First Long Road Trip was Great- 2018 GT

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I took my first very long road trip in my 2018 GT this past weekend. It’s a base model, 6 speed manual, 3.55 rear axle ratio. I drove from South Florida to Lexington, SC- a total of 1350 miles round trip, about 22 hours of driving. I drove a combination of back roads and the interstate, speeds ranging from 60-75 MPH for most of the trip. I used CC most of the time. My girlfriend and I were in the car and we had quite a bit of luggage, coolers, computers, etc. I folded one of the back seats down to fit all of the items. There was plenty of room in the car, we never once felt cramped.

First I will say that the front seats were super comfortable- we both agreed that these seats in the base car were perhaps the most comfortable that we ever sat in for such a long trip. Neither of us were fatigued at all for the entire trip. The visibility in the car was excellent- both during the day and night- it was especially good at night with the HID’s. It was so much better than the 2017 Camaro RS I had previously, which we also used on a couple of long trips- that we were both fatigued. The GT was also way more comfortable despite the RS seats being top of the line and leather. My seating position, elbow rest, foot position on the gas were also excellent. Usually my right foot will feel fatigue on a long trip like that, but not in the GT. The back area was easy for my girl friend to access from the front for the cooler with drinks and snacks.

The car drove absolutely great- the ride was smooth but firm enough for great handling with such a great road feel and it tracked laser straight. The car was very quiet- we were able to listen to music easily. In SC there were curves and rolling hills- the car was a blast to drive on them and row the gears. Where I live in FL the roads are mostly straight and flat and boring. The engine ran great and the shifting in the gearbox precise all of the time. Some cars I have owned the gear box felt mushy or different after a long trip when the fluid got really hot. The engine torque was excellent and acceleration effortless for merging and passing. Even in 6th gear at 1600 RPM the engine pulls effortlessly.

We were both so pleased with the car on this trip. The car is going to be a long term keeper for us and we can’t wait for the next trip in it. And oh- the gas mileage was phenomenal- it got 30.7- hand calculated and using 87 octane. What a great car is all I can say!
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Welcome to South Carolina! :beer:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I did NoVa to Houston, about 1400 miles each way, 2800 miles total, in a total of 4 days (2 days each way) and I share the same thoughts.

They're GTs, which means Grand Touring. Long distance drives are what these cars specialize in, it's what they're made for. Up until 2018, the exhaust was pretty quiet, there is essential 0 interior noise on smooth roads at 75MPH in my 2016.

And yes, the base seats are fantastic. Amazing. Extremely comfortable for long trips. The seating position and adjustability of the steering column really make it possible to find your sweet-spot.

OP, can you share a bit more on the stock 2018 exhaust while cruising at 70-80MPH? Could you hear it? Drone?

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I did Houston up around Lake Superior and back. Same thoughts about the car and comfort. Mine is a premium though, and I can say the cooled seats were nice.

OP
OP

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I did NoVa to Houston, about 1400 miles each way, 2800 miles total, in a total of 4 days (2 days each way) and I share the same thoughts.

They're GTs, which means Grand Touring. Long distance drives are what these cars specialize in, it's what they're made for. Up until 2018, the exhaust was pretty quiet, there is essential 0 interior noise on smooth roads at 75MPH in my 2016.

And yes, the base seats are fantastic. Amazing. Extremely comfortable for long trips. The seating position and adjustability of the steering column really make it possible to find your sweet-spot.

OP, can you share a bit more on the stock 2018 exhaust while cruising at 70-80MPH? Could you hear it? Drone?
Nope, no drone at all. The car was very quiet even at the upper speeds, barely heard the exhaust other than a nice, slight rumble. We listened to all kinds of songs on the USB for the entire drive.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the post! I'm currently debating St. Louis, MO to Lake Havasu, AZ (and back) in February. Drive the Mustang, the "kids and airport" car, or fly to PHX and rent something fun from Turo.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
These are great road cars. I've had a few 2,000+ mile road trips and a few 4,500+ mile road trips with several 1,000+ mile days on those trips.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang

They are very quiet on the highway.

I'll be driving mine from norfolk to seattle in july. Very excited.

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Mustangs are just great cars to drive/ride in. Great for trips too! Glad you are loving it! Love mine too!

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Thanks for the report. A lot of it sounds like my trip home from the dealer, except my trip home when I first picked up my V6 was only about 450 miles and mostly highway driving. I'm surprised you got a measured 30 MPH when EPA only estimates 24 highway. My mostly highway trip got, with a V6, got only about 29 MPG driving between 65 and 75 to break in the engine. I never really got more than that after the break in. I too was surprised at what a great road trip car it is, pretty quiet, stable, comfortable, and fast when you want it to be. The standard cloth seat fit me like a glove, held me tight without being uncomfortable and had good support.

Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I'll be doing a 3000 mile trip (1500 mile each way) this weekend from Michigan to Florida. I'm very excited, can't wait. I'm curious to see what mpg i'll be getting, the highest I got so far was around 24-25.

OP
OP

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The one and only area of concern is the car is down a half a quart of oil after the trip- I checked it yesterday. And just before the trip at 3K miles it was down a quart- I noticed before I changed it. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The one and only area of concern is the car is down a half a quart of oil after the trip- I checked it yesterday. And just before the trip at 3K miles it was down a quart- I noticed before I changed it. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.
Took a trip from Chicago to Los Angeles and I had to put oil in but I thought that was just normal with the amount of driving done? Never had to add after that.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The harder you are on them, the earlier, the less oil they burn.

Mine burned a bit early, but has stopped now.

LFSoccer2k6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Premium Jet Gray HP
Glad to hear it was very comfortable. Debating driving mine (when I get it next month) from St. Louis, MO. to Destin, FL. I have a 9 year old and 5 year old, so I am not sure how they would hold up in the back though. Even after only a few test drives of the Mustangs, I could tell the seats were amazing. I have a 2010 Fusion Sport now and wish I had the Mustang seats in them!
Sponsored