Sponsored

First M1 maintenance

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
Reached 3500 miles after 7 months ownership and decided that I’ll bring the car to the dealer this week for the first maintenance. Things to remember:
  • Walk the service guy around the car, with the phone video recording to show no dents or scratches anywhere, incl wheels
  • Ask for full synthetic oil 5W 30
  • Rotate the tires side-to-side only (staggered setup)
  • Ask to tighten the handbrake. Way too loose at moment.
  • Inform them that the car has a dashcam (no joy ride allowed)
And
  • No courtesy wash !
Anything else ? Aside from praying to not get the BBQ tick…
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
Reached 3500 miles after 7 months ownership and decided that I’ll bring the car to the dealer this week for the first maintenance. Things to remember:
  • Walk the service guy around the car, with the phone video recording to show no dents or scratches anywhere, incl wheels
  • Ask for full synthetic oil 5W 30
  • Rotate the tires side-to-side only (staggered setup)
  • Ask to tighten the handbrake. Way too loose at moment.
  • Inform them that the car has a dashcam (no joy ride allowed)
And
  • No courtesy wash !
Anything else ? Aside from praying to not get the BBQ tick…
You’re gonna be a big hit with your service writer.

I wish I could be there to see his face as you’re doing the video walk-around then sternly warn him about the no-joyride dash cam.

I‘m thinking maybe a time and date stamped video on your own just prior to drop off would protect you and the dash cam should speak for itself. And maybe “it’s my baby and I’d appreciate y’all taking care of her for me” would be enough.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
They're going to hate you, and they wont treat your car better.

Either you trust them or you do the work yourself. Once they have your car its in their hands, probably not best to come off accusatory towards them before they even start working on it. No matter what you tell them, they have the car, at the end of the day you can't make them do anything with just words. If you can't trust them, do it yourself or find a shop you trust.

Just take some pictures before you send it in, leave the dashcam on and ask to have the wheels rotated, handbrake adjusted and oil changed with full synthetic. Check the receipt when you're done, check the dashcam.

Assume ignorance before malice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RTFM

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turns out the dealership is taking still pictures of all cars upon reception, and then monitors all movements through numerous security cameras. I was very impressed and I did not have to mention anything.

Cool part is : during the picture shots, they found a one-inch scratch on the wheel rim and have already scheduled a wheel repair appointment for me in a couple of days. They took care of all the pre-approval calls, paperwork, estimates and pictures for my "ding and dent" insurance.

Nice.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You’re gonna be a big hit with your service writer.

I wish I could be there to see his face as you’re doing the video walk-around then sternly warn him about the no-joyride dash cam.

I‘m thinking maybe a time and date stamped video on your own just prior to drop off would protect you and the dash cam should speak for itself. And maybe “it’s my baby and I’d appreciate y’all taking care of her for me” would be enough.
At my dealership they walk around with an IPad videotaping each side of the car when they check it in at the service lane.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Im curious why you thought dealer maintenance was required at 3500 miles.

Reactions: luc
OP
OP
RTFM

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im curious why you thought dealer maintenance was required at 3500 miles.
Well, it is not that early. Some people on this forum do it at the first 1000 miles, and even send oil samples to specialized testing labs.

As for me, now was the right time, for the sum of all these smaller reasons:
  • it is the first oil change. I am not sending it to the labs, but I still would like to clear my mind about any metal particles floating around.
  • it has been a year since the car was built by Ford. And I like to change my oil every 12 months
  • I live in the South. The Mach1 supplement manual says hot climate requires oil change every 3000 miles. The summer is over, so now is a good time for my yearly oil change
  • engine oil consumption stabilizes around 3000 miles. Wanted to start fresh

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
  • I live in the South. The Mach1 supplement manual says hot climate requires oil change every 3000 miles. The summer is over, so now is a good time for my yearly oil change
You had plenty of other reasons but this one you need not follow for your next oil change interval. Plenty of people driving their mach 1s in much harsher conditions for longer than 3000 miles with no issue. More power to you if you want to, but it's just wasted time/money to keep a 3K interval after your first.

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Yearly interval is not mandatory in USA to keep warranty? It's required in EU for standard 5y warranty (or extended 7y).

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You had plenty of other reasons but this one you need not follow for your next oil change interval. Plenty of people driving their mach 1s in much harsher conditions for longer than 3000 miles with no issue. More power to you if you want to, but it's just wasted time/money to keep a 3K interval after your first.
I change mine yearly whether I drive the car or not regardless of mileage.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
My Ford dealer...I wouldn't drive within 50 miles of the place.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Well, it is not that early. Some people on this forum do it at the first 1000 miles, and even send oil samples to specialized testing labs.

As for me, now was the right time, for the sum of all these smaller reasons:
  • it is the first oil change. I am not sending it to the labs, but I still would like to clear my mind about any metal particles floating around.
  • it has been a year since the car was built by Ford. And I like to change my oil every 12 months
  • engine oil consumption stabilizes around 3000 miles. Wanted to start fresh
I live in Phoenix. We go 5k with full synthetic. Some go even longer. But a one year oil change is a good idea if not hitting the milage interval.

Does Ford stipulate an early first oil change on the Mustang or M1?

Last edited:

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
The dealer in my area have a statement about disconnecting any dash cams when booking in and I found my camera cable disconnected after a service.
Sponsored