First Oil Change And The "Tick"

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The fact that it doesn't cause any long-term damage doesn't make it normal. It's definitely not normal. You may call it however you want, Ford may call it however they want, but normal it is not. It's just sloppy engineering.
People keep complaining about all sorts of squeaks and rattles, then spend countless hours trying to fix them, but when the engine makes a horrible, unnatural noise that would make anyone ask: "oh my God, is your engine broken?", they dismiss it as "normal". Really? How does that make any sense?
Its mere existence is a major problem in and of itself, regardless of whether it causes damage or not.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The fact that it doesn't cause any long-term damage doesn't make it normal. It's definitely not normal. You may call it however you want, Ford may call it however they want, but normal it is not. It's just sloppy engineering.
People keep complaining about all sorts of squeaks and rattles, then spend countless hours trying to fix them, but when the engine makes a horrible, unnatural noise that would make any normal person ask: "oh my God, is your engine broken?", they dismiss it as "normal". Really? How does that make any sense?
Its mere existence is a major problem in and of itself, regardless of whether it causes damage or not.
It's not like Ford is going to recall all those engines because they make an annoying noise. Until they blow up, what is there to do about it really? I agree that it's unfortunate but this is the price of the Gen3 upgrade. My car luckily doesn't do it, but it consumes oil between changes. There's no winning.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's not like Ford is going to recall all those engines because they make an annoying noise
Of course they aren't. They refused to recall the Pinto, for God's sake, because letting people die was cheaper than fixing the issue. And in more recent times, they took five years to recall the 2014-2015 Mondeo, which can lose the steering completely at any time, without prior warning. Even though they were aware of the problem (the Fusion had been already recalled in the States for exactly the same issue).
So no, I don't expect them to do anything about the noise.

I just take exception to people calling it "normal" and bashing those who are either worried about it, or actively trying to fix it one way or the other. Calling them stupid, paranoid, and all sorts of other names is exaggerated to say the least. The problem is real.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Of course they aren't. They refused to recall the Pinto, for God's sake, because letting people die was cheaper than fixing the issue. And in more recent times, they took five years to recall the 2014-2015 Mondeo, which can lose the steering completely at any time, without prior warning. Even though they were aware of the problem (the Fusion had been already recalled in the States for exactly the same issue).
So no, I don't expect them to do anything about the noise.

I just take exception to people calling it "normal" and bashing those who are either worried about it, or actively trying to fix it one way or the other. Calling them stupid, paranoid, and all sorts of other names is exaggerated to say the least. The problem is real.
I still think GM has the crown for the faulty ignition locks that would disable a car completely regardless of speed. Over 100 deaths from that one, and they were able to cover it up to where everyone has forgotten by now.

But yes, there's no reason to bash someone for trying to solve it. I could see that noise being annoying and embarrassing in a drive thru for example.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Going to have to disagree with you. I noticed the tick which is extremely obvious and very inconsistent aka not direct injectors. I heard it before I even knew about the “bbq tick” so there’s no paranoia. The tick is a real thing and people who say it’s just in your head are in denial. While there’s no proof yet that it causes any damage other than just being annoying sounding that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
Direct injectors and cam phasers are inconsistent. The sounds they make come and go, change. That's what they do. Engines make noises, that's what they do.

Unless your engine is drinking oil, or in some way acting abnormally, there is no issue, it's all in your head.

Describe the "sloppy engineering". Be technically specific. Provide, concrete, engineering proof of what in the GENIII Coyote engines is causing noises that are "not normal", and the result of "sloppy engineering".

....I just take exception to people calling it "normal" and bashing those who are either worried about it, or actively trying to fix it one way or the other. Calling them stupid, paranoid, and all sorts of other names is exaggerated to say the least. The problem is real.
It's been 3 years for the GENIII Coyote. 10+ years for the Coyote engine line as a whole. These engines have gone into a lot more vehicles than just Mustangs. In fact, Mustangs are a small percentage of Coyote engine usage.

We've also had 3+ years of paranoid, nattering Nancy boys complaining at each other, scaring each other into believing that something is wrong with their engines because "they make noises".

It's been 3 years. If there was a serious engineering issue causing GENIIIs to fail, we'd know by now.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's been 3 years. If there was a serious engineering issue causing GENIIIs to fail, we'd know by now.
Who said anything about failing?
That horrible noise is a problem in and of itself, irrespective of whether the engine will fail or not, simply because it's something extremely annoying, which you shouldn't reasonably expect from a new, modern engine. I would have a problem if my brakes squealed, even if they stopped the car just fine. Annoying, unnatural noises don't necessarily have to cause a mechanical failure to be considered problems. They are problems by their very nature.

Last edited:

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Direct injectors and cam phasers are inconsistent. The sounds they make come and go, change. That's what they do. Engines make noises, that's what they do.

Unless your engine is drinking oil, or in some way acting abnormally, there is no issue, it's all in your head.

Describe the "sloppy engineering". Be technically specific. Provide, concrete, engineering proof of what in the GENIII Coyote engines is causing noises that are "not normal", and the result of "sloppy engineering".

It's been 3 years for the GENIII Coyote. 10+ years for the Coyote engine line as a whole. These engines have gone into a lot more vehicles than just Mustangs. In fact, Mustangs are a small percentage of Coyote engine usage.

We've also had 3+ years of paranoid, nattering Nancy boys complaining at each other, scaring each other into believing that something is wrong with their engines because "they make noises".

It is 100% not direct injectors. I have multiple direct injectors vehicles and none of them make this noise. If it’s the direct injection why did adding a bottle of ceratec remove the sound completely?

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Who said anything about failing?
That horrible noise is a problem in and of itself, irrespective of whether the engine will fail or not, simply because it's something extremely annoying, which you shouldn't reasonably expect from a new, modern engine. I would have a problem if my brakes squealed, even if they stopped the car just fine. Annoying, unnatural noises don't necessarily have to cause a mechanical failure to be considered problems. They are problems by their very nature.
:cwl: :cwl:

Yes, because the engine makes "extremely annoying" noises, it's a "problem".

And FYI; your brakes make noises every time you touch the pedal. They squeal every time you use them. Grind too. You just don't hear it or notice it most of the time. But driving home today, focus on your brakes. Emotionally invest yourself in the noises your brakes make. Mount a GoPro and record the noises your brakes make.

Lie awake at night obsessing about your brake noises. Start thread after thread here complaining about the noises your brakes make. Tell everyone there's something wrong with Ford's brake engineering, and complain endlessly about it.

In 6 months all the nattering Nancy boys will have forgotten about the noises their engines make.

Good Christ. You wussies buy a DOCH, 4 valve per cylinder, continuously electronically variable intake and exhaust valve timing, multi-variable mapped (based on a multitude of variables) direct and port injected engine. One that makes 460HP from 307naturally aspirated cubic inches........and then you fucking complain that the engine makes noises.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, because the engine makes "extremely annoying" noises, it's a "problem".
Of course. Just like a piece of plastic rattling inside the dashboard would be a problem.
You may not care about that, good for you, but that doesn't mean that those who do are insane.

Lie awake at night obsessing about your brake noises. Start thread after thread here complaining about the noises your brakes make. Tell everyone there's something wrong with Ford's brake engineering, and complain endlessly about it.
That was just an example. My brakes don't make any unnatural noises, fortunately.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It is 100% not direct injectors. I have multiple direct injectors vehicles and none of them make this noise. If it’s the direct injection why did adding a bottle of ceratec remove the sound completely?
Is your engine using oil? Is it performing poorly?

Do you know what else is affected by oil and makes variable noises in the engine?

Last edited:

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Of course. Just like a piece of plastic rattling inside the dashboard would be a problem.
You may not care about that, good for you, but that doesn't mean that those who do are insane.
You are insane, when you're complaining about completely normal noises.

Do you complain about the noise the HVAC fan and shutter system makes? That's a "plastic rattling inside the dashboard", do you complain about it?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'm sure you know full well what I mean.
....That was just an example. My brakes don't make any unnatural noises, fortunately.
Let me make something perfectly clear, because this all seems to be much too difficult for you to grasp;

YOU do not get to decide what is a normal sound or not. Just because you find a sound annoying, doesn't mean it's a "problem", or something that Ford has done incorrectly.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
YOU do not get to decide what is a normal sound or not.
I do, if it's something that no other engine on the market is doing (unless it's defective), and that nobody in the world, not even Ford, is able to explain.

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I do, if it's something that no other engine on the market is doing (unless it's defective), and that nobody in the world, not even Ford, is able to explain it.
No son, you do not. Sorry, but no matter what you want to believe, reality just is. You've got an opinion, and it changes absolutely nothing. Those are normal sounds Coyotes make, and you need to deal with it.

And if you don't like the sound your engine makes, please, please, pleeeease just sell your car, so I don't have to listen to the sounds you make crying and complaining about it.
Sponsored