Sponsored

First Look Inside Next-Gen GT350 Mustang (S550) Prototype!

Dyno

Of course not. Bad phrasing on my part I suppose. The question is whether it could indicate that Ford is sticking with one of the current 6spd manuals for 2015-16. I've heard it may be getting more gears for the next transmissions upgrade.
Sponsored

Dyno

That is some great work but the front and rear of the car look identical to the regular production cars. Team Mustang guys have gone on record saying the Hi-Po model was the most radical departure in style from the regular cars that they've ever done.
really when did they say that and where, might need to look at that and get some ideas.
I also have not read this anywhere. Can you point us to the quote?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Of course not. Bad phrasing on my part I suppose. The question is whether it could indicate that Ford is sticking with the current 6spd manual for 2015-16. I've heard it may be getting more gears for the next transmissions upgrade.
There are two current 6-speed manual transmissions with the S197, the Getrag and Tremec. I'm inclined to believe the Hi-Po model will get some sort of upgrade over the regular GT. What that is I don't know, but I don't think the 7-speed Tremec is the only way to go.

I also have not read this anywhere. Can you point us to the quote?

I can't remember if it was a conversation here, an interview, press release, or what. I'll look some more, but it was definitely posted here on M6G. I don't mean to spread any rumors or anything like that.

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
I know this is a bit off topic, but I think it would be really cool if the Halo car (GT350, or whatever else it is) incorporated a toggle switch to to start the car, just like they use in NASCAR, Fararri's, and many airplanes. Doyle Letson, Mustang's Chief Interior designer, wanted to incorporate an "aviation" theme to the cockpit and I think it would be really cool if it had one. Lift a red toggle to get to it, then lift up on the switch and start the car. I may either be on to something or on something...

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I know this is a bit off topic, but I think it would be really cool if the Halo car (GT350, or whatever else it is) incorporated a toggle switch to to start the car, just like they use in NASCAR, Fararri's, and many airplanes. Doyle Letson, Mustang's Chief Interior designer, wanted to incorporate an "aviation" theme to the cockpit and I think it would be really cool if it had one. Lift a red toggle to get to it, then lift up on the switch and start the car. I may either be on to something or on something...

I would rock that! I doubt it will come from Ford but maybe the aftermarket.

Dyno

There are two current 6-speed manual transmissions with the S197, the Getrag and Tremec. I'm inclined to believe the Hi-Po model will get some sort of upgrade over the regular GT. What that is I don't know, but I don't think the 7-speed Tremec is the only way to go.
Yes I'm aware that there are two. I edited it to reflect "manuals" as in all currently available 6 speed transmissions in the Mustang. While this looks like the Getrag and is an early prototype, I would imagine the GT350 would be the first out the gate with a new transmission IF it were being made available for 2016 Mustangs.

I can't remember if it was a conversation here, an interview, press release, or what. I'll look some more, but it was definitely posted here on M6G. I don't mean to spread any rumors or anything like that.
Please post if you find it. I would be surprised if someone at Ford commented on any specific design elements of a future vehicle.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Yes I'm aware that there are two. I edited it to reflect "manuals" as in all currently available 6 speed transmissions in the Mustang. While this looks like the Getrag and is an early prototype, I would imagine the GT350 would be the first out the gate with a new transmission IF it were being made available for 2016 Mustangs.

Please post if you find it. I would be surprised if someone at Ford commented on any specific design elements of a future vehicle.

Given the new voodoo engine I'd like to think the transmission is new as well. I'd love to see a modern version of the Getrag V-160 aka Supra transmission.

The fact that the Hi-Po model was more radical than the basic model was as specific as I could find.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
More rhymes with Four, so I'm going with 5.4. :p

Sponsored

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
I quite like them both, but one more than the other. :-)

Major changes to transmissions will not occur across all the vehicles for a few years.
or could he be saying 5.3/5.5 as in 1 more than what is listed? I have no clue and am bored at work, so livening up the conversation.

StangFX

That is some great work but the front and rear of the car look identical to the regular production cars. Team Mustang guys have gone on record saying the Hi-Po model was the most radical departure in style from the regular cars that they've ever done.
I remember the exact same thing but don't remember where I heard it either :-/

I think this is probably what you guys remember reading....

After talking with my "source", although I have no details at all, what was said was that nobody has gotten even close to what the new GT350 will look like - not even me - with photochops or concept renderings. The good thing I heard - and I believe this person has actually seen the car - is that the new GT350 is the furthest departure from the GT model than any other SVT has been from the GT version ever. Apparently it's really out there! Which is a good thing for the potential SVT Mustang buyer.
REALLY hope that's true. With the standard cars looking about as close as they ever have with little design separation, the SVT needs to really stand out IMO.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yep, having now finally seen S550 in the metal, I'm anxious to see the next models, especially GT350.

Just wish we knew when we'll see it :frusty:

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
I just want to know if the Voodoo motor will be larger than 5.0 and if I can grab a voodoo shortblock and use it with my Boss motor for now lol. That would hold me off for a little while.
Sponsored