First Oil Change And The "Tick"

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
With many people having the "tick" start after their first oil change, I am a bit anxious about having my oil changed. After 7 months and 2,300 miles of loving the car, should I be concerned about my first oil change? I realize Ford states it's normal behavior. Sorry to beat a dead horse over this, but it bothers me. Who does not have the dreaded tick in a 18+?
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
With many people having the "tick" start after their first oil change, I am a bit anxious about having my oil changed. After 7 months and 2,300 miles of loving the car, should I be concerned about my first oil change? I realize Ford states it's normal behavior. Sorry to beat a dead horse over this, but it bothers me. Who does not have the dreaded tick in a 18+?
Change the oil yourself, to verify: it has the correct oil (5w-20); the full 10 qt is in; the filter is pre-filled; the filter is tightened to spec. Maybe crank it over without starting until you see pressure. Don't worry about a tick.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Almost no one. It's fear, paranoia, stupidity, and severe levels of OCD.

People don't pay any attention until reading about it on the internet, and suddenly it's a thing. And since they read it starts after the first oil change, they pay no attention to anything until after the first oil change.

Then their minds play tricks on them, and what was the same exact noises before the first oil change, are different and "the dreaded tick" afterwards. Because OCD.

The "tick" is just direct injection, cam phasers, etc. working. There will be no difference in the sound after your first oil change.

Engines make noises, it's normal.

If you are burning lots of oil, THEN you have a problem.

Last edited:

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Almost no one. It's fear, paranoia, and stupidity.

People don't pay any attention until reading about it on the internet, and suddenly it's a thing.

The "tick" is just direct injection working. It's not the engine internals.

Have 2409 miles on 19,2 oil changes no ticks.2019 gt pp1 car.i watched them change oil to make sure they did it right.im 75bso beyond the years of changing oil.but if I did I'd probably get alot of a old oil on floor,it really comes shooting out like a hose.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Almost no one. It's fear, paranoia, stupidity, and severe levels of OCD.

People don't pay any attention until reading about it on the internet, and suddenly it's a thing. And since they read it starts after the first oil change, they pay no attention to anything until after the first oil change.

Then their minds play tricks on them, and what was the same exact noises before the first oil change, are different and "the dreaded tick" afterwards. Because OCD.

The "tick" is just direct injection, cam phasers, etc. working. There will be no difference in the sound after your first oil change.

If you are burning lots of oil, THEN you have a problem.

Bad info here.

Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the alternative? Not changing the oil?

My ‘15 has it. I just add a bottle of Ceratec and enjoy the car. If something does happen, I’ll worry about it then. In your case, that’s what the warranty is for.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Who does not have the dreaded tick in a 18+?
My car doesn't... so far. And I think the majority of engines don't have it, but we obviously hear the most of those who do. It's an unfortunate case of stacked up tolerances in one or more cylinders, which means Ford doesn't have great tolerances to begin with, but it is what it is. I personally think that's unacceptable, even if their claims of no long-term damage at all (which I really question).

At any rate, my car has just one oil change at 1,128 miles so far, with M1 0/30 and OEM filter. Right at 4.5K now, and will change oil again at 6K. I think the biggest hurdle is the 1st oil change. There's a chance to get the dreaded tick at the 2nd, but I'd say we're like 80% out of the woods after the 1st one. My engine really liked the M1 0/30, and it's one of the quietest Coyotes I've heard; hope it stays that way. Ha ha. By the way, if you start your engine right after the oil change, and the engine was warm (like it should be), no need to go to extremes to crank engine, etc. Engine is already coated with oil. And yes, always pre-fill filter as much as possible, which is not 100% on our car, due to the filter being at an angle (like 30-deg). When I started my car after the oil change, oil pressure was up immediately, and zero undesirable noises. The great thing about 0xx oil is it starts lubricating quicker than 5 at any temperature, which is why most manufacturers already call for that (no drawbacks, really).

Finally, by 'tick', we mean the nasty, random rod-knock banging that can be heard at idle (TAK...TAK.TAK.........TAK...), not the normal and even valve-train and DI ticking noises.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You have full 5 years left of warranty on the engine correct? There should not be anything you have to worry about or dread with the engine. Live your life and don't sweat the little things especially when you are fully covered.

Also as previously mentioned, the so called "dreaded tick" is a very minor (if that) inconvenience and most likely you won't even notice or hear it even if you have it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pkvir

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
You have full 5 years left of warranty on the engine correct? There should not be anything you have to worry about or dread with the engine. Live your life and don't sweat the little things especially when you are fully covered.

Also as previously mentioned, the so called "dreaded tick" is a very minor (if that) inconvenience and most likely you won't even notice or hear it even if you have it.
Yes, I have 5 years on the warranty and I am hearing challenged anyway, just ask my girlfriend. My biggest issue is my OCD, which is bad.

White_Bear_92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Base 10 speed
Drive the piss out of it man. I'm obsessive over shit myself, I get it. you have warranty coverage. Enjoy the powerplant and relax. All is well. :like:

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I can’t believe I missed a tick thread. I try to catch everyone and repeat the same thing.

Better luck next time I suppose.
Don't worry, there will be more and probably soon. ;)