Sponsored

First time manual transmission owner, is this thud normal?

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP ingot silver
  • Banned
Going into first or first to 2nd I feel and hear a thud coming from lower rear of the car. Is this something that I shouldn't worry about? I have 150 miles on my car and just want to be reassured that it's normal transmission noise because I have nothing else to compare to.
Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
There is a HUGE thread on this which is located only a few posts away...

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11569

As for the thud, my 2015 GT Performance Pack has it too, and it is really annoying/frustrating. Some members have had a good experience by changing the transmission oil. Check out the link above; tons of reading.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Going into first or first to 2nd I feel and hear a thud coming from lower rear of the car. Is this something that I shouldn't worry about? I have 150 miles on my car and just want to be reassured that it's normal transmission noise because I have nothing else to compare to.
It's normal

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Ford says the PP transmissions are noisier than the non-PP. They not only thud but they make a whining noise when shifting. The whine in mine is extremely loud and annoying.

Sponsored

OP
OP

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hello 5.0steve,

Welcome to the forum. My name is Deysha with Ford Service. First, you should bring it in to your Ford Dealer and have them check it out to ensure nothing else is going on. Then, let’s get this escalated and documented for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I have been desensitized to the thud, that I no longer believe it exists
If I had a dime for every time thud has been mentioned on this forum. :lol:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The easiest solution, when you push the clutch in give a second or two before you shift into first gear. Problem solved.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I think my manual V6 might have developed some kind of clutch clutter. When I step on the clutch (esp. with some force) while it is still under load, I can hear some cluttering noise.

Don't know if this is normal or not. My last car (not Mustang) also did this. Did not affect performance so far, but let's see.

Sponsored

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Mine makes a thud from under the car, but also a loud click when going into gear. Anyone else get that?

OP
OP

5.0steve

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine makes a thud from under the car, but also a loud click when going into gear. Anyone else get that?
Yep I get some type of clicking too

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Torsen is clunky

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Torsen is clunky
:doh: The gearbox is clunky. The CV joints and splines are clunky. The Torsen itself actually has very good backlash characteristics for a differential. But since, in this car, it is mated to a 3.73:1 final drive, the gear ratio is doing more multiplication of the system lash than takes place with non-Torsen axles.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
thanks
Ive had my drive shaft out and noticed no play on the transmission side, but I can rotate the the flange on the diff back and forth and thats the clunking sound I hear, my axles have no play by hand I also have the 3.73 gears so that could be it. JMEO changed his gears to 3.31's and its still there, another friend has a non PP car that has the same play in the diff flange but cant hear it in the car.

A carbon fiber drive shaft has muted it better than the stock drive shaft but its still noticeable.
Sponsored