempt wiring in anything.

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Do you have Amazon Prime? That's the best way if you know your helmet size (which is important).
https://www.amazon.com/Conquer-SA2015-Approved-Racing-Helmet/dp/B01GGPO1GG/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=sa2015+helmet&qid=1561205964&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin:8150031011&rnid=8150023011&s=automotive&sr=1-7

I can't think of a place in KC (I lived in NKC) off the top of my head. Yes, check a bike shop. Many are dual-hatted auto and moto.

I do have prime, but I have to try it on. I wear glasses so I habe to make sure the fit is right. I'll head to the cycle shop and see what they have.

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I meant motorcycle when I said bike!
Sponsored