Sponsored

First GT500 Issue? Rocker Moldings Melting

93_SVT_3503

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2013 King Ranch Expedition, 1967 Ford Bronco half-cab, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1967 F250 Highboy
I don't think it's heat, but it's feasible it could be the air coming out of the fender well being redirected by the little winglet on the front. High speeds would be putting a lot of down force on those, especially since it looks worse towards the front. As large as the grille opening is, all that air has to escape as well.

AIR1.png
FULL AIR.png
aero.jpg
Sponsored

93_SVT_3503

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2013 King Ranch Expedition, 1967 Ford Bronco half-cab, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1967 F250 Highboy
The review that just came out a few days ago from Motorweek shows signs of the same issue.

DIFFUSER.png

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
That is not melting, this car would need to have a side exhaust to have side moldings melt or change color.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
agreed, not melting. But I wonder what the thermal stability of the plastic is vis-a-vis the chassis surface. And did it really start out flat or is the molding process allowing distortions?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That is not melting, this car would need to have a side exhaust to have side moldings melt or change color.
Maybe a combination of very hot plastic and journalists that might use that as a step.

I think this will be addressed in production models. Ford will either use a higher temperature plastic or in true Ford engineering spirit put a no step sticker on.

Sponsored

93_SVT_3503

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
Like I said in post #16, I think it's from the air from the side diffuser and the spacing of how it's fastened to the car.

Wilson & Co

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang-less
I'd bet on a shitty designed fastening system/ mounting flange on the part. Should be thicker plastic on that edfe

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
If this was caused by stepping on it, you wouldn't be seeing this anomaly uniformly across the whole rocker panel.

I stand by that this is caused by the GT500 generating 230 kilowatts of engine heat and 100 kilowatts of heat from the front brakes.

The lack of a fender vent, and the CFD showing flow routing through the rocker wicker is doing no favors to this issue.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
If people were stepping on it, it would have just broke off. Would stepping on it causing them to turn wavy, no. Intense heat coming out of the engine bay and front wheel wells that is likely heating up the plastic moldings causing them to deform, yes.

No. The heat doesn’t hit where the waves and separation exist.
Looks like a case of people stepping on it, causing the clips to extend and the plastic to deform according to the attachment placements due to excess weight places in the part.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I’m fairly sure even my grandma would know that’s not a step. Whether it’s caused by heat or whatever, who knows, but surely people aren’t actually putting their body weight on it.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
I’d say no. Doubt it’s a heat issue. You’d see the same issue on s550 and GT350s if it was. These cars don’t heat up anymore than those. Most probably from being kicked or pressed on when coming out of the car.
I'm not here to say heat is causing this. But this engine is producing 760hp, thats 44% more than the GT350. Yes, it is making more heat than the S550 and GT350.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
My take on this is...

The wheel well liners are likely made of the same plastic as the rocker pieces and one would think they would melt before the side skirt.

And, most widely-used polymers are capable of 200 degrees C and higher which is almost 400 degrees F.

I don't see enough thermal energy getting back that far so I believe whatever it is, it isn't heat-related.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
No. The heat doesn’t hit where the waves and separation exist.
Looks like a case of people stepping on it, causing the clips to extend and the plastic to deform according to the attachment placements due to excess weight places in the part.
If you step on the rocker panel it is going to deform where you stepped on it not uniformly across the whole rocker panel. The mounting clips are going to break before you even get close to putting your full weight on it.

If this was caused by careless people stepping on it, we would be seeing rental S550s with the same exact damage. I didn't observe a single instance of someone stepping on the rocker panel while at the GT500 Track Tour.
Sponsored