First Oil Change And The "Tick"

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Has anyone tested the factory oil before the first oil change? Has ford put something in there ???
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Has anyone tested the factory oil before the first oil change? Has ford put something in there ???
A number of members have weighed in on this in previous threads. No one has found anything that indicates there is a special factory oil fill. I inspected the original oil when I changed it, even cut open the filter, it looked/smelled/felt like just oil.

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
32,000 miles and I’ve had the Ford Performance calibration for a year. I got 99 problems and a tick ain’t one of them.
Try not to worry about it. Ford made a great engine.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I have seen lots of people try thicker oils, different brands etc., has anyone tried 0w-20? did it make any difference?
In the absence of any answers I just dumped my 5W-20 MotorCraft Synthetic fill with Ceratec that did nothing to solve the cold knock sound. Replaced with PUP 0W-20 synthetic, no Ceratec. I didn't bother replacing the filter as I will get the regular oil change done when the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) says so. This was just an experiment and I am supposing that the approx 1/3 quart of oil and Ceratec in the filter won't make much noticeable difference in 10 quarts.

i will report if it made any difference.

FYI, at 5000KM of a few long trips and lots of short trips, the oil was clean, very little darkening from soot/carbon with a very noticeable Cafe-Au-Lait color. Smelled better than expected for 5000KM

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I know I have the tick, I've posted a video here before. I don't hear it though because between the stereo and the exhaust, I'm not hearing anything from that engine compartment :)

Sponsored

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
I threw in a bottle of Ceretec about 400 miles ago and it immediately stopped the tick and it hasn't come back yet so far. Just before that it was happening everytime it would sit idling at operating temps.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Could be. But in that case, the theory that the noise is normal wouldn't be valid anymore.
Ford's silence can only mean two things. Either they have no idea what's causing it, or they know it's not normal and are lying to us.
The information a corp like Ford publishes is sometimes up to interpretation, even not publishing any information is. Unless they are forced by law or to prevent litigation by not deliberately postponing and delaying information that could prevent damages, I am sure a corp will not deliberately publish any info that would hurt their reputation and business just for the sake to be transparent and honest to the public. I can relate very much to NoVaGT's point of view there. Ford eventually decide on what is 'normal' independent of 3rd party research and test results.
Should they not classify it as normal, and of course there will always be somebody who might get the impression his car is affected, they weaken their position a lot.
Normality is hard to define and depends on value systems, scope, rules and what not,.

Yes, there are some sounds coming from the engine that probably make people uncomfortable, sounds which are characteristic for a Coyote, but not for a different engine. If not, both engines would be identical.
A fair comparison would be against a different engine with DOHC 32 value V8 with phasers on intake and exhaust, 8 port and 8 direct injectors.
But even when the other one would not show the same sound characteristics, doesn't make the coyote sound less normal.

I came to terms with it since I never had a V8 before and accept that a Coyote just does these sounds from factory. These engines are more complicated that a traditional push-rod engine.
And also there are 6.5 years of warranty left, so I'm good with it.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The information a corp like Ford publishes is sometimes up to interpretation, even not publishing any information is. Unless they are forced by law or to prevent litigation by not deliberately postponing and delaying information that could prevent damages, I am sure a corp will not deliberately publish any info that would hurt their reputation and business just for the sake to be transparent and honest to the public.
I don't expect them to "publish" the information, i.e. to issue a press statement or something. But they could mention the cause, or at least hint at it, in the TSB itself. I've seen a lot of TSBs which went like "if a customer expresses concern regarding this issue, then the cause is xxxx and the resolution is yyyy". They're not opposed to giving this kind of information in a TSB. Whereas in this case the TSB sounds more like "if a customer is concerned about this issue, just tell them it's normal and send them home".
That's why I suspect that they either have no clue, or they're hiding something.

And if you think that acknowledging the cause of this issue could hurt their reputation and business, doesn't that mean that the truth is bad? Because why would it hurt them if that weren't the case?

If they want us to believe it's normal, but they won't disclose the cause, then they should at least explain:
- why not all engines do it (does this mean the other engines are not normal?)
- why those engines that do it, never do it right from the start, but only after an oil change

I would believe it's normal if:
- either they told us what was causing it,
- or all engines, without exception, did it, and they did it right from day one.

Without any explanations whatsoever what they request from us is a massive, massive leap of faith. And frankly, they're not exactly known for integrity and trustworthiness, so they're really asking a lot from us.

Last edited:

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
It's hard to get to the truths if a lot depends on it. And who knows if there were some engineers at Ford who actually wanted to have a more thorough look at this but were turned down by management. Even if these engineers knew they could not just publish this without getting sued by Ford, life as a whistleblower is not comfortable.
Reducing the attack surface is paramount for product manufacturers. Ford is not the only one that is hiding their ass here.
Regarding getting to the truths: For example we have a law here (freedom of information act) that force government institutions to release requested information to the public. Sometimes they just do not comply (even when they are obligated by law). You have to go to court to enforce your right and then it takes months until they release the information. Yes they will lose and yes, they waste the time of the courts and tax money of the people but that's how it is. That is already bad. Doing the same against a big corp is a little bit more expensive.
I can feel your pain there.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm not in pain yet, as my first oil change is still a few months away. It's due in October. My engine still purrs like a kitten.
I'm not too worried. It may not even develop any tick at all after the oil change. And if it does, I will use Ceratec. And if that fails, I will ignore it.
It's just that I don't think it's normal. Everything we know (or don't know) about it so far seems to point to an anomaly. And if Ford, who's been known to lie to us before, is so arrogantly dismissing our concerns without any explanation, that isn't bound to inspire too much confidence. I cringe when I hear people say, "it's normal because Ford said so". The fact that Ford said so doesn't mean squat.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I am on the side of a previous poster. If it did it day one and on your test drive you could judge for yourself and every car did it then you got to make an informed decision. But instead either through luck or deliberately engineered to be hidden by additives or special oil blend Ford obscure the issue until such time as you have bought the car that pisses me off.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I have no dog in this hunt. I only race and have no cats so I can use HDEO with the extra zddp. I have had zero tick issue over many oil changes but I'm 1 datapoint. Ceratec adds to the oil change cost and might be just like liq moly or another additive which are often extra zddp and or Moly which in theory can contaminate cats. In the old days under different smog rules Rotella T6 was SN rated for cars. I still use it for everything despite having lost the SN rating under new smog rules. I'm figuring any zddp cat comtamination is minimal in my street cars and have used T6 for decade with no issue on the cats. So I'll take the extra Zddp protection. In my racecars I have always used HDEO because it is way cheaper and can be found anywhere versus say valvoline racing oil with similar zddp levels.

I wonder if those with the tick would benefit from HDEO's extra zddp with diesel additive package to quite their coyotes? T6 is cheaper than PCMO and even cheaper if you factor in not using the ceratec. It would be an interesting experiment and if proven successful would do the coyote world a great service. Much hassle, angst, and cost could be saved by the community.

Note that many are not happy T6 is no longer SN rated so shell made two T6's one SN rated and one not. so read the bottles. The SN oils are 10-30 and 0-40 a popular weight for passenger cars but took out much of the zddp that you want. You still can save on average over the lower cost o diesel oils over PCMO. The other T6's for diesels like 15-40 is perfect viscosity for my S550 racecar and has all the zddp and full diesel additive package. You want the diesel formulated T6 without the SN rating to see if the extra zddp stops the tick.

What do you guys think of trying that?

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
How much Ceratec does one normally add to an oil change?

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
I used 1 bottle, some have used more, some less. The actual instructions od the product lists how much to used based on oil capacity in liters, but to get the tick to go away may vary in amount needed I suppose. Some say it did nothing for them. Worked for me so far though.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I threw in a bottle of Ceretec about 400 miles ago and it immediately stopped the tick and it hasn't come back yet so far. Just before that it was happening everytime it would sit idling at operating temps.
Do you put the ceratec in with 10qts in engine
,or do you add is as part of the oil change
Sponsored