First Impressions: 2K miles and an oil change

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
So this afternoon I hit 2K miles with the new GT and I decided that it was time to do the Break in oil change.

Oil change notes and observations:

Without starting a debate about what oil to use, I dropped by my local Wally World and picked up two 5 quart pails of the Quaker State Ultimate durability 5w20 full synthetic.

Wally World also had the Ford Motorcraft filter for $6.

Bought both and did the oil change in my driveway using two ramps.

Draining was simple and straight forward.

I do admit that I had to look around for the filter. First thing that I noticed (that i found strange) is that the bolts are metric. Why did I assume that they would be standard? Maybe its a US car?

Regardless... 5 small bolts to remove the lower pan and the filter is on the drivers side towards the front of the engine.

Surprised that the factory filter was SO MUCH SMALLER than the replacement motorcraft. Almost a good 1/2 inch shorter.

The angle of the filter makes changing it messy as it leaks out and sprays all over the place. Maybe I've been used to German cars that make it a lot easier.

I buttoned it up and refilled with a touch over 8 quarts (my 2016 manual calls for 8 quarts 7.6L) of the Quaker State. A touch more than I had planned, but pouring out of the 5 quart jugs wasnt easy.

Now for my impressions of the car:

When I picked up the car, the first thing that I noticed ( a minor downer) was the the inside door panels on my base GT felt and looked cheap. The edge looks unfinished and "raw."

I am one of the people that has had the god awful "thudding" problem from the drivetrain, but I plan on taking it to my dealer and seeing about getting the driveshaft looked at and replaced. It does sound like there is slop in the joints of the two piece shaft.

Outside of this, I havent found anything that sticks out and supports all the complaints I read about bad panel fitment, poor quality, or lack of good workmanship.

The car is beautiful, quiet, rattle free, and hauls a$$ like a bat out of hell.

Everyone that has seen it or ridden in it says it looks great. Maybe its because ther are so many nice cars around, but this car gets more attention than the Porsche and BMW I had before it. I dont get it.

Performance wise. Wow. That is all that I can say. Acceleration and raw power is instantly on tap with this car. But I do pay for it in gas mileage. My worst tank was less than 10MPG.. closer to high 8's. Yup.. the big smile pedal does do its job; very well.

First gear could be a tiny bit taller, as I did hit the limiter once.. something I havent done in a car in a while. The redline just comes up so damn quick.

outside of 1st, the gearing is great, and the super tall 6th gear makes highway cruising real easy. On a longer trip I averaged almost 24MPG. Not bad for a 435HP v8.

At 75, in fifth (and even 6th gear) giving it some go juice brings you up to 110 way to damn quick. Something that happened in my carrera, just more controlled.

The sound this car makes really needs an improvement. Its too quiet. Solo Performance is what Im planning on doing really soon.

Now the worst part of this car.

The suspension. OMFG, can we talk about floaty and all over the place. the front end lifts up, it floats over bumps. I havent had a car this floaty since I owned an 80's buick skylark. No joke. The base GT suspension is so far off the mark for this car that its amazing ford even sells this car this way.

I couldnt imagine this car with the Lebanon Ford rouch package. 727 horses with this suspension would kill you immediately.

First mods are suspension. Ford Track struts and shocks with BMR handling springs. Bigger sways, and the upgraded odds and ends in the rear and front of the car.

With these major flaws, Im seeing this as an amazing platform to start with.

I dont regret the Base GT in any way.

Working my way to the Procharger. One mod at a time. Next short term plan is to replace all the ford fluids with higher quality choices. redline/amsoil in full synthetic for the tranny, rear diff.
Sponsored

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Very nice! And for the most part, spot on with most of my conclusions as well. I didn't think my suspension was very floaty. Did the performance pack come with a different suspension? Or am I just not really caring or noticing this floatiness? But otherwise, spot on for much of my impressions too. Though for me, it's 2nd gear that feels like the odd gear out instead of 1st on yours. Maybe it's the 3.73's. I could definitely go with a louder exhaust as well.

I'm sitting on 1800 miles so I'm not far behind you. I just got paid today, so I think this weekend I'll be doing my oil change. I meant to do it a little earlier, but shit happens I guess.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
People use a zipper bag to cover the filter when removing it really capture all the oil from the filter.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, same problems for me:

1. Panel fitment is complete crap for the most part, oh well.

2. when backing out of the drive or a parking space and then dropping it into gear there is that dreaded drive train thud or clunk, it's kind of embarrassing actually, once again oh well.

3. Suspension is a little floaty but after my springs, bushings and jounce bumpers it is much better.

But then of course, it gathers looks like a super model and then you when step on the gas or are whipping around a curve it just brings a big smile to your face.

Terry :ford:

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
My only real complaint is the suspension as I prefer quiet over loud. After I finally pick out some new wheels I'll work on the suspension.

Sponsored

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
But then of course, it gathers looks like a super model and then you when step on the gas or are whipping around a curve it just brings a big smile to your face.
My favorite is the freeway onramps that curve around in a nice tight little loop. Long as nobody else is getting on ahead of you too, I love getting on it in those spots.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My only real complaint is the suspension as I prefer quiet over loud. After I finally pick out some new wheels I'll work on the suspension.
any suspension work/mods you do aftermarket wise will make for additional nvh

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
I suggest getting a form a funnel if you plan to continue changing your own oil. I form it into a trough and had a mess free oil change last time. It is sad how the oil pours all over the electric steering rack, I found this out on my first oil change.

Your comments on the non-PP suspension are spot on in my opinion. I changed to BMR performance springs and IRS upgrades about 3 months in and made a drastic improvement in the handling.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Oil filter is easy to not make a mess. Just loosen it enough to drain, wait a minute then take a plastic grocery sack around it to unscrew it and catch all the mess. And yes mine had a tiny factory filter too. Another good reason to do first oil change much sooner than recommended...

Sponsored

1966 Sunbeam Tiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Aston Martin Vantage
Should have got the PP. I installed Steeda sport progressive springs and all of the nose movement is gone and the car is 1" lower all around. I have a complaint into Ford through my dealer about the slop in the rear end. Way too much end float, its not the DS.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Very nice! And for the most part, spot on with most of my conclusions as well. I didn't think my suspension was very floaty. Did the performance pack come with a different suspension? Or am I just not really caring or noticing this floatiness? But otherwise, spot on for much of my impressions too. Though for me, it's 2nd gear that feels like the odd gear out instead of 1st on yours. Maybe it's the 3.73's. I could definitely go with a louder exhaust as well.

I'm sitting on 1800 miles so I'm not far behind you. I just got paid today, so I think this weekend I'll be doing my oil change. I meant to do it a little earlier, but shit happens I guess.
Yes the PP has a modified suspension, big part of the package. Have not driven a non PP, but mine is very buttoned down and not floaty at any speed on the street. Some roads will produce the "PP bounce" though...

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
You wondered why the nuts/bolts are metric...Mustang is now sold world wide so evety bolt/nut is metric. Including the lug nuts.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
So this afternoon I hit 2K miles with the new GT and I decided that it was time to do the Break in oil change.

Oil change notes and observations:

Without starting a debate about what oil to use, I dropped by my local Wally World and picked up two 5 quart pails of the Quaker State Ultimate durability 5w20 full synthetic.

Wally World also had the Ford Motorcraft filter for $6.

Bought both and did the oil change in my driveway using two ramps.

Draining was simple and straight forward.

I do admit that I had to look around for the filter. First thing that I noticed (that i found strange) is that the bolts are metric. Why did I assume that they would be standard? Maybe its a US car?

Regardless... 5 small bolts to remove the lower pan and the filter is on the drivers side towards the front of the engine.

Surprised that the factory filter was SO MUCH SMALLER than the replacement motorcraft. Almost a good 1/2 inch shorter.

The angle of the filter makes changing it messy as it leaks out and sprays all over the place. Maybe I've been used to German cars that make it a lot easier.

I buttoned it up and refilled with a touch over 8 quarts (my 2016 manual calls for 8 quarts 7.6L) of the Quaker State. A touch more than I had planned, but pouring out of the 5 quart jugs wasnt easy.

Now for my impressions of the car:

When I picked up the car, the first thing that I noticed ( a minor downer) was the the inside door panels on my base GT felt and looked cheap. The edge looks unfinished and "raw."

I am one of the people that has had the god awful "thudding" problem from the drivetrain, but I plan on taking it to my dealer and seeing about getting the driveshaft looked at and replaced. It does sound like there is slop in the joints of the two piece shaft.

Outside of this, I havent found anything that sticks out and supports all the complaints I read about bad panel fitment, poor quality, or lack of good workmanship.

The car is beautiful, quiet, rattle free, and hauls a$$ like a bat out of hell.

Everyone that has seen it or ridden in it says it looks great. Maybe its because ther are so many nice cars around, but this car gets more attention than the Porsche and BMW I had before it. I dont get it.

Performance wise. Wow. That is all that I can say. Acceleration and raw power is instantly on tap with this car. But I do pay for it in gas mileage. My worst tank was less than 10MPG.. closer to high 8's. Yup.. the big smile pedal does do its job; very well.

First gear could be a tiny bit taller, as I did hit the limiter once.. something I havent done in a car in a while. The redline just comes up so damn quick.

outside of 1st, the gearing is great, and the super tall 6th gear makes highway cruising real easy. On a longer trip I averaged almost 24MPG. Not bad for a 435HP v8.

At 75, in fifth (and even 6th gear) giving it some go juice brings you up to 110 way to damn quick. Something that happened in my carrera, just more controlled.

The sound this car makes really needs an improvement. Its too quiet. Solo Performance is what Im planning on doing really soon.

Now the worst part of this car.

The suspension. OMFG, can we talk about floaty and all over the place. the front end lifts up, it floats over bumps. I havent had a car this floaty since I owned an 80's buick skylark. No joke. The base GT suspension is so far off the mark for this car that its amazing ford even sells this car this way.

I couldnt imagine this car with the Lebanon Ford rouch package. 727 horses with this suspension would kill you immediately.

First mods are suspension. Ford Track struts and shocks with BMR handling springs. Bigger sways, and the upgraded odds and ends in the rear and front of the car.

With these major flaws, Im seeing this as an amazing platform to start with.

I dont regret the Base GT in any way.

Working my way to the Procharger. One mod at a time. Next short term plan is to replace all the ford fluids with higher quality choices. redline/amsoil in full synthetic for the tranny, rear diff.

OP
OP
lucasszy

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT

The PP did come with far better suspension. The reason for getting the base was because I plan on going above and beyond the PP, and I didnt want any of the gizmos. I like to customize all my cars.
Sponsored