Sponsored

First Oil Change And The "Tick"

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Of course they aren't. They refused to recall the Pinto, for God's sake, because letting people die was cheaper than fixing the issue.
Actually, the Pinto was dead pan average quality for the market it was in. It was just called out as an example of how bad ALL cars were at that time even though they met ALL NHTSA safety tests for the year they were tested, and it's become a running joke to act as if the Pinto was some HORRIBLE design, really ALL the cars that competed with it were just as trash and likely to blow up.

By NHTSA numbers(deaths per million) the '75 Pinto was safer than the Corolla, Beetle, and Datsun 1200/210. The '76 was safer than the 510, 1200/210 and Beetle. Both years only the Vega(by 10/million better) and Gremlin(by 7/million) were better.

Also, something to consider, GM ran a tank design for like 14yrs that had 20x more deaths related than the Pinots. No one associates 70's and 80's GM trucks with explosions though. They also never recalled it.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You've got an opinion, and it changes absolutely nothing
That goes both ways. We both are arguing opinions, and there's nothing that says that your opinion is intrinsically better and more valid than mine.
My opinion is that a noise that no other engine is making, and that nobody is able to explain, is not normal.
Your opinion is that it's perfectly normal, and that anyone who doesn't agree with you is stupid.
You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. We can agree to disagree on this topic.

And if you don't like the sound your engine makes, please, please, pleeeease just sell your car, so I don't have to listen to the sounds you make crying and complaining about it.
You don't have to. You can ignore these threads, you know...

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
My car's engine has been ticking and rattling since I drove it off the lot. It worried me at first but now it will worry me if it stops. No oil consumption. Ceratec didn't change anything. Everything operates as advertised. One of these threads had a guy data log his drives and had proof the "2k rattle" was simply DI taking over. In any case, the best solution I've found to ticks and rattle is more throttle. That oh so sweet exhaust note drowns out any fears, worries, or cares about ticks and rattles.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That goes both ways. We both are arguing opinions, and there's nothing that says that your opinion is intrinsically better and more valid than mine....
No...no it does not go "both ways". It goes "Ford's way", they're the final arbiter of all of this. If Ford says it's normal, it's normal.

And until engines start failing in large percentage numbers, it's completely normal. And so far, in 3+ years, that absolutely hasn't happened.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Actually, the Pinto was dead pan average quality for the market it was in. It was just called out as an example of how bad ALL cars were at that time even though they met ALL NHTSA safety tests for the year they were tested, and it's become a running joke to act as if the Pinto was some HORRIBLE design, really ALL the cars that competed with it were just as trash and likely to blow up.
The Pinto was called out as an example not necessarily because it was technically worse or less safe than others, but because of Ford's shameless behaviour when confronted with the evidence. They deliberately let people die, for years and years, even though they did have a cheap solution at hand, which would have increased the price of the car just by a few cents. And they fought, and fought, for years and years. And it was a dirty fight; they abused every little loophole they could find. For eight years or so they fought like mad to save money at the expense of people's lives.
It isn't about the Pinto, it's about Ford.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The Pinto was called out as an example not necessarily because it was technically worse or less safe than others, but because of Ford's shameless behaviour when confronted with the evidence. They deliberately let people die, for years and years, even though they did have a cheap solution at hand, which would have increased the price of the car just by a few cents. And they fought, and fought, for years and years. And it was a dirty fight; they abused every little loophole they could find. For eight years or so they fought like mad to save money at the expense of people's lives.
Oh, so like GM? And every other company that does the cost vs payout from a suit calculation?

Welcome to capitalism.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The Pinto was called out as an example not necessarily because it was technically worse or less safe than others, but because of Ford's shameless behaviour when confronted with the evidence. They deliberately let people die, for years and years, even though they did have a cheap solution at hand, which would have increased the price of the car just be a few cents. And they fought, and fought, for years and years. And it was a dirty fight; they abused every little loophole they could find. For eight years or so they fought like mad to save a few cents at the expense of people's lives.
This sounds like any business I've ever heard of though. A few cents multiplied by how many thousands and thousands of vehicles is millions of dollars. Many businesses trade human life for money every day. Greed is a terrible thing.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Oh, so like GM? And every other company that does the cost vs payout from a suit calculation?
Yes, like GM and others.
You can't excuse a despicable behaviour just by pointing to others who do the same.

No...no it does not go "both ways". It goes "Ford's way", they're the final arbiter of all of this. If Ford says it's normal, it's normal.
In an ideal world, in which Ford were a completely trustworthy company, I would agree with you.
But Ford's utter inability to at least tell us what's causing this sound isn't exactly apt to inspire confidence. They're saying: "we're completely clueless, we have absolutely no idea what's causing it, but you can rest assured that it's perfectly normal, just trust us".
This is coming from the same company that said: "those aluminum steering rack bolts are perfectly safe, trust us" for years, despite reports of people having lost all steering while driving, only to issue a recall five years later.

If it's so normal, then why do we not know what's causing it? How can you, or Ford, or anybody, vouch for its normality if you have absolutely no clue as to where it's coming from? Do you consider it normal simply on the grounds that "engines make noises" - ergo, any noise is normal? Or do you consider it normal just because you trust Ford and take their word for it?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....In an ideal world, in which Ford were a completely trustworthy company, I would agree with you.
You have to separate morals, trust and business behavior from the question at hand.

These engines are not failing. That is all there is to it.

Whether or not the noise is annoying to you, means absolutely nothing. It's there, and it causes 0 issues. The engines run strong, hard and long, and that's all there is to it.

You can try and argue all you want, point out other situations in which (not just) Ford lied about engineering/design issues, but it means and does nothing.

The engines are fine. That they make a noise you don't like means nothing, as long as they work as they're intended, and meet the federal regulations.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
:cwl: :cwl:

Yes, because the engine makes "extremely annoying" noises, it's a "problem".

And FYI; your brakes make noises every time you touch the pedal. They squeal every time you use them. Grind too. You just don't hear it or notice it most of the time. But driving home today, focus on your brakes. Emotionally invest yourself in the noises your brakes make. Mount a GoPro and record the noises your brakes make.

Lie awake at night obsessing about your brake noises. Start thread after thread here complaining about the noises your brakes make. Tell everyone there's something wrong with Ford's brake engineering, and complain endlessly about it.

In 6 months all the nattering Nancy boys will have forgotten about the noises their engines make.

Good Christ. You wussies buy a DOCH, 4 valve per cylinder, continuously electronically variable intake and exhaust valve timing, multi-variable mapped (based on a multitude of variables) direct and port injected engine. One that makes 460HP from 307naturally aspirated cubic inches........and then you fucking complain that the engine makes noises.
The idea that because it makes 460HP we can't complain about things we don't like about the car is ridiculous. What does that have to do with anything?

And straight up: if I bought a brand-new car and the brakes were making noise I would _absolutely_ complain (both here and directly at the dealership until they fixed it). I don't understand what you're trying to prove here.

One thing I can say for sure: the car did _not_ make the sound when I was test driving it. Nor did it make it in the first thousand miles I drove it. I, therefore, consider it to be an annoying sound coming from the car that I didn't _pay for_. What I mean by that is that I didn't buy a car that sounded like that - but I have one anyway. That doesn't make me happy.

Like I said earlier: I'm learning to live with it because there is basically nothing I can do about it. So I'm going to put it out of my mind (as much as possible) and move on with my life. That doesn't mean that Ford shouldn't _do better_ though.

Sponsored

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Let me make something perfectly clear, because this all seems to be much too difficult for you to grasp;

YOU do not get to decide what is a normal sound or not. Just because you find a sound annoying, doesn't mean it's a "problem", or something that Ford has done incorrectly.
Absolutely I do. I bought something based on the way it was when I test-drove it. If it does not adhere to what it was like when I test-drove it for a reasonable amount of time then I want it to be fixed. That's what "bumper-to-bumper" warranties are for: the car should continue to operate for 3yrs/36k.

Now - if it made that sound when I test-drove it... then that would be _completely_ on me. I bought it that way: I can't complain about it now. But that's not what happened.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Absolutely I do. I bought something based on the way it was when I test-drove it. If it does not adhere to what it was like when I test-drove it for a reasonable amount of time then I want it to be fixed. That's what "bumper-to-bumper" warranties are for: the car should continue to operate for 3yrs/36k.

Now - if it made that sound when I test-drove it... then that would be _completely_ on me. I bought it that way: I can't complain about it now. But that's not what happened.
Is your car not operating? Does it burn lots of oil? Does it not meet all the Federal and State regulations?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Snippage...

Like I said earlier: I'm learning to live with it because there is basically nothing I can do about it. So I'm going to put it out of my mind (as much as possible) and move on with my life. That doesn't mean that Ford shouldn't _do better_ though.
Did you try Ceratec?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The idea that because it makes 460HP we can't complain about things we don't like about the car is ridiculous. What does that have to do with anything?
It's like I post in Greek, or Latin or something. Like what should be easily understandable points can't be grasped.

One thing I can say for sure: the car did _not_ make the sound when I was test driving it. Nor did it make it in the first thousand miles I drove it.....
Prove it.

Post up the dozens of videos you took when the car was brand new, and then current ones, showing the sound noise changes.
Sponsored