GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
With many people having the "tick" start after their first oil change, I am a bit anxious about having my oil changed. After 7 months and 2,300 miles of loving the car, should I be concerned about my first oil change? I realize Ford states it's normal behavior. Sorry to beat a dead horse over this, but it bothers me. Who does not have the dreaded tick in a 18+?
I have the tic, it's normal, don't worry about it. At least try not to, and trust me, I know this can be difficult. These engines make a ridiculous amount of noises. As NoVaGT says, it's not an issue unless you're burning serious oil. It doesn't take even too much volume on the radio to drown everything out, so I would suggest just listening to something on days where it bothers you.
Sponsored

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
2020 GT Premium PP! - I had zero weird noises and then changed my oil last weekend at 2300 miles. After getting home, immediately had the dreaded tick. Sounded like a monkey with a typewriter thoughtfully pecking away lol

I used Mobile 1 Full synthetic 5w20. I might try the Ceratec stuff people have mentioned on here and see if that makes it stop. Only seems to happen after getting up to operating temps though.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Almost no one. It's fear, paranoia, stupidity, and severe levels of OCD.

People don't pay any attention until reading about it on the internet, and suddenly it's a thing. And since they read it starts after the first oil change, they pay no attention to anything until after the first oil change.

Then their minds play tricks on them, and what was the same exact noises before the first oil change, are different and "the dreaded tick" afterwards. Because OCD.

The "tick" is just direct injection, cam phasers, etc. working. There will be no difference in the sound after your first oil change.

Engines make noises, it's normal.

If you are burning lots of oil, THEN you have a problem.
Sorry - but this is complete BS.

I was specifically looking for the sound before my first oil change… and never heard it.

The evening after my first oil change I was going through a drive-through and could hear it echoing off the wall. But - I tried to explain it away as “nothing” - and tried to tell myself that it wasn’t going to happen to me.

Two days later I was driving and I could not only hear it in the cabin (when sitting idle - which is the only time it makes the sound) - but I could also feel it in the stick shift. It was something I had definitely not ever felt in the car before.

It sounds like you don’t have it - great for you. But that doesn’t mean the rest of us are nuts.

Here is a video of mine showing what it sounds like (note: it only makes this sound after the engine is _hot_ and then sits at a low idle. It does NOT make this sound after startup at all). It is NOT AT ALL the cams or direct injection.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase

I was specifically looking for the sound before my first oil change… and never heard it.

The evening after my first oil change I was going through a drive-through and could hear it echoing off the wall. But - I tried to explain it away as “nothing” - and tried to tell myself that it wasn’t going to happen to me.

Two days later I was driving and I could not only hear it in the cabin (when sitting idle - which is the only time it makes the sound) - but I could also feel it in the stick shift. It was something I had definitely not ever felt in the car before.

It sounds like you don’t have it - great for you. But that doesn’t mean the rest of us are nuts.

Here is a video of mine showing what it sounds like (note: it only makes this sound after the engine is _hot_ and then sits at a low idle. It does NOT make this sound after startup at all). It is NOT AT ALL the cams or direct injection.

That is not the tick. You most certainly don’t feel the tick on the stick. I don’t know what that sound is, but it would certainly worry me.

Sponsored

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That is not the tick. You most certainly don’t feel the tick on the stick. I don’t know what that sound is, but it would certainly worry me.
It absolutely is though - I’ve compared my sound to several others in the tick thread. It’s the very same.

You can see my contribution to that thread and read replies here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/per-ford-officially-the-2011-2019-f150-mustang-5-0-“typewriter-tick”-is-a-normal-characteristic.116925/post-3176859

For instance: see this recent thread where his sound is nearly identical to mine. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tick-and-rpm-skipping-help.156529/

Also: I’ve got the “2k rattle” sound as well.

but - I’m learning to live with it all. It’s a mechanical car - it’s going to make mechanical noises. It also has a healthy warranty on it. I’m just going to drive it - and what happens, happens.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
BTW: I got a really good comment on one of my YouTube videos about the tick in my car. I’ll reproduce it here for all that are interested:

“””
The tick is not piston slap. The tick is oil pressure related, regardless of viscosity used. The best answer we have come up with after trying to diagnose everything from big end bearings bumping side to side, to DI noise, is that the tick is most likely from the "Hydraulic Lash Adjuster" on Piston #3. This particular spot is the most arduous path of oil flow to all the HLA's.

The problem is, when the oil is cold on startup, there isn't any noise, because cold oil pressure is close to 40psi. As the oil warms up, the hot idle oil pressure drops. As it goes below 30psi, you may start slowly hearing the ticking sound get louder and louder as it continues to drop to 12-15psi at idle while the oil bypass is open. This low pressure drops even further as it has to reach the HLA's. By the time it reaches #3 piston HLA, the pressure is just low enough to cause the Adjuster not to fully inflate, and become lazy. This causes it to have a tiny gap between it and the lifter. So, in a rather non-synchronous way, it will tick as that tiny gap opens just slightly with each cycle of the lifter.

As you increase engine RPM, the tick may become slightly more synchronous and noticeable until the engine RPM is high enough to make the oil pressure go above 30psi. Once RPM reaches close to 3,000RPM and the oil bypass then closes, this high pressure also fully inflates the HLA, and no more noise.

To stop the noise, I use Ceratec. Ceratec increases the lubricity of the oil to a point where tight fitting HLA's will inflate easier, and make the ticking go away. The amount of Ceratec needed to stop the ticking varies with each car, as those tiny gaps slightly differ from car to car. My car only requires about 100ml (1/3 bottle) to make the noise go away. When I give it a fresh oil change, I start the car and let it warm up to hot idle. I then slowly pour in Ceratec while at hot idle until the ticking stops (~100ml). That way I can use one bottle for 3 oil changes.
“””

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

If it actually had rod-knock/piston slap (serious internal damage), your engine would be drinking oil like a sailor pounding booze on shore-leave.

So.....does it?

Last edited:

Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
It absolutely is though - I’ve compared my sound to several others in the tick thread. It’s the very same.

You can see my contribution to that thread and read replies here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/per-ford-officially-the-2011-2019-f150-mustang-5-0-“typewriter-tick”-is-a-normal-characteristic.116925/post-3176859

For instance: see this recent thread where his sound is nearly identical to mine. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tick-and-rpm-skipping-help.156529/

Also: I’ve got the “2k rattle” sound as well.

but - I’m learning to live with it all. It’s a mechanical car - it’s going to make mechanical noises. It also has a healthy warranty on it. I’m just going to drive it - and what happens, happens.
Wow, I swear I don’t get that thunking noise... I guess it is what it is..!

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
It's the sudden 0 rpm silence that worries me.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If it actually had rod-knock/piston slap (serious internal damage), your engine would be drinking oil like a sailor pounding booze on shore-leave.

So.....does it?
I never said it was rod knock or piston slap (unless you’re referring to my video titles - which I made when I didn’t understand the issue).

I have been convinced that it is benign enough that it’s not a problem - but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist or that it’s “just DI noise” (it’s not).

My post above about the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster is the explanation that has sounded best to me. Oil cavitation is another popular option.

Whatever it is - I wish it wasn’t there… but I’m just going drive it like it is and enjoy it.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Almost no one. It's fear, paranoia, stupidity, and severe levels of OCD.

People don't pay any attention until reading about it on the internet, and suddenly it's a thing. And since they read it starts after the first oil change, they pay no attention to anything until after the first oil change.

Then their minds play tricks on them, and what was the same exact noises before the first oil change, are different and "the dreaded tick" afterwards. Because OCD.

The "tick" is just direct injection, cam phasers, etc. working. There will be no difference in the sound after your first oil change.

Engines make noises, it's normal.

If you are burning lots of oil, THEN you have a problem.
Going to have to disagree with you. I noticed the tick which is extremely obvious and very inconsistent aka not direct injectors. I heard it before I even knew about the “bbq tick” so there’s no paranoia. The tick is a real thing and people who say it’s just in your head are in denial. While there’s no proof yet that it causes any damage other than just being annoying sounding that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
Sponsored