First Oil Change / Break In / Storage

TMully06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2017 F80 M3, 2020 Lincoln Navigator Black Label
I only have about 300 miles on the car and my family is in the middle of a relocation (don't have much time to drive it)... and we are coming up quickly on its time to be put away for the year (next couple of weeks the weather will turn here in Indiana)... any strong opinions on weather I should change the oil prior to storage?... I wanted to get 500-750 on it prior to the first change to ensure it was a little more broken in... but I also am not sure how i feel about the original oil sitting in there idle for 4-5 months.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight.

Tim
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Definitely change the oil before storage. Old oil has contaminants in it that will damage if the engine components if left sitting (although this will take a long time to happen, not something likely in a few months of storage.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You will be fine putting it away for storage.
Storage wise, I would put a bottle of Seafoam in the tank, fill all the way up and drive it for an hour ish making sure everything is warm. Then top up the tank and put away.
Use a battery tender and make sure the tires pressures are correct.
I mean if the weather is fine and roads are dry, take her out for a spin.
Don't start the car unless you know you will be driving her for at least 30 min to 1 hour. Starting the engine and letting it idle while being stored is the worst thing you can do.
I never really fully put my toys away even in midwest winter because there is always time to drive/ride them.
Sponsored