Sponsored

Finally Heard Ecoboost Active Exhaust and Saw Velocity Blue Today!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So you’ve heard the 2019 Ecoboost with active exhaust in person, and it doesn’t sound any better than any catback you’ve heard?
It sounds just like many of the aftermarket options available on the 15-17 ecoboost. In fact, each mode sounds like a different one. No significant engine changes were made for 18/19 that affect the sound, so the catback, and more specifically the mufflers are the only acoustic change. It's cool that the modes are available, it just doesn't sound good to my ears in any mode. There are many other 4 cylinders that sound much better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
docprego

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Magnetic/Ebony
How much $ for that velocity blue ?
It's a no charge color.

Technically Need For Green is too but since they force you to take the stripe for $475 it's really not.

OP
OP
docprego

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds just like many of the aftermarket options available on the 15-17 ecoboost. In fact, each mode sounds like a different one. No significant engine changes were made for 18/19 that affect the sound, so the catback, and more specifically the mufflers are the only acoustic change. It's cool that the modes are available, it just doesn't sound good to my ears in any mode. There are many other 4 cylinders that sound much better.
To each their own, I was surprised at how good it was. Maybe it's because I own a '16 with the silent exhaust option.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
So just to clarify, did you say that you have, or have not heard the active exhaust in person?

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I liked the quiet mode! The video sounded kinda like an old cub farm tractor (where we you sit on the right side) with a turbo and no muffler.

Sponsored

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
When I test drove a 16 EB before buying my 16 V6, my disappointment sound-wise was that I'd hoped to hear a lot of turbo sound. Years ago, my brother in law had a Neon SRT4 Stage II, and under acceleration it was fairly loud combination of husky 4 and a lot of turbo, with pop-off whistle. Sounded good enough to want to get on it just for that. I'd hoped the EB would sound that way. The V-6 I drove after (and bought) sounded really good and actually felt as powerful and quick as the EB. Of course, having the 051a helped with appearance, 18s and premium drivers' seat helped experience, and 3.55 gears made it quick off the line. To be fair, there is only 10? hp difference, and low gearing equalized the torque feel.

I saw (heard) a Ford ad about the new EB exhaust, and it sounded pretty good. The OPs video (thanks for sharing that :thumbsup:) definitely has some nice turbo sound. IMHO it has improved a lot, and to truly assess it would have to be heard in person from outside and more importantly from behind the wheel. Of course it sounds different from a Coyote or Voodoo, and I've heard aftermarket exhausts that make even V-8s sound blatty.

Thanks for sharing that and the new color!

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
When I test drove a 16 EB before buying my 16 V6, my disappointment sound-wise was that I'd hoped to hear a lot of turbo sound. Years ago, my brother in law had a Neon SRT4 Stage II, and under acceleration it was fairly loud combination of husky 4 and a lot of turbo, with pop-off whistle. Sounded good enough to want to get on it just for that. I'd hoped the EB would sound that way. The V-6 I drove after (and bought) sounded really good and actually felt as powerful and quick as the EB. Of course, having the 051a helped with appearance, 18s and premium drivers' seat helped experience, and 3.55 gears made it quick off the line. To be fair, there is only 10? hp difference, and low gearing equalized the torque feel.

I saw (heard) a Ford ad about the new EB exhaust, and it sounded pretty good. The OPs video (thanks for sharing that :thumbsup:) definitely has some nice turbo sound. IMHO it has improved a lot, and to truly assess it would have to be heard in person from outside and more importantly from behind the wheel. Of course it sounds different from a Coyote or Voodoo, and I've heard aftermarket exhausts that make even V-8s sound blatty.

Thanks for sharing that and the new color!
More turbo noise can easily be obtained by replacing the waste gate for the turbo. Easy fix if that's what you are after.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe because I race superbikes...I think some Ecoboosts sound great!

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Maybe because I race superbikes...I think some Ecoboosts sound great!
It's odd I know, but once my brother put the Flowmaster Outlaw catback on his EB, it kinda did have that sound. Obviously it did not have that speed, but the sound. :crackup:

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
More turbo noise can easily be obtained by replacing the waste gate for the turbo. Easy fix if that's what you are after.
Oh, yes, of course, It's true that you can do a lot aftermarket. Dealer installed (with warranty) performance packs are nice options as well. The Stage II I mentioned was that. I was thinking more about how Ford sends them to the dealer and we test them. It just seemed odd that the Coyote and Cyclone sounded good right out of the box, and the EB didn't so much. Letting the turbo sound off seemed an easy fix. Personally, the sound wasn't a major issue for me, just a something that I noticed. I actually thought the EB ok. Rather, I found I could have as much car as an EB and liked it as is with no need to immediately go aftermarket. In all honesty, I'd a nightmare time many years with a 84 Ford EXP Turbo (but that's another story) and wasn't sure I was ready to risk another turbo. No matter what S550 we chose, we have some pretty unique and fun cars :like:

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
IMO best sounding exhaust for the 4 banger I have heard compared to any aftermarket one.

Quiet mode a huge plus as well. I have the active on an '18 and switching on the fly is god-sent

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
If you want to hear your turbo, try an aftermarket CAI. Mine sounds a lot better with a Cobb intake.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I've been eager to see Velocity Blue and hear the Ecoboost active exhaust. Today I was finally able to accomplish both. I went to see my Mustang salesman and ended up being shown a Velocity Blue Ecoboost. When we walked up to the car the salesman remote started it to demonstrate that feature. Immediately upon firing up I could tell that this was not the standard Ecoboost exhaust. By sheer luck it had the active exhaust which I have really been wanting to hear. I have to say it sounds great. Is it V8 levels of exhaust note? Of course not but it has its own unique sound that I enjoyed greatly. Attached is a short video I filmed. The difference between normal and sport is not very obvious in this clip but in person it was, however track sounds really aggressive and awesome IMO. At the end of the clip the salesman samples quiet mode and believe me you'll have to rewind several times to catch it, it's actually that quiet.

Overall I left very impressed by the exhaust and completely blown away by Velocity Blue which was gorgeous.

Attached are 2 photos of the car, the first is how my iPhone X rendered the blue which was far darker than it actually appears. So for the second photo I biased the exposure using the iPhone X until it looked much closer to the way the color actually appeared to my eye in person.

IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg
Thanks for posting. But that 4 cylinder exhaust sounds really lame. I'm sorry but that is my opinion. A wet F**t comes to mind. Save your $900.00 option and use the money elsewhere.

OP
OP
docprego

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting. But that 4 cylinder exhaust sounds really lame. I'm sorry but that is my opinion. A wet F**t comes to mind. Save your $900.00 option and use the money elsewhere.
I appreciate everyones perspective. For me it was terrific in person, maybe the video doesn't quite convey that or perhaps I have different expectations. Regardless I see it as a huge $900 convenience to take delivery of the car with an exhaust that is leaps and bounds superior to my current Ecoboost and also has the added benefit of multiple modes controlled by the car's menus.

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
If the exhaust is important to you (for me it was not) then you really should just get the GT.
Sponsored