First Time HPDE in GT350 - Review

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
This past weekend I took the car to Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson Texas for a 2 day event. Thought I would share a bit of the experience and what you can expect if you haven't done this yet.

First off the event was hosted by The Drivers Edge who has been doing this for 24 years. Can't say enough about the staff, very professional but fun. I got very lucky and had a fantastic instructor, an Aussie named Darron who was lead instructor at this track for 8 years and taught with The Drivers Edge for 19 years. Some others I spoke with were not as happy with their instructors. Not saying they were bad instructors but basically IMO you need to establish a relationship with the instructor so some of it is on you.

The Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson can be configured 3 ways (1.3, 1.7 and 3.1 mile). We ran counter clockwise in the 3.1 mile configuration. It is a fun and fast track but does have considerable elevation change including some blind hills you will top at speed. Track was well maintained and facilities were nice. Plenty of 93 octane gas available at nearby gas stations. Both days I topped off in the AM at the station next to the track and my last session my low fuel light came on. We ran 4 (25 minute) sessions per day and had parade laps during lunch where you drive the course with no passing at lower speeds. This is the best opportunity to learn the track, find reference points etc.

The way it is structured there was a all hands driver meeting start of day. Then driving sessions began. First day Green (beginners) had classroom before their first session. Thereafter you have a driving session then classroom time right after. As you can imagine with each classroom session there is a review of your last drive and additional learning topics get added.

As I had quite a bit of anxiety about what I needed to bring and be prepared for I thought I would share that.

Prior to HPDE
1. Got brake fluid flush with Motul 600 fluid
2. Got moderate track alignment

What I brought
1. Torque Wrench - Used between sessions
2. Air compressor - Did not use
3. Tire Pressure Gauge - Used between sessions
4. Folding Chair - Did not use
5. 2 quarts oil - Did not use (thankfully :))
6. 1 bottle brake fluid - Did not use (thankfully :))
7. Rags - Did use to check oil between every session

What to expect
1. Expect to learn a lot even if you have read all the articles and think you know everything about cars.
2. Expect to get passed by Miatas, Focus RS, Subaru hell I even got passed by a Tesla Model 3 once.
3. Expect to pass the cars in #2 above once you get comfortable with the track and car's capabilities.
4. Expect the car to outperform you even stock, it will far exceed your driving abilities.
5. Expect to get better after every session but don't be surprised if you have a bad session, shake it off and learn from it.

Biggest things I learned
1. Use the whole track, coming out of a corner you are building speed take it out to the edge of the track.
2. Trust the car at this level it will look after you.
3. Don't trust your fellow drivers. There was ALL types of cars and drivers even in the beginners group. Some were over confident and coming up on them fast or them riding your ass may not end well. I got track insurance and was glad I did.
4. Your goal by end of the event should be to always be on the brakes or gas never coasting.
5. Learn the course, study it on paper talk through it, know what corner is coming after the one you are entering.
6. Stay focused and calm - in my first session of day 2 I got flustered with a faster car wanting to pass me and lost track of where I was on the course about half way through the session. I never recovered that session and spent my downtime with #5 above.

What surprised me most was how well the tires were able to grip the track even the stock Pilot Sports I have were more than enough tire for my abilities. I ran in sport mode all but the first session. The first day traction control kicked on once. The second day it kicked on more but I would not want to drive without it at my level. My instructor at one point told me get on the throttle harder I want you to get a feel for how far you can push it before TC kicks in.

Just have fun, talk to the other drivers, be humble everyone payed the same price of admission and is there to learn. If they offer it take a ride with your instructor in their car or someone in the red group. I recommend this 2nd day about midway through just when you start to get comfortable and think you have it down. You'll be amazed at their speed compared to yours.

Edit - One more thing I wanted to mention. Don't worry about heel toe or even shifting at all for your first event (depending on the track and your abilities). For the first 6 sessions I never left 3rd gear. Towards the end of my 6th I was just getting up enough speed out of the corners to wind it to 8K RPM. At that point I added 4th gear in 2 places on the track. When you do down shift do it straight line not in the turn. I would down shift as I hit the braking zone and let the clutch out just before getting to the turn in. If you wait till you are turning and getting back on the throttle the rear end will come around.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Sounds like you had a great day! Did they give you a warning about the addictive nature of track days?

Something to consider - don't overuse the torque wrench. After doing this for 15 years, I've settled on torquing my lug nuts to spec in the paddock before the start of the first session and leaving them alone for the rest of the day. The risk of torquing the lugs when the hubs and wheels are hot is that the metal has expanded from the heat. The factory took this into account, so it's normal. However, if you get the wrench and check them when they're hot, they might feel a bit loose. So you put an extra half-turn on them to get them back to spec. At that point, however, the nuts are tightened way past the point where they'll be at spec when they're cold. As the assembly cools and shrinks back to its normal size, the studs can come under enormous tension and develop cracks.

Also, a five gallon gas can is a great addition to your kit - as you go faster you'll use more gas, and it's just easier to have it there when you need it and not have to leave for a gas station run. I actually bring three gas cans - sometimes I only use one, but occasionally the organizer changes things up and I need all three.