Sponsored

First Oil Change And The "Tick"

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Is your car not operating? Does it burn lots of oil? Does it not meet all the Federal and State regulations?
Go read the terms of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. It covers a LOT more than just "burning lots of oil".

As someone else said - if there was an annoying plastic rattle in the _dash_ I would be in the dealership asking them to fix it.

And besides: I'm allowed to complain about whatever I want. That's what the forum is for. If you don't like this particular complaint... then go read something else.
Sponsored

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's like I post in Greek, or Latin or something. Like what should be easily understandable points can't be grasped.

Prove it.

Post up the dozens of videos you took when the car was brand new, and then current ones, showing the sound noise changes.

It's like I post in Greek, or Latin or something. Like what should be easily understandable points can't be grasped.

Prove it.

Post up the dozens of videos you took when the car was brand new, and then current ones, showing the sound noise changes.
I don't have to prove anything to you - but here is the best piece of video I have that has the engine sound after the car has been driven for a while and is all warmed up. The car had been sitting at idle for several minutes when I started filming this and absolutely would have been ticking like crazy. This is from a couple of days after I bought it.

(note - this is a clip from a larger video... but this is the only piece where I got down near the engine)

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
snip...

But Ford's utter inability to at least tell us what's causing this sound isn't exactly apt to inspire confidence. They're saying: "we're completely clueless, we have absolutely no idea what's causing it, but you can rest assured that it's perfectly normal, just trust us".

...snip
Ford *knows* what it is, the company has enough test data, manufacturing data, repair data, and engineers to know everything about the engine. That Ford does not want to share this information with us is the issue. Most corporations operate this way, that does not excuse it but it is reality and if we refuse to buy products from corporations that do this we will be buying very little,

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Not yet - still gunshy about the warranty. But it is gaining steam in my brain...
It wont have any adverse affects if you use as directed. Just be prepared it may not work. Me and a few others tried the magic juice and it did nothing. I believe it's a sound all these cars make. I haven't heard one yet that doesn't make it. I take co workers for rides and some of them were oblivious to my 2k rattle till I pointed it out on other drives. Like @NoVaGT has mentioned in several threads, the tick at idle has no real rhyme or reason. Some mornings when I walk up to my running car, I hear it quite a bit and others I do not.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford *knows* what it is, the company has enough test data, manufacturing data, repair data, and engineers to know everything about the engine. That Ford does not want to share this information with us is the issue. Most corporations operate this way, that does not excuse it but it is reality and if we refuse to buy products from corporations that do this we will be buying very little,
I don't think they do. If they did, they would have said so in the TSB (unless it's something so bad that they don't want to share it because it would contradict their assertion that it's normal and benign).
I think they don't have a clue what it is, so they just dismiss it and hope for the best. Like they always do.

Last edited:

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I have seen lots of people try thicker oils, different brands etc., has anyone tried 0w-20? did it make any difference?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I don't think they do. If they did, they would have said so in the TSB (unless it's something so bad that they don't want to share it because it would contradict their assertion that it's normal and benign).
I think they don't have a clue what it is, so they just dismiss it and hope for the best. Like they always do.
I wish this were true but I doubt it is. I also bet they know exactly what it is. I bet in an acceptable (to them) percentage, it doesn't cause any catastrophic failures in acceptable (to them) miles. They weigh this vs the cost to recall and/or start manufacturing the solution and we get the answer. It's always about the money. Or like myself and others have said, it's the dual fuel systems and maybe some other already explained things making the noises that they do.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wish this were true but I doubt it is. I also bet they know exactly what it is. I bet in an acceptable (to them) percentage, it doesn't cause any catastrophic failures in acceptable (to them) miles. They weigh this vs the cost to recall and/or start manufacturing the solution and we get the answer. It's always about the money.
Could be. But in that case, the theory that the noise is normal wouldn't be valid anymore.
Ford's silence can only mean two things. Either they have no idea what's causing it, or they know it's not normal and are lying to us.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Could be. But in that case, the theory that the noise is normal wouldn't be valid anymore.
Ford's silence can only mean two things. Either they have no idea what's causing it, or they know it's not normal and are lying to us.
Either case, it's what they've told all their people to tell us. I haven't heard a gen 3 coyote that didn't make the same sounds as mine so that logic lets me also say it's normal. I tend to simply stay out of that RPM range when easy to do so.

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I can live with the tick at 2k but that piston slap like noise at idle when not hot drives me nuts. I will drive an extra 20 minutes for a coffee just to allow the engine time to heat up just so i don't have to listen to that god awful noise at a drive through. And yeah it's starting to bug me enough that it is interfering with my enjoyment of the car. :frown:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I haven't heard a gen 3 coyote that didn't make the same sounds as mine so that logic lets me also say it's normal.
If you're talking about the 2K rattle or other such noises, then I completely agree. I'm sure they're normal.
However, the hideous typewriter tick is different. Not all engines make it. And those that do make it, only make it after the first - or sometimes second - oil change. Never before. So it doesn't look normal at all to me. Something abnormal definitely happens to some engines when the factory oil is replaced.

Last edited:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
If you're talking about the 2K rattle or other such noises, then I completely agree. I'm sure they're normal.
However, the hideous typewriter tick is different. Not all engines make it. And those that do make it, only make it after the first - or sometimes second - oil change. Never before. So it doesn't look normal at all to me. Something abnormal definitely happens to some engines when the factory oil is replaced.
Agree. 2k rattle every coyote I'm ben in or driven. Idle tick was after first oil change. Sounds like metal going through heat cycles or typewriter or bbq igniter. The only time I hear it is when sitting in front of my garage but it's not every time. Sometimes it's going crazy and other times silent.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Put in a bottle of Ceratec when you change your oil. Problem solved. Out of sight out of mind.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would think the oil from factory comes with something similar to Ceratec hence why the noise appears after the first oil is change.

My first engine started having the noise after the first oil change. My second motor had it from the get go as the oil was filled up in the shop.
Sponsored