Sponsored

First oil change and they cant even get that right.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
So took my base 21 gt in for the first (free) oil change at the dealer on sat. Didnt even look at the service documentation until sun. Lists 10qts of 5w-20????? WTF??? Called them this am and asked is that a typo or did you really put the wrong oil in my engine. Service rep put me on hold, came back on and said she checked with the tech and he put 5w-30 in my car. Would you trust them?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Would you trust them?
Not necessarily, but I also wouldn't be anywhere near as alarmed as you are over what they put in whether w20 or w30.

For one, there's very little difference between the two, and the recommendation only changed in 2021. Also, you should be pretty well covered if anything does go wrong. You have valid proof an approved Ford technician at a Ford dealership did the work. If anything were to go wrong due to the oil change, it would not be your fault whatsoever.

I would say maybe ask for a drain and re-fill, but if they decline I would not worry about it much.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the 2021 GT's did use 5W-20. Auto I am assuming since you stated 10 quarts.

No, I would not trust them. That's why I do all maintenance on my own cars.

OP
OP
paulm1

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the 2021 GT's did use 5W-20. Auto I am assuming since you stated 10 quarts.

No, I would not trust them. That's why I do all maintenance on my own cars.
My manual, and the fill cap says 5w-30.

Sponsored

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I wouldn't trust a dealer if you paid me. Well maybe if you paid me alot. Will it damage your engine, no. Would I make them change it again. Nope, I'd just do it myself if it bothered me. Good time to swap to Pennzoil Premium Platnium things.

Richard

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
So took my base 21 gt in for the first (free) oil change at the dealer on sat. Didnt even look at the service documentation until sun. Lists 10qts of 5w-20????? WTF??? Called them this am and asked is that a typo or did you really put the wrong oil in my engine. Service rep put me on hold, came back on and said she checked with the tech and he put 5w-30 in my car. Would you trust them?
I had a similar experience with my GT350. The paperwork said something like 5W-20, when the car uses 5W-50. I wasn't worried because I actually watched the service tech open the case of 5W-50, and put it in. But i asked because I was curious why it said 5W-20? They said that it's just a generic designation that comes up in the paperwork for all oil changes. So it might just be a thing in Ford's system for all oil changes.

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
I had a similar experience with my GT350. The paperwork said something like 5W-20, when the car uses 5W-50. I wasn't worried because I actually watched the service tech open the case of 5W-50, and put it in. But i asked because I was curious why it said 5W-20? They said that it's just a generic designation that comes up in the paperwork for all oil changes. So it might just be a thing in Ford's system for all oil changes.
I've had the exact same issue with my local dealer as the Ecoboost HPP is also spec for 5W-50. I can tell by the oil pressure. Last time I had to get the service director involved since I had the oil type all over the paperwork and the tech still used the wrong oil. Had them drain and refill. Gerrrr! While 5w-30 would not really hurt things it's the point..

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
At my last oil change I asked the dealer if I could get 5W-30 syn blend (instead of 5W-20, which was recommended for the '18) and the service writer told me they only had 5W-30 in full synthetic, at considerably higher cost. I'm not sure if they were just trying to upsell me, or if they legitimately didn't carry 5W-30 in synth blend. Anyway, fine I just went with the 5W-20.

My real complaint is that after the service, I noticed my IAT was reading unusually high (140+ F) at anything less than highway speed. I found that the dealer opened my airbox for some reason (probably to check the air filter, but I hate it when they do work besides what I specifically authorized). Anyway, the airbox lid was just sitting on top of those tabs that lock it down, so it was just open along that front edge, sucking in hot unfiltered air. 90% of customers would have probably never noticed, since it didn't trip any warning lights or have any driveability symptoms.

So even after basic maintenance at an authorized dealer, you really need to go over the car and do an inspection to make sure something isn't fouled up or broken. In other situations with Ford and GM dealers, I've had them leave off the coolant tank cap, tear the intake hose, etc. Everyone is in such a rush they just aren't careful.

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I've ran into this before. The item list would say 5w20 and then the notes from the tech would say 5w30.
I think it just depends on how they enter it in the computer. I wouldn't worry too much about it. its on them if something happens

Sponsored

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
Recent oil change at dealership... returned home afterwards and saw the service form notes said they used 9 quarts 5w20, owners manual said the car needed 10 quarts 5w30.... oil fill cap said 5w30... dipstick looked a little low... took it back asap and had them redo the oil change for my peace of mind even though the tech said he used the correct oil the first time. I kept the original service form and attached it to the redo form. Explanation was there was a mixup with the parts department not realizing that the 2021 Mach 1's now require 5w30.

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
Yeah,.. and your experience was interesting to read.... Next oil change I will be giving them a copied page from my manual that shows the spec for the 2021. Who knows which tech I will get and if they know what's what.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
My last oil change at "a" dealership, they put in 10 quarts of oil in my '16. And the only way I knew was because I gave them 2 5qt bottles of oil that I had purchased. I get in the car and notice no extra bottle. So I asked the service mgr. and the guy asks the tech. Oops! They said they would drain out the extra 2 quarts and I said hell no, drain it all out and fill it again. Then give me a refund on the 2 quarts of oil I now don't have. He wasn't happy about it but I watched them do it. Needless to say, I never went back.