Firestone Firehawk Indy500 tires are much better than I expected

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
No. You can comfortably put a 295 on a 10.5" wheel. (305 is doable as well, Ford uses a 10.5"front wheel for the track package cars).
Yes. My street wheels are 20"
Yes, the M1 HP wheels are the same with 305 up front. It looks like I will stick with the PS4's for my cup 2 replacements. Thanks again.
Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Have you driven them in the rain, or cold weather? Thoughts?
I don't track my car, but I've had the Indy500's just over a year and I love them. My only complaint is there is a noticeable decline in ride quality below 60*, however that improves after a few miles of driving to warm the tires up.

OP
OP
pozi240

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 700A HP 6M FJG, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
was your instructor's name Louis by any chance? 😄. I was doing HPDE as well, in fact driving in novice group and first time on track type of experience.
No, it was Mike K. Older gentleman with the BMW Motorsports club.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I don't track my car, but I've had the Indy500's just over a year and I love them. My only complaint is there is a noticeable decline in ride quality below 60*, however that improves after a few miles of driving to warm the tires up.
Too bad the rep took such a hit when the Explorers had issues with the Firestone tires. Ford historically had a close relationship with Firestone and that must have hurt both.
Glad to see they came back and made a nice tire for enthusiasts at an affordable price that doesn’t suck, looks great and doesn’t have some odd name that doesn’t belong on a Mustang. I believe it’s Bridgestone owned now, but that’s a company that has the resources to make a great tire.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
I havent done any track events yet in my car but my last car i ran those tires on it (2017 392 charger) i was really happy with the traction they offered. and i take turns and on ramps pretty fast. I have ps4s on my mustang now however im thinking about going back to the indy 500's because of how cheap they are compared to other brands.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
no complaints with my Indy 500s.
Dry traction excellent.
Wet traction excellent.
Wear excellent.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Love my Indy 500's. There are better tires if you want to spend more, but as an overall tire for the street and some light competition (I use mine in autoX), they're hard to complain about.

I will say though that once you become a faster driver on track they will become rather greasy after a few hot laps. Luckily they're progressive and rather easy to read.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I've heard good things about the Indy 500's. If they came in more sizes I might have considered them for my street/backup track tires. However, you can get the "right" sizes in Rival S 1.5 in a similar price point (around $360 for 305/30-19). Some have placed the Rival's up close to RE71's for track use. Definitely in the same league as the current leaders of 200TW tires since RE71's aren't available any longer.

For those considering square setups, the Apex 18's will fit over the PP brakes (call them to verify your setup). Many have bought the 18's for track use. Just like with a square 19" setup you need extended studs and spacers (with the right offset wheels).

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Too bad the rep took such a hit when the Explorers had issues with the Firestone tires. Ford historically had a close relationship with Firestone and that must have hurt both.
Glad to see they came back and made a nice tire for enthusiasts at an affordable price that doesn’t suck, looks great and doesn’t have some odd name that doesn’t belong on a Mustang. I believe it’s Bridgestone owned now, but that’s a company that has the resources to make a great tire.
Actually, it was both companies that contributed to the problem. There was 1 Firestone plant that made the Wilderness A/T differently than the other plants (it was found that it was primarily tires from that plant that failed). However, the other issue was Ford's spec of 26 psi air pressure with a tire that was Temperature C rated (worst resistance against heat). Interestingly, the same model year Chevy S10 Blazers used the exact same tires (size and model) and had absolutely ZERO problems with blow-outs or rollovers. The key difference is that the Blazers had air pressure specs of 35 psi. Both SUVs are close in weight and size so clearly the 9 psi difference generated substantially more heat in the tire carcass in the Explorers that contributed to the tire failing. Ford could've avoided the problem by doing one of 2 things; either inflating the tires to 35 psi as it should have been, or selecting a tire that was Temperature rated A or B rather than C. From what I've read, the reason Ford went with 26 psi was because during track testing, they found that at 35 psi there was a greater tendency for the Explorer to want to roll over on turns and deflating the tires to 26 psi greatly reduced that tendency. Interestingly, the later model Explorers became wider and shorter in height to the top of the roof from the ground.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I'm very happy with them as well. I do find them a bit noisy on certain road surfaces, but for the price the performance is excellent. They do start to slow down after 2 or 3 hot laps, but you can still hold a decent pace. I'd buy them again!

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Anyone that's run these had the continental extremes? How was dry traction between the two?

Almost through a set of these. Would buy again but traction is an issue with a low boost setup.

Have enjoyed the steering response with these though. Way more grip than should be pushed on any street turns. I'll also add they are not the quietest on some road surfaces as they age.

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
I had a set of these on my supercharged Marauder and they endured a significant amount of abuse without complaint.

It's a shame they don't offer them in more sizes.

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
I loved these tires on my 2014 GT. Compared to what the other summer tires cost, these were a pleasant surprise. They did run a bit narrower than the Michelins and MIckey Thompsons I had. Like the previous poster said, I wish they came in more sizes.

Evenmetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I know a few on the board have reviewed and mentioned the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires, and they are relatively cheap, so, not a lot of track feedback. (understandable). But, I found myself in a "pinch" recently (couldn't get my preferred tires in time for an HPDE day), but, my tire shop recommended I try these Firehawk's as they were readily available in my sizes and promised me they would suit me well at the track.
Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by how well they held up. We did a full HPDE track day (7 x 30min sessions) at CMP in Calabogie, ON (Ottawa area) recently. The track was warm (Air temp was 28C - or 82 degrees F) and I was running 34psi hot (measured as soon as we got off track) at all four corners. I was in the faster run group (years of previous track experience), but even my coach (I'm working at getting signed off for racing) commented how "quiet" and predictable the tire feedback was throughout the day. By the final sessions, we were really pushing my car "hard" (approaching race pace in many corners) and the tires were still not past their limit. This is very impressive for a street prepped heavy car (my car is a fully loaded 401A PP manual car) on a 300TW rated tire. My setup for this event (on my street wheels) was 275/35 front and 305/35 rears. (I have Apex EC-7 wheels, square set up on order for track duty - I will run 285/35/19 all around).
Anyway, the results have me re-thinking spending more on 200TW (or less) tires in the future. I've attached pictures to show just how well the tires held up. This was at the end of the day..... still look very decent after what we put them through (tires were brand new prior to track day). Would recommend to anyone just looking for a great (and cheap) high performance street tire with occasional track days.

tire.jpg

tire2.jpg

tire3.jpg
I've had 4 different mustangs and used them on my previous 3. They are a great performing tire for the price.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Actually, it was both companies that contributed to the problem. There was 1 Firestone plant that made the Wilderness A/T differently than the other plants (it was found that it was primarily tires from that plant that failed). However, the other issue was Ford's spec of 26 psi air pressure with a tire that was Temperature C rated (worst resistance against heat). Interestingly, the same model year Chevy S10 Blazers used the exact same tires (size and model) and had absolutely ZERO problems with blow-outs or rollovers. The key difference is that the Blazers had air pressure specs of 35 psi. Both SUVs are close in weight and size so clearly the 9 psi difference generated substantially more heat in the tire carcass in the Explorers that contributed to the tire failing. Ford could've avoided the problem by doing one of 2 things; either inflating the tires to 35 psi as it should have been, or selecting a tire that was Temperature rated A or B rather than C. From what I've read, the reason Ford went with 26 psi was because during track testing, they found that at 35 psi there was a greater tendency for the Explorer to want to roll over on turns and deflating the tires to 26 psi greatly reduced that tendency. Interestingly, the later model Explorers became wider and shorter in height to the top of the roof from the ground.
I have nothing to back this up so it could be purely rumor but I thought Ford reduced the tire pressure on the rears to eliminate a vibration on the rear axel that showed up late in development. Things tested fine at the specified pressure but customers being customers they would ignore the tires for most of their life and let them get down to a pressure that was too low to not overheat. When regular people ignore a 35 psi tire it only goes down to 26-28 psi so it isn't that bad. Ignore a tire that starts at 26 psi and it gets dicey.
Sponsored