Sponsored

First suspension mod: BMR Rear Sway and end link -Impressions and some snaps

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
See signature for parts. I've installed a few things already, but suspension wise this is the first one. My buddy and I didnt get to the front as we ran out of time (we did catback as well, more on that later). It seems the front end links will be harder to get to as well.

Some installation impressions:
Taking the rear wheel off made things a lot easier with the end links. Adjusting the end-links to get the length right is a bit tedious (nothing to do with the end-links themselves, its getting the right length dialed in!).

The end links are substantially thicker than the OEM ones, which look like chicken bones.

The black hammer tone finish is very nice.

Suggestions/thoughts:
  • One suggestion to BMR would be to include the grease for the brackets. That would make the kit a full (no parts needed) one!
  • Also, weirdly enough, the front sway bar bracket/clamps seem more robust than the rear ones, which are thinner and flatter.
  • Lastly, the left bracket (drivers side) didn't line up perfectly with the holes in the body, meaning, I had to screw one of the bolts in a little off-center. The right side was perfect. We were tempted to dremel it to ensure there was no binding/line it up properly, but didnt. Kelly @BMRTech, might ping you for some advice.

The rear sway bar doesn't seem thicker or heavier than the OEM one, but per BMR the rates are much stiffer (65%-200+%). Looking at it, you dont feel this is a huge upgrade so I didnt expect much.

Now to driving: Big difference in cornering. I have stock OEM wheels/tires etc, and the sway bar set on the second hole. Immediately on the drive back home in the low speed corners under throttle - the whole car felt way more flat. Infact, I couldnt detect any lean, which is remarkable as this PP has a fair bit (for a performance car). Also, it seemed like the rear hopped a little less on turns - but I might be wrong on that as I cant see how that would happen (probably more to do with the warmer weather!). The front felt more 'pointy' and pushed less, however, I did not have any noticeable increase in over steer. I'd argue, the car put the power better down in the tight turns under power than before (prior there was roll and slide). Unfortunately, by the time I go to autocross in the spring/summer I will have many more mods, so it will be difficult to know for sure what does what.

Lastly, on the straights you do feel the chassis in the rear is stiffer, very mildly so. No detectable increase in NVH.
Overall, this is a solid cheap mod that will make your car handle flatter. I'm sure you would see improvements in the slalom as well!

Also did the Solo exhaust - need to make some adjustments to the install as I ran out of time, but impressions coming soon!
20160316_195650_resized_1.jpg
20160316_195702_resized_1.jpg
20160316_195713_resized_1.jpg
20160316_195720_resized_1.jpg
20160316_200514_resized_1.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: