Sponsored

First Oil Change......just a quick Public Servic Announcement

Speedycrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K1913, 2010 Mustang GT (racecar)
OK...I will preface this post by saying that I have changed the oil in ALL of my cars and trucks by myself for the last thirty years. Yesterday I changed the oil in the Bullitt for the first time. Everything went fine however, there is one VERY important point I thought I would bring up to the group.

THE OIL COMES OUT LIKE A FIREHOSE STREAM ON STEROIDS! I have never seen another car/truck like it!

Now I realized that the engine held 10 quarts, however I failed to observe the fact that the drain is twice the diameter of most common drain plugs. I had the car on the lift, and an 12 quart pan underneath on a transmission jack, the massive flow of oil just about blew the container off the transmission stand and sent oil everywhere. After managing to keep the setup from hitting the ground, I watched the oil build up in the container as the air vent wasn't allowing enough air to escape and let the oil into the container.....spilling another good amount onto the garage floor. In the end I think i got about 8 gallons into the container and about 2 gallons on the floor!

In the past, my Dodge Ram 3500 diesel came close to this amount of oil outflow, but I think the Bullitt/Coyote motor has it beat in massive oil dump capacities!

Oil changers beware.....I was not ready when I unleashed the beast! :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I almost had the same problem, I place a piece of cardboard placed between the oil pan and the bell housing to act as a deflection dam for the large oil stream. I also drilled a 1" hole in the top rear part of my 12 qt oil drain container and caped it with a 1" body plug from Autozone, I remove the body plug to allow the air to escape, then re-plug it when I am going to remove the drain pan and pour out the oil back into the orig oil containers.

OP
OP
Speedycrw

Speedycrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I almost had the same problem, I place a piece of cardboard placed between the oil pan and the bell housing to act as a deflection dam for the large oil stream. I also drilled a 1" hole in the top rear part of my 12 qt oil drain container and caped it with a 1" body plug from Autozone, I remove the body plug to allow the air to escape, then re-plug it when I am going to remove the drain pan and pour out the oil back into the orig oil containers.
Good idea on drilling and capping a larger vent hole! I am going to do that.

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this info. Really good stuff to know. I want to change my oil when it needs it on my GT...Do you guys recommend doing this if I only have a jack/jackstands? I have also changed oil for 35-40 years

I just don't want any clowns touching my car :-)

Any issues getting the Oil filter off?

Thanks- Albert

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a side note. Changing the oil with a floor jack and jack stands is perfect. I always get the car off the ground so I can rotate the tires at the same time. On the Mustang the first thing do, after the car has been raised, is remove the driver side front tire. This gives you a easier path to the oil filter, and allows more room to get underneath the car and position yourself for a quick getaway if you miss the drain pan. Then, as the oil is draining I remove the other three tires and reinstall them. Leaving the driver side front till last. Dont forget to place some tinfoil under the filter so that oil does not drip down into the belly pan.

Sponsored

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just a side note. Changing the oil with a floor jack and jack stands is perfect. I always get the car off the ground so I can rotate the tires at the same time. On the Mustang the first thing do, after the car has been raised, is remove the driver side front tire. This gives you a easier path to the oil filter, and allows more room to get underneath the car and position yourself for a quick getaway if you miss the drain pan. Then, as the oil is draining I remove the other three tires and reinstall them. Leaving the driver side front till last. Dont forget to place some tinfoil under the filter so that oil does not drip down into the belly pan.
Thanks for this info.
One more question- do you need an oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter or could you twist it off by hand?
Was it difficult to figure out that oil plug removal? Watched couple of videos on it- it doesn't appear to be that difficult- I'm just a firs timer

Finally, my car just turned 2000miles. I broke it in by the book (Knowing others don't believe in this) and I've only redlined it once- maybe twice. I am going to wait until 2500-3000 miles for the first oil change. Do you see any harm in this?

Thanks again for all the info and answering my questions!
Albert

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The oil plug is super easy. Just a quick twist. I was able to take mine off by hand. It will depend on how tight the Ford eng tech put it on
Always remember to oil the oil seal and put it on by hand for the next time. As far as the miles, I have always changed my first oil change on a new car at under 2k. Just so I can check out for metallic particles in the oil. Other then the inspection of the oil 3k on the oil is not a big deal at all. All my other changes occurre in 5k intervals.

OP
OP
Speedycrw

Speedycrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
My oil filter came off twisting by hand...right from the production floor that is the first time I have seen that. Usually they are rammed on so hard you have to deform the filter to get it off. My Dodge Ram pickups' filters are seemingly put on with impact guns from the factory! Removing the plug is a simple twist and pull.....but as I said....just be ready. Kind of humorous that old racer positions himself for a quick getaway in case of a miss with the oil pan! That shows you what kind of geyser you have to be ready for!

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Guys- All great info. Good to hear these filters are coming off by hand. Watched a couple of youtube vids on changing the oil so I could get a sense of geyser will be like- all the guys in the videos made the same comments about it

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Question about Oil and Oil Filter brand

What brand of Oil do you guys suggest: Penzoil, Mobile-1, etc? (I got the 5w20/5w30 part)
What about Oil filter? I looked at the Motorcraft oil filter yesterday in the autopartts store, and it looked pretty cheap. Any suggestions?

Thanks- Albert

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oil and filter brands are kinda a personal choice. I use Mobil 1 oil and filter in all my cars, and have doing so for over 30 years. As far as oil weight, I use 5W30 in my stock Mustang GT.

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks 1 old racer....I went with the mobile one products and 5w30. Looking forward to changing this oil on the weekend. Also gonna try to cut open my oil filter to inspect for metal shavings. We only do the first oil change once. Might was well enjoy it

OP
OP
Speedycrw

Speedycrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I went with a combination of Amsoil 5w20 and Amsoil 5w30, only because that is what I had left in the garage. I use the FL820 filters on the race car so I had plenty on hand and used that for the Bullitt as well. Next time I will use all TEN quarts of 5w30 Amsoil. Good luck with the geyser! :) Remember old racer's wise advice, plan a getaway route :)

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thru the magic of YouTube I got a great look at the oil geyser in this video. The girl is trying to be a car chick, but as you'll see she doesn't know what she's doing (trying to be nice here :-)). At the 4:45 mark she pulls the oil plug and I got a great view of where to place the oil pan and all that. Try not to cringe when she is going 'eeeEEEeeewwwWW it got in my hair' lol

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
OK...I will preface this post by saying that I have changed the oil in ALL of my cars and trucks by myself for the last thirty years. Yesterday I changed the oil in the Bullitt for the first time. Everything went fine however, there is one VERY important point I thought I would bring up to the group.

THE OIL COMES OUT LIKE A FIREHOSE STREAM ON STEROIDS! I have never seen another car/truck like it!

Now I realized that the engine held 10 quarts, however I failed to observe the fact that the drain is twice the diameter of most common drain plugs. I had the car on the lift, and an 12 quart pan underneath on a transmission jack, the massive flow of oil just about blew the container off the transmission stand and sent oil everywhere. After managing to keep the setup from hitting the ground, I watched the oil build up in the container as the air vent wasn't allowing enough air to escape and let the oil into the container.....spilling another good amount onto the garage floor. In the end I think i got about 8 gallons into the container and about 2 gallons on the floor!

In the past, my Dodge Ram 3500 diesel came close to this amount of oil outflow, but I think the Bullitt/Coyote motor has it beat in massive oil dump capacities!

Oil changers beware.....I was not ready when I unleashed the beast! :)

Holy crap!!! 10 gallons of oil!!........... ford is playing it safe with these engines! lol sorry had to do it. :giggle:
Sponsored