Sponsored

First Track Day in the Shelby Review

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Damn, the Monster, nick name assigned by the instructor to the Shelby, is a beast. Drag strip is fun but holy shit on the track she is a different animal in a great way.
Grandsport Speedway south of Houston was the track. Short 1.4 mile road course. Fun fun fun. She almost got the best of me on the very last lap after I had gotten a pretty good feel of the power and braking. Way too hot into a corner after the front straight.
It was nice to expierence the car way out of shape running about 75 and getting her back in line with out a visit to the grass. When we finished and I returned to the pit area, the instructor said he was not sure I was going to save it, so good job in doing so.
Being a newbie on the track, this course was a great course to take the new Monster out on to focus on braking and cornering apex etc. The back stretch was the fastest part of the track. After coming out of the chicane at speed after running it correctly I was able to get up to 110 mph before the braking zone and get back down to the proper speed for the next set of corners.
Very fun and now I think the road course itch has started. I’ve done plenty of drag strip runs, but road course is more addicting in my opinion.
I would love to ride in the car with an instructor driving to see how much more the car has to offer in the hands of a experienced driver that knows the course.
I will be signing up for the track attack as soon as I get paperwork to do so.

BB90FA45-6071-4F88-92CD-45D84ED97E1C.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Damn, the Monster, nick name assigned by the instructor to the Shelby, is a beast. Drag strip is fun but holy shit on the track she is a different animal in a great way.
Grandsport Speedway south of Houston was the track. Short 1.4 mile road course. Fun fun fun. She almost got the best of me on the very last lap after I had gotten a pretty good feel of the power and braking. Way too hot into a corner after the front straight.
It was nice to expierence the car way out of shape running about 75 and getting her back in line with out a visit to the grass. When we finished and I returned to the pit area, the instructor said he was not sure I was going to save it, so good job in doing so.
Being a newbie on the track, this course was a great course to take the new Monster out on to focus on braking and cornering apex etc. The back stretch was the fastest part of the track. After coming out of the chicane at speed after running it correctly I was able to get up to 110 mph before the braking zone and get back down to the proper speed for the next set of corners.
Very fun and now I think the road course itch has started. I’ve done plenty of drag strip runs, but road course is more addicting in my opinion.
I would love to ride in the car with an instructor driving to see how much more the car has to offer in the hands of a experienced driver that knows the course.

You don't need paperwork. Just call the number and they will ask you for your VIN and dealership. Have a few choices in mind for which class you'd like to attend.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,

Awesome and I tell many this car is so mislabeled and not in a negative way. But if you watch my Ice Age TV videos I emphasize this car was built to track and not straight line her. Now don’t get me wrong but this is a true Carroll Shelby Heritage car built to corner and blast out of the corners. And just look at the most common videos of the GT500 its straight line racing which yeh YAWN. Keep us posted and do a inside video for sure when you do the Track Attack and share. And or make your own. You did the 1/4 mile videos and time to step it up to the real deal videos tracking her.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't need paperwork. Just call the number and they will ask you for your VIN and dealership. Have a few choices in mind for which class you'd like to attend.
Thanks. I will call tomorrow. Talking to the wife today I think April is going to be best for us as there are several dates listed on the website for April. It will come down to which days are still open.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
She is also very thirsty. 13.5 gallons yielded 79.8 miles on track day. Car says 6.2 Mpg but pen to paper says 5.9 mpg.
With my 230 lbs big ass in the car she went 4350 lbs on the scale at the drag strip with 1/4 of a tank. So that means 4120 lbs.

B87C6109-220C-408A-B7AF-E0BA191B4443.jpeg

8DE3ED47-C611-4EA2-BF3E-07897945E551.jpeg

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
March 29-30 for me. I wanted the extra day on the track.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
April 20-21 so I can bring the wife.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10

If you were going clockwise, then I bet you ran into some slippery marbles turning left late at the end of that front straight. If so, been there...

You might consider driver's edge at MSR Houston next. Great organization and great track.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you were going clockwise, then I bet you ran into some slippery marbles turning left late at the end of that front straight. If so, been there...

You might consider driver's edge at MSR Houston next. Great organization and great track.
We were going counter clockwise. The instructor said there was an autocross there a few weeks ago so there were plenty of rocks on the course in areas the autocross did not drive on that are the normal race lines and they left plenty of gravel in a few of the corners. I guess they don't have a sweeper to clear the course. All of our cars took some paint chips from the excessive gravel but that's part of the deal. I bought it to drive it and she won't be a garage queen but she will be cared for just might show a little evidence of having been driven.
Definitely plan on MSR in April. Registration is January 28.

My only other complaint besides what even the instructor said was excessive gravel on the course, is the lack of facilities. It is a bare bones no frills place. Had 2 porta johns and no where to wash you hands. Other than that, it was good.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
We were going counter clockwise. The instructor said there was an autocross there a few weeks ago so there were plenty of rocks on the course in areas the autocross did not drive on that are the normal race lines and they left plenty of gravel in a few of the corners. I guess they don't have a sweeper to clear the course. All of our cars took some paint chips from the excessive gravel but that's part of the deal. I bought it to drive it and she won't be a garage queen but she will be cared for just might show a little evidence of having been driven.
Definitely plan on MSR in April. Registration is January 28.

My only other complaint besides what even the instructor said was excessive gravel on the course, is the lack of facilities. It is a bare bones no frills place. Had 2 porta johns and no where to wash you hands. Other than that, it was good.
Love to see people tracking cars like yours. I wouldn't own one if I couldn't track it, but I've had the bug for a little while now... kinda distorts reality.

Yeah, MSRH has much nicer facilities. I'll be out there in March with driver's edge. Looks like chin is doing the one in April. I need to try them sometime as well.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes Chin. That’s the group I joined based on a recommendation.
Sponsored