First DCT GT500 Mustang Caught on Video? Plus Hood Vents Up Close

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd expect 730-745 hp. The Roush is $17k over the cost of the GT you put it on if you get the 3-way coilovers and upgraded halfshafts. You're still missing all the powertrain cooling upgrades, braking upgrades, much wider wheels and tires and the OEM integration of all that.
Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I'd expect 730-745 hp. The Roush is $17k over the cost of the GT you put it on if you get the 3-way coilovers and upgraded halfshafts. You're still missing all the powertrain cooling upgrades, braking upgrades, much wider wheels and tires and the OEM integration of all that.

That’s a good point. Though I’m pretty sure they offer a brake upgrade and forged wheels. (Hoping for CF on the 500.) tires are consumables so to me it doesn’t matter. However, the OEM integration is pretty important I’ll give you that. I am just making the case that the Roush stage 2 is a pretty solid opton, and I’d like to see a bit more separation. I hope there is a concerted effort to cut Weight. Like Mach said that GVW should mean the DCT can handle like 725-750 torque.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
What if - instead of a tow hook location - it's there for cruise control assist or lane assist?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Just remember folks total horsepower doesn't mean much if it can't put the power down! Stop focusing on the number and more on what Ford is doing to allow you to use as much of it stock.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Just remember folks total horsepower doesn't mean much if it can't put the power down! Stop focusing on the number and more on what Ford is doing to allow you to use as much of it stock.
Well I agree and have mentioned before but we don’t know much beyond DCT.

Sponsored

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
The TR9007 has a torque rating of 900Nm (664lb-ft), so I'm pretty sure this GT500 won't have more than 664lb-ft.
Its amazing how many times you can tell people this isnt right. The torque ratings from transmission suppliers are based on a specific GVWR. In this case, 5291 lbs. That means in a 39XX-41XX lb vehicle, the transmission would have more torque capacity. So no, its not limited to 664 lb-ft in the GT500.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
2015 GT all over again.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
I honestly have no idea, but according to the website it says 5290lb http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-9007.DCT.pdf

I don't see low 700's as disappointing at all because even if you can get the RS2 for around 65k, the GT500 will be SO MUCH BETTER, and "special" car.

I'm bet there is an "easter egg" in the picture of the 12in display, but not in the way we thought.....

I'm pretty sure instead of telling us that it will have "772HP" it says that it will have "7speed" and "72X"HP. I added some things to the picture:
There is just no way Ford is putting an Aluminator based 5.2 engine in this car with a new supercharger to make 720 hp. Consider the Roush makes over 700 with a 5.0 Coyote and a 2.6SC with a Horribly restricted inlet design....They would almost have to put a buttplug in the headers to get to that low of a crank HP rating.....
This car will be "soft rated" at somewhere around 760-780HP but will easily be making 800-830 at the crank in reality.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There is just no way Ford is putting an Aluminator based 5.2 engine in this car with a new supercharger to make 720 hp. Consider the Roush makes over 700 with a 5.0 Coyote and a 2.6SC with a Horribly restricted inlet design....They would almost have to put a buttplug in the headers to get to that low of a crank HP rating.....
This car will be "soft rated" at somewhere around 760-780HP but will easily be making 800-830 at the crank in reality.
No, it won't. Also you're not considering the durability of everything else downstream. Ford has to provide a stupid fast, capable track-focused car with a warranty. The engine may be (and has been said as much) capable of well over 800 crank HP, but that doesn't mean that the transmission and rear axle would be to the stringent durability cycles they must meet. Anyone can make it work for a little while, so don't look at forum anecdotes of Whippled cars as counterpoints.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Ford has been putting dogshit drivetrain components in the Mustang for decades. Give us a beast motor and trans, we will take care of the rest...we're used to it.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
It’s nowhere near that simple. Are you familiar with the effect of compression ratio and engine speed to supercharged power output?

Long story short, this new 5.2 won’t have near the compression of the coyote, and in fact will rev 400 less rpm more than likely.

I’ll bet this 5.2 will barely reach 10:1 CR, 9.5:1 more likely. Also to note, this 5.2 will be port injected. Ford is leaving out almost all the new tech from the current coyote. Only the block (rumour) from the generation three coyote made it over.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Its amazing how many times you can tell people this isnt right. The torque ratings from transmission suppliers are based on a specific GVWR. In this case, 5291 lbs. That means in a 39XX-41XX lb vehicle, the transmission would have more torque capacity. So no, its not limited to 664 lb-ft in the GT500.
How does GVWR apply to transmission torque rating? Let's say MT82 is rated 380 lb ft at GVWR 9500 lbs. Can we flip this and say, 950 lb ft at 3800 lbs ?

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s nowhere near that simple. Are you familiar with the effect of compression ratio and engine speed to supercharged power output?

Long story short, this new 5.2 won’t have near the compression of the coyote, and in fact will rev 400 less rpm more than likely.

I’ll bet this 5.2 will barely reach 10:1 CR, 9.5:1 more likely. Also to note, this 5.2 will be port injected. Ford is leaving out almost all the new tech from the current coyote. Only the block (rumour) from the generation three coyote made it over.
Correct me if I'm wrong because I am by no means an expert on anything automotive, however I am under the assumption that the engine going into the car will be the 5.2 Aluminator which N/A is rated at 580HP? I'm certain you are correct that the CR will be dropped due to the SC, however that engine has better flowing (GT350) heads and cams, a little more displacement and the new SC that is going to feature an entirely different and much more efficient inlet and much larger intake which is one reason for the raised hood design....From what I've heard hood design on the 18 GT's caused the new 2.6TVS to use a much smaller intake than the 5.0 Coyote can handle that's why there was only a slight HP over 2015-2017 Coyote's with the old 2.3....In my eyes the slight displacement increase coupled with better flowing heads and a more efficient SC should increase HP to more than that of a SC current Coyote 5.0, but again I'm not claiming to be any sort of engine builder or expert.....Just a curious potential buyer.

To be honest I've been waiting on this car for so long I've probably become confused as to what it is and what it isn't getting :frusty:

Last edited:

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it won't. Also you're not considering the durability of everything else downstream. Ford has to provide a stupid fast, capable track-focused car with a warranty. The engine may be (and has been said as much) capable of well over 800 crank HP, but that doesn't mean that the transmission and rear axle would be to the stringent durability cycles they must meet. Anyone can make it work for a little while, so don't look at forum anecdotes of Whippled cars as counterpoints.
I could see downstream components being of concern for durability reasons(warranty). I wonder if the A10 is being considered for this car at all? To me the video didn't sound that much different than the A10 in my 18 GT and if it were an option I'd certainly be down with it as a price point option vs a DCT since I don't track my cars anyways although I'm certain they wouldn't do 3 tranny options.....
While the 720-730 number would be slightly disappointing after waiting 5 years, I would probably still buy it assuming a simple pulley swap, larger intake, tune and headers would get me 825-850 to the crank.

Last edited:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Correct me if I'm wrong because I am by no means an expert on anything automotive, however I am under the assumption that the engine going into the car will be the 5.2 Aluminator which N/A is rated at 580HP? I'm certain you are correct that the CR will be dropped due to the SC, however that engine has better flowing (GT350) heads and cams, a little more displacement and the new SC that is going to feature an entirely different and much more efficient inlet and much larger intake which is one reason for the raised hood design....From what I've heard hood design on the 18 GT's caused the new 2.6TVS to use a much smaller intake than the 5.0 Coyote can handle that's why there was only a slight HP over 2015-2017 Coyote's with the old 2.3....In my eyes the slight displacement increase coupled with better flowing heads and a more efficient SC should increase HP to more than that of a SC current Coyote 5.0, but again I'm not claiming to be any sort of engine builder or expert.....Just a curious potential buyer.

To be honest I've been waiting on this car for so long I've probably become confused as to what it is and what it isn't getting :frusty:
Unfortunately it won’t be the aluminator.

That 580hp level is on race fuel and long tube headers. It can’t make that power and meet emissions.

Also to address some other things you said, the heads will be carryover (some slight changes perhaps), the cams will not be the same (8200redline is gone for the predator engine, likely 7000), and the block is from the generation three coyote just released. Aluminator is based on gen two architecture.

Compression will be 2.5 points lower than voodoo, aluminator AND the new gen three coyote. Forced induction cares less for restrictive flow path and more on heat from work (compression).

I’m with you, I’d love 800-830hp from this mill, but 720 is reasonable. 750 is sort of where I’m guessing right now.

I have no insider info, I just collect all data, sift the bull, use my own experience and deduct probable outcomes. Nothing fancy :eek:
Sponsored