First Oil Change And The "Tick"

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
Do you put the ceratec in with 10qts in engine
,or do you add is as part of the oil change
I added it on top of the 10 quarts I had recently put in, but probably could take an equivalent amount out first so as to not over fill it.
Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
In the absence of any answers I just dumped my 5W-20 MotorCraft Synthetic fill with Ceratec that did nothing to solve the cold knock sound. Replaced with PUP 0W-20 synthetic, no Ceratec. I didn't bother replacing the filter as I will get the regular oil change done when the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) says so. This was just an experiment and I am supposing that the approx 1/3 quart of oil and Ceratec in the filter won't make much noticeable difference in 10 quarts.

i will report if it made any difference.

FYI, at 5000KM of a few long trips and lots of short trips, the oil was clean, very little darkening from soot/carbon with a very noticeable Cafe-Au-Lait color. Smelled better than expected for 5000KM
Just to close the loop, no difference with 0W-20 no ceratec.

OP
OP
Pkvir

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
Just a follow up to my thread. Finally got my oil changes at 3,100 miles and no tick.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Just a follow up to my thread. Finally got my oil changes at 3,100 miles and no tick.

Mine started on the 2nd oil change...LiquiMoly Ceratec fixed it with only 1 can.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
5w20.keep mine all stock including oil,so if ever a question arises with enginee issues IV got the oil issue covered

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I've only had a very light tick SOMETIMES on startup, it's almost always gone away after its reached operating temp. It's rare and quiet enough that it never bothered me in anyway.

I moved to 5w-30 and I've yet to hear it return. It may be possible that things like heavier oil and ceratec only work depending on how bad(loud) the initial tick is by muffling it a bit. It would explain why some people have it go away, others don't, and why some people with supercharged cars running 5w50 say theirs went away.

I'd love to hear from a person who uses ceretec to remove the tick moved back to NO-ceretec if it returned, and if so if it then goes away after a 5w40 or 50 oil change.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I've only had a very light tick SOMETIMES on startup, it's almost always gone away after its reached operating temp. It's rare and quiet enough that it never bothered me in anyway.

I moved to 5w-30 and I've yet to hear it return. It may be possible that things like heavier oil and ceratec only work depending on how bad(loud) the initial tick is by muffling it a bit. It would explain why some people have it go away, others don't, and why some people with supercharged cars running 5w50 say theirs went away.

I'd love to hear from a person who uses ceretec to remove the tick moved back to NO-ceretec if it returned, and if so if it then goes away after a 5w40 or 50 oil change.
One forum member moved to non ceratec and the tick was still gone, but returned some miles later.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Sorry - but this is complete BS.

I was specifically looking for the sound before my first oil change… and never heard it.

The evening after my first oil change I was going through a drive-through and could hear it echoing off the wall. But - I tried to explain it away as “nothing” - and tried to tell myself that it wasn’t going to happen to me.

Two days later I was driving and I could not only hear it in the cabin (when sitting idle - which is the only time it makes the sound) - but I could also feel it in the stick shift. It was something I had definitely not ever felt in the car before.

It sounds like you don’t have it - great for you. But that doesn’t mean the rest of us are nuts.

Here is a video of mine showing what it sounds like (note: it only makes this sound after the engine is _hot_ and then sits at a low idle. It does NOT make this sound after startup at all). It is NOT AT ALL the cams or direct injection.

That is not the tick. You most certainly don’t feel the tick on the stick. I don’t know what that sound is, but it would certainly worry me.
I could feel some correlation to the tick on clutch pedal when the engine was ticking.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I 'll can tell you this, first oil change after break in 5w-20, did here more engine noise.

Just changed 5w-30, no additive it has quieted down. From the get-go I was not sold on 5w-20 .

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I 'll can tell you this, first oil change after break in 5w-20, did here more engine noise.

Just changed 5w-30, no additive it has quieted down. From the get-go I was not sold on 5w-20 .
there's topic discussing ford recommending 5w30 for my 22.

i've been using 5w20 with ceratec and trust it (ceratec) provides extra protection.

i'll be switching to 5w30 one of the next oil changes with reduction of ceratec.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
there's tpoic discussing ford recommending 5w30 for my 21 or 22, do not remember.

i've been using 5w2 with ceratec abd trust it provides extra protection.

i'll be switchin to 5w30 next oil changes

Think that is a wise move..

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
I never said it was rod knock or piston slap (unless you’re referring to my video titles - which I made when I didn’t understand the issue).

I have been convinced that it is benign enough that it’s not a problem - but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist or that it’s “just DI noise” (it’s not).

My post above about the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster is the explanation that has sounded best to me. Oil cavitation is another popular option.

Whatever it is - I wish it wasn’t there… but I’m just going drive it like it is and enjoy it.
This reminds me of when I had my 1999 Ford F-150 with the 4.6L Triton V8. All the forums going crazy about Piston Slap or something like that. I drove that truck for years, sold it and they drove it for more year with nothing but oil changes. This is overblown in my view.

CauliflowerPower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Since the majority of cars have the tick, I would be more concerned if it didn’t.

My 2012 ticked a little. My 2015 ticked ever so slightly. My 2018 ticks like crazy. Same exact sound with all three. If I buy another coyote I want the tick.
"If I buy another coyote I want the tick" - Legend
Sponsored