Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Decades of experience, plain looking, less expensive, unlikely to cause this and other issues: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ronin-oil-drain-plug.118401/page-12#post-3420788

I'd use a Ronin or Fumoto but not if there is a Femco available. Nobody is crazy for using any.
Interesting, but it looks like the Femco, unlike the Ronin, does not include a magnet.

One benefit of the OEM Ford plug is that normally you unscrew it completely, so if there is any metal in there, it will hopefully fit through the hole and go out with the oil.

Both the Femco and the Ronin make the drain hole smaller, since you're not supposed to unscrew the plug completely. Thus if you have bad luck, some pieces which would have drained out with the oil when you completely remove the drain plug may not fit through the smaller Ronin and Femco drain holes.

With the Ronin plug, those pieces will hopefully stick to the magnet, rather than rattling around inside until you at some point (every 4-5 oil changes?) completely unscrew the Ronin plug to inspect the magnet. Also even if the metal pieces are small enough to flow out through the Femco/Ronin drain holes. with the Ronin the metal pieces will (again, hopefully) stick to the magnet, while with the Femco, they would rattle around inside until the next time you drain the oil.

A related benefit is that when you unscrew the Ronin drain plug you can inspect the magnet for small metal particles. This is a lot easier to do than to inspect 10 liters of oil.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I have the Ronin on my F150 and zero complaints, but I do like that the Femco looks to have locking tabs like the OEM yellow plugs.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That's some crazy thing, it's - 80% efficient ............ just nuts

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 6.16.47 PM.png

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
So the more you turn the faster the oil comes out?

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So the more you turn the faster the oil comes out?
Yes. It's shaped and works pretty much like an intake or exhaust valve. But instead of a cam pushing on the valve stem, it's the drainer as its screwed on.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
Interesting, but it looks like the Femco, unlike the Ronin, does not include a magnet.

One benefit of the OEM Ford plug is that normally you unscrew it completely, so if there is any metal in there, it will hopefully fit through the hole and go out with the oil.

Both the Femco and the Ronin make the drain hole smaller, since you're not supposed to unscrew the plug completely. Thus if you have bad luck, some pieces which would have drained out with the oil when you completely remove the drain plug may not fit through the smaller Ronin and Femco drain holes.

With the Ronin plug, those pieces will hopefully stick to the magnet, rather than rattling around inside until you at some point (every 4-5 oil changes?) completely unscrew the Ronin plug to inspect the magnet. Also even if the metal pieces are small enough to flow out through the Femco/Ronin drain holes. with the Ronin the metal pieces will (again, hopefully) stick to the magnet, while with the Femco, they would rattle around inside until the next time you drain the oil.

A related benefit is that when you unscrew the Ronin drain plug you can inspect the magnet for small metal particles. This is a lot easier to do than to inspect 10 liters of oil.
This is interesting….hmmmm

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I would say with the car on two front jackstands and using either plug, you're going to drain as much oil out as you would without the plug but slower and not as messy. You shouldn't need a magnetic plug as your first oil change should have majority of your metal shavings in it. I like the fact that the Femco has locking tabs. Having used Femco on my last Mustang, you simply screw on the drain tube and the oil comes out. Doesn't get much easier than that. Never had any issues with leaks and I did like the screw on cap on my last one.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy this one at this price either. I'll probably end up ordering one for my Mach 1 when I get closer to my first oil change.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Decades of experience, plain looking, less expensive, locking tabs, unlikely to cause this and other issues: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ronin-oil-drain-plug.118401/page-12#post-3420788

I'd use a Ronin or Fumoto but not if there is a Femco available. Nobody is crazy for using any.
The car in the link above has the additional wrinkle of being Voodoo-powered. As most know, there are substantial resonances associated with these little jewels that may contribute to billet oil plug failures. Add in the literal hours or high RPM operation we see on track… I don’t have conclusive evidence, but it’s enough to make me cautious with my car.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have been watching this thread. Is there a link somewhere to buy this femco plug for the S550? I apologize if I missed it...

Sponsored

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
I can't see the Femco letting all the oil out even if you tilt the car up.
What's to keep the dust cap from vibrating off like the Ronin?
I don't like that you have to keep a separate attachment to put a hose on it.
My biggest concern though is getting all the oil out.
I have an upright air compressor that I replaced the tank plug with a ball valve and if you take it completely out it lets more water out. Jacking the car will help some but won't get it all in my opinion. I guess you could always just take the whole thing out like a regular plug and enjoy the benefit of the controlling the oil splash coming out. I'm interested, have to think about it.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1