Firestone Firehawk Indy500 tires are much better than I expected

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 700A HP 6M FJG, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
I know a few on the board have reviewed and mentioned the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires, and they are relatively cheap, so, not a lot of track feedback. (understandable). But, I found myself in a "pinch" recently (couldn't get my preferred tires in time for an HPDE day), but, my tire shop recommended I try these Firehawk's as they were readily available in my sizes and promised me they would suit me well at the track.
Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by how well they held up. We did a full HPDE track day (7 x 30min sessions) at CMP in Calabogie, ON (Ottawa area) recently. The track was warm (Air temp was 28C - or 82 degrees F) and I was running 34psi hot (measured as soon as we got off track) at all four corners. I was in the faster run group (years of previous track experience), but even my coach (I'm working at getting signed off for racing) commented how "quiet" and predictable the tire feedback was throughout the day. By the final sessions, we were really pushing my car "hard" (approaching race pace in many corners) and the tires were still not past their limit. This is very impressive for a street prepped heavy car (my car is a fully loaded 401A PP manual car) on a 300TW rated tire. My setup for this event (on my street wheels) was 275/35 front and 305/35 rears. (I have Apex EC-7 wheels, square set up on order for track duty - I will run 285/35/19 all around).
Anyway, the results have me re-thinking spending more on 200TW (or less) tires in the future. I've attached pictures to show just how well the tires held up. This was at the end of the day..... still look very decent after what we put them through (tires were brand new prior to track day). Would recommend to anyone just looking for a great (and cheap) high performance street tire with occasional track days.

tire.jpg

tire2.jpg

tire3.jpg
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Bargain and great looks too. :thumbsup:

VisceralSyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I grabbed a staggered set of these last year. Have done a few track day events at my local track. They've impressed me enough to get another set later this year !

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I know a few on the board have reviewed and mentioned the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires, and they are relatively cheap, so, not a lot of track feedback. (understandable). But, I found myself in a "pinch" recently (couldn't get my preferred tires in time for an HPDE day), but, my tire shop recommended I try these Firehawk's as they were readily available in my sizes and promised me they would suit me well at the track.
Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by how well they held up. We did a full HPDE track day (7 x 30min sessions) at CMP in Calabogie, ON (Ottawa area) recently. The track was warm (Air temp was 28C - or 82 degrees F) and I was running 34psi hot (measured as soon as we got off track) at all four corners. I was in the faster run group (years of previous track experience), but even my coach (I'm working at getting signed off for racing) commented how "quiet" and predictable the tire feedback was throughout the day. By the final sessions, we were really pushing my car "hard" (approaching race pace in many corners) and the tires were still not past their limit. This is very impressive for a street prepped heavy car (my car is a fully loaded 401A PP manual car) on a 300TW rated tire. My setup for this event (on my street wheels) was 275/35 front and 305/35 rears. (I have Apex EC-7 wheels, square set up on order for track duty - I will run 285/35/19 all around).
Anyway, the results have me re-thinking spending more on 200TW (or less) tires in the future. I've attached pictures to show just how well the tires held up. This was at the end of the day..... still look very decent after what we put them through (tires were brand new prior to track day). Would recommend to anyone just looking for a great (and cheap) high performance street tire with occasional track days.

tire.jpg

tire2.jpg

tire3.jpg
one thing I would add to this review is that Calabogie is the king of tire destruction :devil:. 20 turns over 5km track is not a joke, and surface seems to be very abrasive. it completely annihilated my new set of stock PP1 Pirelli's within 2 days. Since then I purchased a set of Indy 500 and did two weekends at Mosport plus bunch of skidpad exercises. While Mosport is not even close to Calabogie on tire wear, I was very impressed with these tires for the price. did I mention that they are awesome for daily driving as well? 😄 @IPOGT, how did they hold on Calabogie as far as overheating and losing grip? Pirellis were basically done and getting super greasy within first 10min of every session, I was able to move the point by a few min by managing the pressures, but it was still meh.

In my experience so far, while Indys may not be the stickiest or fastest, they wear great and demonstrate very progressive characteristics. I have just gotten a square set of RS-4 in 305-30 profile, very excited to try them out next.

OP
OP
pozi240

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
one thing I would add to this review is that Calabogie is the king of tire destruction :devil:. 20 turns over 5km track is not a joke, and surface seems to be very abrasive. it completely annihilated my new set of stock PP1 Pirelli's within 2 days. Since then I purchased a set of Indy 500 and did two weekends at Mosport plus bunch of skidpad exercises. While Mosport is not even close to Calabogie on tire wear, I was very impressed with these tires for the price. did I mention that they are awesome for daily driving as well? 😄 @IPOGT, how did they hold on Calabogie as far as overheating and losing grip? Pirellis were basically done and getting super greasy within first 10min of every session, I was able to move the point by a few min by managing the pressures, but it was still meh.

In my experience so far, while Indys may not be the stickiest or fastest, they wear great and demonstrate very progressive characteristics. I have just gotten a square set of RS-4 in 305-30 profile, very excited to try them out next.
Yes. Great observation. Tis true. Calabogie really does "scrub" tires very quickly. I didn't notice them getting greasy at all, but, it was just an HPDE. Of note, my coach (who is a very experienced racer and races an M3) did take my car for one session and pushed harder than me and was impressed with the tires.
The race school at CMP actually uses the Indy500 as their "back up" tire. (RS-4 and 888R being the primary tires). Thanks

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I grabbed a staggered set of these last year. Have done a few track day events at my local track. They've impressed me enough to get another set later this year !
Have you driven them in the rain, or cold weather? Thoughts?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Have you driven them in the rain, or cold weather? Thoughts?
I have driven them to the track at around 35-37F ambient on public roads, and driving around track at 45-50F ambient. had zero issues. Also driven on them multiple times in the rain on normal roads and had 3 rain sessions on the track. zero issues as well. of course, extra caution is necessary. they appreciate a bit of heat put into them before you start pushing.

my car is supercharged. 🤪

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Yes. Great observation. Tis true. Calabogie really does "scrub" tires very quickly. I didn't notice them getting greasy at all, but, it was just an HPDE. Of note, my coach (who is a very experienced racer and races an M3) did take my car for one session and pushed harder than me and was impressed with the tires.
The race school at CMP actually uses the Indy500 as their "back up" tire. (RS-4 and 888R being the primary tires). Thanks
was your instructor's name Louis by any chance? 😄. I was doing HPDE as well, in fact driving in novice group and first time on track type of experience.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Are you saying you bought Firehawks in 305/35/19? I didn't think they made this tire in that size. I ran into a similar situation needing new fronts and couldn't get the Nitto I usually buy. I got the Firehawk in 285/35/19 and they have been great. When my rears need replacing I'll look at these again if they do in fact make 305/35/19??

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the answers guys, Im looking at an alternative for PS4, on my M1 HP, after I get rid of the cup 2's. I will bust my cherry with running a road coarse at the track attack, along with beginner sessions at VIR.

As many have stated, if I really like it, and get serious, I will get a square set for the track.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Are you saying you bought Firehawks in 305/35/19? I didn't think they made this tire in that size. I ran into a similar situation needing new fronts and couldn't get the Nitto I usually buy. I got the Firehawk in 285/35/19 and they have been great. When my rears need replacing I'll look at these again if they do in fact make 305/35/19??
OP likely has 20 inch wheels. Indys are not available in 305 size for 19 inch rims to the best of my knowledge.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
OP likely has 20 inch wheels. Indys are not available in 305 size for 19 inch rims to the best of my knowledge.
You are correct, Im on the site now.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Would a 285/30, be too much of a stretch, with a 10.5" wheel?

OP
OP
pozi240

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Would a 285/30, be too much of a stretch, with a 10.5" wheel?
No. You can comfortably put a 295 on a 10.5" wheel. (305 is doable as well, Ford uses a 10.5"front wheel for the track package cars).
Yes. My street wheels are 20"
Sponsored