Sponsored

First Oil Change After Winter Storage? Weight and Brand?

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue Mustang GT
I'll be pulling my 2018 out of winter storage about April 1ST. My Mustang has about 3k with the factory oil. Do you guy's think this is a good time to do the first oil change considering that the car has been stored since Nov?

Additional question....What weight and oil do you recommend? I'm paying specific attention to making sure I do this right as it seems the tick appears after the first oil change. Picked up a bottle of Ceratec to supplement the oil change.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
The manual suggest a 5W-20 oil for normal driving but if you push your car, any quality 5W-30 would do. I am going to change my car's oil this coming weekend to 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and use the Motorcarft FL500S filter. I have been using 5W-20 for the last 22,500 miles and it has been ok but I want to switch to 5W-30 and see how that goes as I do push my car often and 5W-20 breaks down faster as seen from the 2 oil analysis samples I have sent to Blackstone Labs. I also added 2 bottles of Ceratec at 17K miles (my last oil change) and it got rid of the typewriter tick. This next oil change I will not add anything other than the oil and see if the tick comes back.

I do not think its early to change your oil at 3K. Especially since it has been sitting over the winter, I would go ahead with a fresh oil change and run your car hard. These cars are meant to be driven so give it the beans after the oil change and enjoy it.

Good luck withe everything

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I rec Amsoil very highly. Been running it for 2000 miles now and it's amazing. The car just seems to run better on it and I honestly have no clue how but shifting the transmission from park to reverse is immensely better. Used to be a very violent affair but since I switched it's violent jerk is nearly gone. It's a pricy oil for sure but you get what you pay for. Noting else will go in my car from now on.

OP
OP
bluestar

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The manual suggest a 5W-20 oil for normal driving but if you push your car, any quality 5W-30 would do. I am going to change my car's oil this coming weekend to 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and use the Motorcarft FL500S filter. I have been using 5W-20 for the last 22,500 miles and it has been ok but I want to switch to 5W-30 and see how that goes as I do push my car often and 5W-20 breaks down faster as seen from the 2 oil analysis samples I have sent to Blackstone Labs. I also added 2 bottles of Ceratec at 17K miles (my last oil change) and it got rid of the typewriter tick. This next oil change I will not add anything other than the oil and see if the tick comes back.

I do not think its early to change your oil at 3K. Especially since it has been sitting over the winter, I would go ahead with a fresh oil change and run your car hard. These cars are meant to be driven so give it the beans after the oil change and enjoy it.

Good luck withe everything
Thanks for the input. I don't track the car but do enjoy some "spirited" driving. LOL! I think, at this point, I've pretty much decided to go with 5W-30. Based on a lot of what I've read on the forums it seems like 5W-20 may be a bit too thin for the Coyote motor. I also have a bottle of Ceratec that I'm going to incorporate at the time of the oil change. Seems like a lot of people are going with the Pennzoil Ultra platinum. I've used Mobil 1 for years but the PUP seems to be the wave of the future.

OP
OP
bluestar

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I rec Amsoil very highly. Been running it for 2000 miles now and it's amazing. The car just seems to run better on it and I honestly have no clue how but shifting the transmission from park to reverse is immensely better. Used to be a very violent affair but since I switched it's violent jerk is nearly gone. It's a pricy oil for sure but you get what you pay for. Noting else will go in my car from now on.
Always heard great things about Amsoil. Did you go with 5W-20 or 30?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Always heard great things about Amsoil. Did you go with 5W-20 or 30?
I have an ecoboost so I went with the factory specs. 5w30 signature series.
Sponsored