Sponsored

FINALLY! Femco drain for 2018 up

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
On the Femco, how tight can you tighten the nut to close the valve?
Like the others I worry about it loosening up and also over tightening and compressing the o-ring seal so much it wrecks it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
On the Femco, how tight can you tighten the nut to close the valve?
Like the others I worry about it loosening up and also over tightening and compressing the o-ring seal so much it wrecks it.
You don't tighten anything to close the valve. The valve is closed by a strong spring just like an intake or exhaust valve in the engine. You screw something onto the valve to force the valve open like a cam lobe does for an engine valve. When you unscrew it, the spring forces it closed. Never heard of one leaking but anything is possible BUT after removing the drainer that opened the valve you replace it with a screw on cap. No way you'll have both leak

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wish I had known about this when I bought the Ronin. Oh well, it's too late now. :frown:
I'll keep the Ronin and will hope for the best. We can only hope that the Coyote doesn't have the kind of vibrations and resonances that cause it to fail in the Voodoo.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Holy cow some of you find just the smallest things to cause a huge problem to bash about.

if you're scared that it won't let out all oil, you can just take out the plug after draining the oil through the hose and tadaaaa - I just solved the current problem in your life. You cannot deny that you'll still have the benefits of the drain plug.

Next - if people are so worried about metal parts in the oil pan, then fit a small magnet on the tip of the valve with some epoxy. Magic!

If people go with the Ronin, Femco, a third option or even stay with the standard plug - It is a matter of personal preferences.

I've ordered the Femco after seeing this thread since I thought it was great for me. I don't have a big shop and lift but will have to do with a quick jack. I didn't have a preference but as EU located the cheaper choise was the Femco. And yes I would have loved the magnet tip but guess what... I bought these Magical magnets and will fit one on the plug.

I hate to bash around in a thread but common... making a huge deal out of this is just
1639038500758.png

If interested I will make some detailed pictures and info of the plug when received and fixing the magnet. However I will first mount it on next oil change which is in september '22.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Personally I don't care about the magnet. I don't really think it does anything. First, it's the oil filter's job to retain foreign particles, be they metallic or not. Second, the magnet is too small to clean up ten liters of oil, most of which doesn't even come into contact with the magnet. Now, if the magnet were somehow placed in a thin pipe through which all the oil must pass continuously, then it would stand a change. But as it is, confined to the edge of a big bath in which ten liters of oil just sit and splash uncontrolled... I doubt it has any noticeable effect. Maybe if the entire oil sump were magnetic...

I bought the Ronin for two reasons: avoiding the need to buy a new plug every year (though in the meantime I've found out that this isn't really necessary), and making the oil change easier and less messy if I were to do it myself. The magnet wasn't a reason. It's nice that it has it, but I wouldn't mind if it didn't.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have the Ronin plug. I drain the oil with the car on jack stands. The front raised higher than the rear. Then screw in the release fitting with no hose attached. I can regulate the flow and I have a large oil pan to be able to catch every drop. Once all the oil is out, I remove the plug assembly to drain the small remaining amount of oil. I do this on a stone cold engine, letting the car drain for over an hour letting everything drip out. Remove the oil filter and inspect the magnetic tip. I never seen anything more than a coating of black metallic paste on the magnet. It wipes off with a rag and seems insignificant. The magnet is strong. The particles have nearly no mass and are so small that they would likely pass through the oil filter element. They are easily pulled toward the magnet through the oil. Suspended metal particulates that drains back to the sump would certainly make their way to the magnet.

I have seen the reports of the Ronin ejecting itself or losing aluminum caps when tracking the car. My thoughts are that the increased mass of the Ronin metal plug and the increased vibrations when tracking the car are a bad combination and stress the retaining pins inside the oil pan. Safety wire it, or just stick with the plastic OEM plug in that case. The plastic OEM plug can be removed carefully enough not to cause an Exxon Valdez spill. You just need to hold it and let the oil out slowly. Had I known all this prior to getting the Ronin, I likely would have just continued to use the OEM plastic plug. As for the plastic plug being a one-time use, that was purely marketing bullshit from Ronin to steer you to buy their plug. I have yet to see any service bulletin from Ford that says discard the oil plug.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Holy cow some of you find just the smallest things to cause a huge problem to bash about.

if you're scared that it won't let out all oil, you can just take out the plug after draining the oil through the hose and tadaaaa - I just solved the current problem in your life. You cannot deny that you'll still have the benefits of the drain plug.

Next - if people are so worried about metal parts in the oil pan, then fit a small magnet on the tip of the valve with some epoxy. Magic!

If people go with the Ronin, Femco, a third option or even stay with the standard plug - It is a matter of personal preferences.

I've ordered the Femco after seeing this thread since I thought it was great for me. I don't have a big shop and lift but will have to do with a quick jack. I didn't have a preference but as EU located the cheaper choise was the Femco. And yes I would have loved the magnet tip but guess what... I bought these Magical magnets and will fit one on the plug.

I hate to bash around in a thread but common... making a huge deal out of this is just
1639038500758.png

If interested I will make some detailed pictures and info of the plug when received and fixing the magnet. However I will first mount it on next oil change which is in september '22.
Getting every bit of oil out isn't a huge concern. My concern is the valve getting damaged under the car. I've always wanted an oil drain valve, but I'm too scared of possible damage to the valve leading to all the oil draining out and taking your motor with it.

Fumoto, Femco, Ronin, ValvoMax, EZ, Stahlbus... There are definitely some interesting designs out there.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I really liked the plastic drain plug on the 2018+ S550. I also like the fact that removing the drain plug opens up a large enough hole to allow any pieces of metal to flow out. There is another thread where a member found a crankshaft tooth in his oil and probably saved himself from a failure down the road. I doubt that crankshaft tooth would have fit through either of these drain plugs. Just my $.02.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Nah, then we'd just have to worry about the epoxy dissolving and the magnet rattling around inside the engine until it sticks to something, before or after braking random stuff.
Whatcha gonna do when you unscrew the plug and your glued on magnet is nowhere to be seen? who ya gonna call?

The recent thread with the guy who found a crankshaft tooth in his oil also made me think more about the benefit of a magnet. That tooth is big enough I'd hopefully notice it when changing the oil too, but who knows. And something smaller? Maybe not.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I have seen the reports of the Ronin ejecting itself or losing aluminum caps when tracking the car. My thoughts are that the increased mass of the Ronin metal plug and the increased vibrations when tracking the car are a bad combination and stress the retaining pins inside the oil pan. Safety wire it, or just stick with the plastic OEM plug in that case. The plastic OEM plug can be removed carefully enough not to cause an Exxon Valdez spill. You just need to hold it and let the oil out slowly. Had I known all this prior to getting the Ronin, I likely would have just continued to use the OEM plastic plug. As for the plastic plug being a one-time use, that was purely marketing bullshit from Ronin to steer you to buy their plug. I have yet to see any service bulletin from Ford that says discard the oil plug.
Yeah, that's worrisome. Did that eject happen to anyone but a GT350 owner though? I hope not.
It seems the glorious 350 vibrates a lot and have had some problems due to this, including Ford changing the oil filter in more recent models to avoid it vibrating off the car.

Not sure about the cases with the metal cap falling off, though I also remember seeing that mentioned here. Obviously not a critical problem (only there to protect from debris?), but if that happened on our regular Mustangs I do hope it was simply a case of not screwing it own properly, which can happen to anyone.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've had the Ronin on my '19 F150 for almost two years without issue. Best accessory I've bought for that vehicle, given I change oil hot as you should. I like the idea of plastic-on-plastic with the Femco though.

I suspect vibration was the culprit on the GT350 Ronin ejection.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys. I'm revisiting this oil plug thread - has anyone used this femco plug yet?

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Hey guys. I'm revisiting this oil plug thread - has anyone used this femco plug yet?
Installing mine this week or next when I get the car out.

image.jpg